Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Hopefully I didn't mix up anything in this tally. Got a bit confusing when people started discussing voting procedures with examples in the middle of the voting.

Code:
1234 - Points added, 1 is highest priority.

CDAB - Nickless DISHONOURABLE VOTE SPECULATION
CDAB - taponaplo
BACD - DarkUnderlord
ACBD - Mikayel
BCAD - Juggernaut
BCDA - anus_pounder
BDCA - laclongquan
CBAD - Radech
BADC - Ulminati
BDCA - Azira
BACD - Flying Spaghetti Monster
CABD - praetor
BCAD - treave
CDAB - root
CADB - BethesdaLove DISHONOURABLE VOTE SPECULATION
CABD - LusciousPear
CBAD - meeneque
BCAD - Conkrete Knight
BACD - obediah
DACB - The Brazillian slaughter
BCDA - Luan

Total points (lowest is best)
A: 57
B: 43
C: 43
D: 67

So right now, B and C are nearly even, A is trailing a bit and everyone points and laughs at D, the losers choice

[edit] Miscounted a vote during the tally. Updated now.

[edit2] Updated due to dishonourable vote speculation

[Edit 3] Nickless changed his vote as well. Lesson learned -- Don't tell people what the current tally is again.

Nickless

Educated
Vote C guys, it's the option that increases our territory without increasing our border with the shitstorm known as the Raumen Expanse.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Nickless said:
Vote C guys, it's the option that increases our territory while increasing the chance we'll be sandwiched between 2 hostile species.

Option C died when we picked shields over peaceful contact with the Amoneth.

Nickless

Educated
That's just a presumption. We may still well be able to have peaceful contact with the Amoneth. That is, even assuming they're there. They could be anywhere. We may have been able to make peaceful contact with them through some advanced extra-dimensional communications device, since they've ascended the mortal sphere, or something, and we may well still be able to make peaceful contact with them anyway if they're for some reason just beyond our territory.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Updating tally. Changing mine to BADC to annul BethesdaLoves dishonourable vote speculation

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
root said:
oh this is sweet, don't we get penalized for doing this? i like it. this is how politics should be.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have been a nice person and tallied the vote. I figured people wouldn't be asshats and speculated in the outcome, but I forgot where I was posting :decline:

I changed my vote specifically so that after BethesdaLoves changed vote was tallied, the sum of the 4 votes would be the same. Can't do much about Nickless following suit though.

taplonaplo

Scholar
If nicks flip changes the outcome, i'm willing to counterflip (just tell me what to). Srsly, the system is made so we avoid this. :decline:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The original tally when I voted had B ahead of C by 1 point - 40 to 41. Assume my tally is out of date now though, what with people changing their votes left and right.

The quantum physicists were right. merely by observing an event, we change its outcome.

taplonaplo

Scholar
OK switched C and B on my vote, now floppers will have a hard time changing the outcome...

taplonaplo

Scholar
originally C was ahead, but the flipping changed that, butt ulminati nullified with his flop (so both C and B increased). Actually you ARE who can change that, coz you can push the balance with 6 points that takes at least 2 new people or a bunch of floppers, who probably has B as first anyway and thus can only shrink the difference with 2 max.

taplonaplo

Scholar
root said:
eh? lost me there, mate. flipping A and D would make a difference? they're already trailing
As i understand we had:
C - 41
B - 40
Nickless, Ulminati, Bethesda flipped around, thus inflating scores
C - 43
B - 43
At this point if i have CxxB and flip to BxxC i change the result to
C - 46
B - 40
Now preator jumps in and bumps B down to strengthen his C, but he can only inflate B by 2 max, since he already had C on top
C - 46
B - 42

taplonaplo

Scholar
I want B to win as well, but not by exploiting the voting system. The point of this system was, that the choice wins that was the most favored one overall, a built in compromise if you wish. I don't want the barbarian to revert back to the old system exclusively just coz some tards can't "lose".

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yeah, in hindsight it was all my fault :/ It is correct that it was 41-40. BethesdaLove decided to flip his vote, and I flipped mine to counterbalance so the scores didn't change, since I found it incredibly cheesy of himn. then nickless changed his, landing us at 43-43. Gods only know what the votes are at now. The system is fine so long as noone can be arsed to tally up the votes. The problem arised when I put it out plainly who were wining, and a couple of butthurt people decided to change their votes solely so that their preferred option could "win" instead of ordering the choices after their preferrence.

I honestly expected better from people. :rpgcodex:

Murk

Arcane
Did this seriously fucking happen?

I motion that we not be allowed to flip flop from now on.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Chaning my vote so that C is last!

Also, optional preferential voting would fix this. Gimme a minute to tally that...

With these votes and by using the system explained here:
  • ACBD - Mikayel

BACD - DarkUnderlord
    BCAD - Juggernaut
    BCDA - anus_pounder
    BDCA - laclongquan
    BADC - Ulminati
    BDCA - Azira
    BACD - Flying Spaghetti Monster
    BCAD - treave
    BCAD - Conkrete Knight
    BACD - obediah
    BCDA - Luan

CDAB - Nickless DISHONOURABLE VOTE SPECULATION
    CDAB - taponaplo
    CBAD - Radech
    CABD - praetor
    CDAB - root
    CADB - BethesdaLove DISHONOURABLE VOTE SPECULATION
    CABD - LusciousPear
    CBAD - meeneque

DACB - The Brazillian slaughter
First Preference Votes (people who chose this as their first option):
A - 1
B - 11
C - 8
D - 1

With D & A both receiving the least votes, they are removed from the count and their preferences are distributed.

Mikayel (who chose A as his first preference) had C as his second preference, so his vote is added to C. The Brazillian slaughter who voted D first, had A as his second preference. As A has also been eliminated, we need to go to his third preference which is also C.

B - 11
C - 10 (+2)

B wins. :smug:

LusciousPear said:
I can also code it up in some sort of popamole javascript thing. (I build distributed databases for a living. I code. A lot.)
Yeah, coding something to avoid the manual count would be cool. People could then easily see what option was winning at any one time - and change their vote if they so desired before the voting closed.

Maybe it's me, but isn't the changing of votes thing kind of gay? I mean, unless the Barbarian gives us new information or someone comes out with an eloquent defense of a stance, switching votes around so your second favorite vote wins is a bit... "gamey". What's the point of having a C&C game if you all are too big of pussies to even stick with your Choices? Biowarian shit here, dude.

obediah

Erudite
Mikayel said:

Don't be a knee-jerk. Or at least do it right and claim to be doing it for the children.

1. Flip-flopping generates discussion of votes. Councilors trying to convince others why their choice is best is a nice part of the game.

2. For several choices, flip-flopping has led to really interesting politicking. I think the key is that it be for simpler votes than this. For choices where the answers to multiple questions, it's essential for example. If I feel that question two is most important and vote AB to later see that AB is dead, but BB is in contention, switching is a good mechanic.

But for this four way point combo, it's just meta-game faggery. Changing the order of your bottom choices to steal an extra point from another contender is not particularly interesting and because there are so many permutations could go on forever.

Murk

Arcane
obediah said:
Mikayel said:

Don't be a knee-jerk. Or at least do it right and claim to be doing it for the children.

1. Flip-flopping generates discussion of votes. Councilors trying to convince others why their choice is best is a nice part of the game.

2. For several choices, flip-flopping has led to really interesting politicking. I think the key is that it be for simpler votes than this. For choices where the answers to multiple questions, it's essential for example. If I feel that question two is most important and vote AB to later see that AB is dead, but BB is in contention, switching is a good mechanic.

But for this four way point combo, it's just meta-game faggery. Changing the order of your bottom choices to steal an extra point from another contender is not particularly interesting and because there are so many permutations could go on forever.

Yes, I have in the past flip-flopped and tried to convince others to change their vote, but it was never this ridiculous. I wasn't serious in saying we should lose any right to flip-flop, but I'd rather have a one-vote system than the current chaos.

p.s - fuck the children

edit: so far it looks like B is going to win regardless if its point based like the Barbarian's or DU's suggested optional preferential method.

Boo.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Maybe it's me, but isn't the changing of votes thing kind of gay? I mean, unless the Barbarian gives us new information or someone comes out with an eloquent defense of a stance, switching votes around so your second favorite vote wins is a bit... "gamey". What's the point of having a C&C game if you all are too big of pussies to even stick with your Choices? Biowarian shit here, dude.
That's why you have optional preferential voting. With that, it doesn't matter. What ultimately matters (in this instance) is how many rank B ahead of C (or vice-versa). As opposed to how many of those that chose B, decide to dump C to the end of their vote in order to put that option down (which is really what's happening with the "every vote scores a point" counting we've just had).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom