Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

anus_pounder

Arcane
:o , thats pretty bad news. I'm kinda worried about moving into the dead zone now.

I'm willing to exchange B and C , but for now i'll stick with what i have.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If memory serves, the Turanei were fairly uninterested in conflict until the Phyr bombed one of their worlds which was apparently holy. Which was when they launched their genocidal crusade of cleansing by holy flame. I actually kind of like the turanei in that respect. They're almost like inferior codexians in their thinking :thumbsup:

Expansion into the Phyr dead zone shouldn't be too risky, so long as we back off if we run into the Turanei.

laclongquan

Arcane
Since we withdraw and stay out of this current unpleasantness, there's nothing in it for us to re-join it. A, of course, is unthinkable.

The original intent of take in the Phyr refugee is to have moral highgrounds when we finally return to recolonize the Dead Zone. Though many delays happen on the way, now we can start this strategy. Recolonize the Dead, NOW! B is priority target.

The amoneth, we lost the last chance to peacefully contact them prior to this shield shit. Recolonize those spaces now may risk clashes with them and not what we need at this moment. C is a weak priority.

And of course, the chance to rebuild, re-corrupt our zealots are un-resistable, stand only behind the drive to colonize. D is a strong one.

A 4
B 1
C 3
D 2

Radech

Augur
C 1 - the amoneth intrigues me, and they don't seem very interested in meddling, as long as we don't start burning planets at random, phyr stile, I don't see that much risk, and it's the potentially more interesting choice.

B 2 - delightfully safe expansion, with potential for huge rewards. It will though give us a massive border to the raumen clusterfuck, and while the tuaranei seem friendly if we don't mess with them, something is going to go wrong at some point and then we're fucked...

A 3 - vultures picking off whatever planets fall between the hin'in/bron fingers, or plunge us into prolonged war with them, both seems lacking in rewards to the large amount of risk it involves, though bug-squishing is always welcome. It's really just a way to move our borders closer to the victor of that conflict which we will eventually be pitted against.

D 4 - booooooooring

anus_pounder

Arcane
Something is definitely gonna go wrong, it wouldn't be the codex council otherwise. That and with a series of non-violent updates, i'm sure some people would lose interest. >_> <_<

EDIT : I'll happily be the master of useless and trivial questions -

Are we using modernized pre-collapse ships or entirely new designs?

Either way, how do they stack up to their commo counterpart, if they use the same stuff, who makes better ones them or us?

Obviously, the other races would probably have improved their own ships, but from whatever intel we have, how do our ships stack up to theirs?

Lastly, a simple yes or no question, were the phyr ALWAYS going to get anal raped by the lizard people no matter what?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
My vote: BADC

I'll go back and edit this later if I change my mind. But Going into the Phyr seems the most sensible option and D is by far the most boring.

The Barbarian said:
A cogent idea.

The Barbarian proposes the following:

Each voter will order their choice preferences, with (1) being the first choice and (4) being the last choice.

Ie:

A - 1
C - 2
D - 3
B - 4

The option with the lowest collated sum wins.

Thoughts are welcomed.

Sounds reminiscent of something someone proposed in the past. If only I could remember who that was...

:rpgcodex:

The Barbarian

Liturgist
were the phyr ALWAYS going to get anal raped by the lizard people no matter what?

In hindsight, quite likely. But, who knows, really? The Turanei were overwhelmingly superior in a technological sense. The Phyr died bravely enough, and seemed to inflict some damage in their own right.

Are we using modernized pre-collapse ships or entirely new designs?

Either way, how do they stack up to their commo counterpart, if they use the same stuff, who makes better ones them or us?

The Barbarian makes a point of notifying this august body of any significant disparity in ship design or capability. In this case, the Commonwealth and the Respublica were fairly evenly matched - both being the inheritors of a highly developed military-industrial and naval doctrine.

The ships you use are a mixture of modernized pre-collapse vessels and entirely new designs. Though the pre-collapse vessel designs have been getting phased out progressively.

Sounds reminiscent of something someone proposed in the past. If only I could remember who that was...

If comrade herostratus wishes to claim credit for this system, he should feel free to do so.

The Barbarian is happy, as long as things work.

:love:

More generally speaking, this is not a system to be used for every decision. But this is a very significant one, so the confusing situation of yester-century will not be repeated.

If it functions especially smoothly, consideration will be given to extending its operation.

By Crom's full-grown beard.

obediah

Erudite
The Barbarian said:
A cogent idea.

The Barbarian proposes the following:

Each voter will order their choice preferences, with (1) being the first choice and (4) being the last choice.

Ie:

A - 1
C - 2
D - 3
B - 4

The option with the lowest collated sum wins.

Thoughts are welcomed.

One issue with this is that you have to vote for all four options:

A - 1
C - 2

seems a valid way to vote, but in this scheme would benefit D&B the most.

Suggestion:

A - 1 = 4pts
C - 2 = 3pts
D - 3 = 2pts
B - 4 = 1pts

Then the highest sum wins, and a councilor only needs to vote for as many options as they choose. Also, current votes don't need to be changed to work under this revision.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
This still leaves us with the problem that there'd be a difference between placing Option X last for 1 point or not placing Option X at all for 0 points. This would encourage people to only vote for one option so as to not give points ot less favoured options at all.

The simplest solution by far is to discard incomplete votes.

obediah

Erudite
The Barbarian said:
More generally speaking, this is not a system to be used for every decision. But this is a very significant one, so the confusing situation of yester-century will not be repeated.

If it functions especially smoothly, consideration will be given to extending its operation.

By Crom's full-grown beard.

I like the idea of using several different voting schemes to mix things up (as long as we know what scheme will be used when voting).

In addition to the straight-vote, linked-choices (where answers to A & B are considered as a single vote), and new waterfall model, I think the following could be fun or tweaked into something fun:

* A heirarchy vote. For example:

A) Isolationism
1) focus on economy
2) focus on defense

B) Intervention
1) send money
2) send troops

Each person would vote for one of the four choices, but first the total for A and B are compared, then the options within the group that won. So if Isolationism wins, only those that voted for isolationism have a say in how we do it. I think it would create interesting flip-flopping and discussion.

*) A compromise vote. Offer extremes as voting choices and then use the ratio of votes to determine the results. e.g. 7 votes for building the fleet and 14 votes for hookers and booze results in 33% of the economy for fleet and 67% for hookers and booze. This is of course dangerous, but nicely models decisions that aren't a single action (declare war?), but rather the result of many decisions over time - different sides will win different small votes, creating a compromise.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Then the highest sum wins, and a councilor only needs to vote for as many options as they choose. Also, current votes don't need to be changed to work under this revision.

For the moment, we will continue with the prescribed method. Further changes to the voting system will be looked into after this round.

Placement, not points.

1. C
2. D
3. B
4. A

C 4 pts
D 3 pts
B 2 pts
A 1 pts

If 'C' is your first choice, friend Bethesda Love, then it should by all rights get 1pt.

For the time being, obediah's cogent proposal is not in effect.

EDIT:

The Barbarian is a barbarian fool; ignore him. He did not notice that you had both systems covered.

Indeed. All four preferences must be allocated.

obediah

Erudite
Ulminati said:
This still leaves us with the problem that there'd be a difference between placing Option X last for 1 point or not placing Option X at all for 0 points. This would encourage people to only vote for one option so as to not give points ot less favoured options at all.

That is true, and it would lead to people placing N rather than N-1 votes looking like newfags. But it provides a much more powerful voting system without extra complexity. If you're all in for one option, then just vote for one. Or you can hedge your vote with a backup plan, but in doing so you make it more likely your backup will win over your first choice.

Since when has simplest been best? But enough people have voted already that there is a good case for discarding partial votes this time around. (EDIT: And Barbarian laid the smackdown while I was typing).

taplonaplo

Scholar
That would be a flipflopping nightmare. Assuming not everyone places priority on one choice, a few people can change the outcome easily.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I can always code a simple system that'd allow people to optionally preferentially vote. The way it works in elections here is thus:

Option - Total (first preference) Votes
A - 9
B - 4
C - 6
D - 3

Option D has the least votes so we knock it out of the running. However, the 3 people who voted D then have their second preference distributed. Let's keep it simple and say that everyone who voted D as their first choice, had B as their second choice:

A - 9
B - 7 (+3)
C - 6

B takes the lead. C is now the result with the least votes so we knock that out now and re-distribute. If someone who voted C had D, B and A as their choices, D is already out of the running so their vote now goes to B. Let's say 5 votes end up going to B and 1 to A:

A - 10 (+1)
B - 12 (+5)

B wins. Even though initially it had the second least number of votes. The key is that only when an option is knocked out, are its votes re-distributed.

Basically I'd code something so that The Barbarian would be able to create options and people would just rank them 1 thru N, the system would do the rest as above. Then people who didn't preference (EG: Only voting D B), if both their preferences are knocked out, their vote is safely discarded without adversely affecting the result.

praetor

Arcane
although the last time was a complete failure, i'm still willing to risk it wit the Amoneth. i'm tired of all the same aliens over and over again. something new is in order. B and D are just playing it safe... :decline:

1-C
2-A
3-D
4-B

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In order of preference:

B
C
A
D

Hopefully we'll meet up with the Turanei again.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Basically I'd code something so that The Barbarian would be able to create options and people would just rank them 1 thru N, the system would do the rest as above.

... Intriguing, but it seems like a fair bit of effort to Conan, who is but a simple man, with simple needs. He does not wish to create work for the great DarkUnderlord.

Let us first see if the system originally suggested functions well enough.

anus_pounder

Arcane
The Barbarian said:
Basically I'd code something so that The Barbarian would be able to create options and people would just rank them 1 thru N, the system would do the rest as above.

... Intriguing, but it seems like a fair bit of effort to Conan, who is but a simple man, with simple needs. He does not wish to create work for the great DarkUnderlord.

Let us first see if the system originally suggested functions well enough.

And I do not wish to cause Conan more trouble, but I must point out he failed to answer the question about human designs vs whatever intel we have on alien ships. If the question was unanswered because of lack of intel, say so and I will cease my endless prattle.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
DarkUnderlord said:
BethesdaLove said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Let us also not forget the Ramen attacked our Ancestors. They are not our friends.
Its Raumen and they didn't. Liar.
Technically it's Raumeni bitch and oh yes they did. Never forget that it was the Ramen who occupied Schadenfreude. :salute:

I have not forgotten. Have you?

Its Raumen bitch and I was talking about the very first war. Since then Codexia became something I don't care about.

C
A
B
D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom