Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3 'tries too hard', preview round-up

Shoelip

Arbiter
Shoelip said:
Angler said:
Shoelip said:
Angler said:
We all saw the Fallout 3 previews.

Well, make that preview... singular. It was the same damn thing each time Todd showed it, along with the same exact "radiant" encounters.

Except that he did things slightly differently each time and ended up showing us different stuff.

Oh right, I forgot he threw a grenade at that one chick instead of shooting her in one of the previews.

And in one preview he just shot his way through everything, while in another he showed us the hacking and lockpicking. In one preview he didn't show us the Rock-It launcher (and thus how stupid it was, and in others he did... Etc. None of it really made the game look any better but god damn it, if you start just imagining things are even shittier than they are you're no better than the retards you're ridiculing.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Guys! You're judging a game from videos alone! You can't make any final judgements until you have actually played the game! Just wait till the demo comes out so you can decide whether you want to buy it or not.

But don't judge the whole game based on a demo! Remember, the demo is only an unfinished version of the final product and it is not the equivalent of the full version's experience. Also, demos usually last around 30 minutes and, as any idiot knows, it is impossible to form an objective opinion based on 30 minutes worth of gameplay.

Ultimately, if you want to really be able to tell if the game is good or not, then you must go out, buy it, and play it to the end. Preferably more than once. Only then will you be in all your right to say if the game is any good or not.

But hey, if you managed to finish it, then it must have been pretty good to have kept you glued all the way to the end, right? And if lots of other people also bought it, then it's clear evidence that the game is a total success, therefore everyone liked it. The Gold Edition of FO3 is already guaranteed! Game of the Year? More like, GAME OF TEH FOREVER!!!

Mareus

Magister
I agree it is still too early to say if it will suck or not, but it sure does not look good so far. Anyway, I would really like the game to be beyond stupid. I am talking about ultimate stupidity. Bethseda's version of bloody mess and teddy bears is a step in that direction, the lack of AI presented in the demo is another step. VATS looks pretty repetitive and that cinematic camera is just annoying. I really hope you won't be able to switch it off so the game becomes the den of stupidity. I hope the story will be even dumber than in Oblivion and that dialog options in the game will be broken and uncomplete. I am talking about ultimate destruction of what FO once was. Why? So I can see those Oblivion fanboys cry how the game is absolute shit when compared with Oblivion. HA! That would make my day!

Dire Roach

Prophet
Actually, more than enough information exists in the gameplay videos pointing to the fact that FO3 will be guaranteed to be an absolute piece of shit.

It is a hybrid FPS/RPG that will be completely unsatisfying for people who like either or both genres. The RPG part is, so far, nonexistent. The hacking minigame looks as annoying as Oblivion's persuasion wheel. The only thing we know about dialogues is that they have been avoided at all costs in the previews, and that the guy from WIRED said they could be compared to fan-fiction material. Regarding the FPS part, non-VATS firefights appear to be nothing but dull exchanges of fire against opponents that score negative numbers on their I.Q. tests. Weapons do not look attractive and appear to have no "feel" to them at all. Combat will most likely be extremely difficult, if not impossibly so, without the constant use of VATS, which gets old immediately (unlike the Bloody Mess physics for the Toddler).

The only thing Bethesda seems to have imitated from the previous Fallout games are the aesthetics, and even so it was done in a crude and tacked-on fashion. Furthermore, any features shown in the previews are not fully guaranteed to be true or to work exactly as described, as it may be nothing but bait-and-switch material as was the case with many of the features shown in the Oblivion previews.

It is clearly evident that, at best, FO3 will be precisely Oblivion With Guns and VATS. But no matter how tasteless and horrible this concept is, many people will like it, praise it, and recommend it. It might be easily forgotten later on, but it will have sold enough to make it a commercial success, and will serve as a shining example for other companies in the video game industry to imitate.

Chefe

Erudite
entertainer said:
Die in a fire. ^^

It looks like someone failed their sarcasm check.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom