Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So here I am playing MotB finally...

DiverNB

Liturgist
And damn. I'm only just entering the second chapter with my lawful good human favored soul and already the game feels a million times better and interesting than that borefest that was NWN2. The characters are actually interesting and not annoying (So far) and thank GOD they aren't some stupid cliches (Spirit bear fighter? Awesome!).

Even the influence system, from what little I've seen of it, seems much improved. From what little I could stand of NWN2, there were often times I'd be confused as to why I gained/lost influence with my party members. So far with MotB, I have a general feeling of what will piss them off or not, and their personalities so far seem pretty consistent.

I don't really want to bore everyone with another MotB topic by talking too much about something that's months old and been discussed quite a bit, so I'll just ask one final question.

How did this drastic change come about? New lead dev.? New talent? I mean, there was a shit game and they managed to get rid of all the shit somehow involved with it it seems.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I think it's because they tried to stick to the known formula. NWN2 is (obviously) the successor of NWN which is also classic D&D stuff.

I guess that's why they could do something different for the expansion, they were free to experiment more with a new settings, time-limit rules, etc.

Starwars

Arcane
What Gragt said.

If you look over at the Bioware boards, you'll notice that there are a lot of people who really enjoyed the NWN2 OC but who didn't like MotB at all. I don't know what's wrong with them, but there you are. There are actually people who adore the NWN2 OC party members and find the MotB ones to be dull, boring and lacking character.

MotB kinda opened up my eyes to expansions actually, as I think they're definetely a good venue for developers to try out some different stuff. But yeah, there were different people on the MotB team. I really wonder what George Ziets (who was lead dude on MotB) is up to at the moment, I saw some rumours somewhere that he had left Obsidian but I don't know where they came from.
I really hope he didn't because he did really well on the game I think.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
There must be some rules in the industry stating that if you do something different than what is already known people won't like it and the game won't sell.

I guess that Bioware boards are proof enough.

"It's pretty symbolic that the guy behind the NWN 2 OC's story has left Obsidian and joined BioWare."

I wonder what's Ferret Badouin up to these days. I remember that when the news of him leaving for Bioware came out he did some funny posts in the Dragon Age forum... but he hasn't made an appearance of any kind since that. Did he get fired from Bioware?

fastpunk

Arbiter
DriverNM, wait till you get to the sunken city or the ashenwood. Those areas are excellent, they radiate polish and great design decisions. ;) Have fun!

Lestat said:
It's pretty symbolic that the guy behind the NWN 2 OC's story has left Obsidian and joined BioWare.

Yeah, that it is. Also, I thought he got assigned to Dragon Age.

DiverNB

Liturgist
I don't understand how one could stick to that high-fantasy crap for so long, let alone think MotB is boring. Oh well, at least we got a gem in a sea of shit finally (Excluding The Witcher). And if that guy really did get put in charge of the DA team, or is even on it, that really really puts my hopes for that game in the shitter.

Bio: "WE SEE U MADE THAT BORING SHITFEST CALLED NWN2, YOUR LACK OF CREATIVITY AND UNWILLINGNESS TO TAKE RISKS AND EXPAND GAMING IS WHAT WE DO HERE AT BIO WANT A JOB?"
Guy: "SURE"

So maybe it's not quite like that, but you have to admit it sure does sound like it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Still NWN2 had some nice points. For exemple I enjoyed taking care of Crossroads Keep (even if it is reminiscent of BG2), the tutorial area did not feel much like a tutorial and was a decent introduction, I really liked the whole trial event, just too bad it still ended with a fight anyway. And while most characters are bland, a couple stand out, such as Ammon Jerro.

Overall I still liked NWN2. It's very classic, it's stuff we've seen before but it has it's charm in that way. And I admit I was blown away by the quality of MotB, I really did not expect it to be so much different (and in a good way).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
MOTB is just as 'high fantasy' as other D&D products. To say it's not is stupid, and to be delusional.

High fantasy doesn't make something good *or* bad.

"And if that guy really did get put in charge of the DA team"

You are ignorant.

MetalCraze

Arcane
the trial was great. each time it may have some new elements. I wish the whole game was non-linear like that. well yes it ends in a fight, but they made MotB in the end right?

I'm thinking on replaying it myself. so good it was. I also liked how they handled the end. instead of mindless grinder straight to the boss like in most of fantasy crpgs - it was a good finish of the story still with fights but they didn't feel like they were meaningless probably because MotB still had many roleplaying elements even at that stage.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
George Zeits, who is a GREAT writer and a GREAT designer did sadly leave Obsidian. Nobody I know would ever have an unkind word to say about his ability and his work ethic.

He left to be closer to his family, which resides on the east coast.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Lumpy said:
Wasn't Ziets the Lead Designer for MotB?

Yeah, I used the quick reply instead of the quote feature. Someone earlier in this thread asked what happened to him.

I miss George, he was really funny and talented.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Anthony Davis said:
George Zeits, who is a GREAT writer and a GREAT designer did sadly leave Obsidian. Nobody I know would ever have an unkind word to say about his ability and his work ethic.

Fuck! From what I know he was an important part of the MotB team. This is quite a loss.

edit: so he was the lead... even better! :(

Starwars

Arcane
That's a great shame Anthony. I hope he is proud of how MotB turned out.

Did he leave the industry completely for now?

afewhours

Scholar
Anthony Davis said:

Respect to the man. It will be sad to see him go after MotB, but I can't blame anyone for wanting to be with their family.

Best of luck to him.

Lumpy

Arcane
Lead Designer Kevin D. Saunders
Creative Lead George Ziets

I hope Kevin didn't leave too. Anyway, what will this Ziets Obsidian-leaving asshole do in the future? Still going to work on RPGs?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Lumpy said:

I hope Kevin didn't leave too. Anyway, what will this Ziets Obsidian-leaving asshole do in the future? Still going to work on RPGs?

Kevin leave?! Don't even plant the idea please. Kevin is one of those weirdly talented people who can do a lot of different things very well. I think he has a Master's degree from Cornell in engineering, he is a fantastic designer, he's very technical, AND he is a kick ass producer. If Kevin leaves, I'm hunting your ass down.

I hope George is making games somewhere, I honestly don't know.

Andhaira

Arcane
Lumpy said:

Dude, there is no need to call him an asshole, dickhead! :(

Lurkar

Scholar
Starwars said:
If you look over at the Bioware boards, you'll notice that there are a lot of people who really enjoyed the NWN2 OC but who didn't like MotB at all. I don't know what's wrong with them, but there you are. There are actually people who adore the NWN2 OC party members and find the MotB ones to be dull, boring and lacking character.

Then again, the Bio forums also has that one chick who's really creepily obsessed with Bishop, so there you go. I dunno what's wrong with them, I just know there's a lot.

Krokar

Scholar
Anthony, what's up with Chris? Did you guys lock him in the closet or something? He didn't update his blog for ages :(

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
War. War never changes. After George Ziets finally left to the east cost, super mutants had nothing but to follow him. Of course they managed to drive Liam Nesson with them but war never changes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom