Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Zodiac Legion - X-COM and dungeons

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We added a tutorial to the Demo. It is still a work in progress, and it lacks some functionalities (like being able to see previous messages, and some image integration like we did for the contextual help).
GKV__R5WcAEhO8v

GKUvpf9XUAAsjmi

I also revamped the pathfinding algorithm, so the cursor should be more reactive now. It focuses on getting to the destination in as few turns as possible, then minimizing the zone of controls crossed, then using as few MP as possible:

GJX7dMxWEAA_NFL

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I was wondering about a few things:

What is your opinion about player base? Do you prefer the layout being customizable and used for base defense (ala OG X-COM)? Or do you prefer the layout to be predefined/slightly customizable (like in HoMM and Total War, where you can add some defensive structures, but with a fixed layout)?

1713171191870.png

The current plan was to have this layout (it would be relatively easy to combine with our randomized map system, as we already combine rooms into dungeons ), but it wouldn't really work well with the idea of having a real castle to defend (here is the prototype of the castle tileset):
FzyfwUfWYAIvOsi

It would be possible to mix both approaches by having several "layered skirmishes": the first one on the outer walls, then inside the dungeon complex under it.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I can only say, do what you think is best and have time to implement well. I know, i'm not very helpful.
I'd go for the simpler approach but I am a cautious person. If you feel confident you can make it work as in old X-COM where the base (in base defense mode) was the same as the one you were building in strategic mode then go for it. It would be nice to have, but i imagine it wold be somewhat time consuming to implement well and play test. I'd think a more abstract approach would work well too.

negator2vc

Scholar
The choice depends on the cost of implementing it and testing it.
Both choices are good with the first option been ideal.
If you can afford the cost go for it otherwise the 2nd option is good enough.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Can we have ballista, boiling oil, wolf cages and other kinds of defensive castle weaponry? Sprinkle of Stronghold in this fantasy X-COM Berseker setting

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
The choice depends on the cost of implementing it and testing it.
Both choices are good with the first option been ideal.
If you can afford the cost go for it otherwise the 2nd option is good enough.
Actually, the cost of implementing 1 would be close to zero, as we already use a system of "slotted map" + randomized preset rooms that could work as well with just swapping randomized rooms for the ones that match the base layout.

Can we have ballista, boiling oil, wolf cages and other kinds of defensive castle weaponry? Sprinkle of Stronghold in this fantasy X-COM Berseker setting

But my issue was actually that it would be hard to combine both (ie, room layout matching facilities built by the player, and defenses). But maybe if it happens over two separate maps (one with exterior defenses, and one inside)?

I can very easily live without base management. I didn't care for it in X-Com, NWN2, or Pillars. I prefer BG2 style strongholds where it's a persistent place to dump loot after you conquer it. Maybe a few follow-up events/quests. I don't enjoy it being a money & time sink.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
But my issue was actually that it would be hard to combine both (ie, room layout matching facilities built by the player, and defenses). But maybe if it happens over two separate maps (one with exterior defenses, and one inside)?
That would do the trick! Inner and Outer Castle defense maps. Maybe even breeding small dragons (chihuahuas among dragons), domesticated and friendly to inhabitants of Castle. Defending Castle as their nest during siege

What's of outmost importance is WALLS. If you invest into high, thiccc, brick, beautiful walls, only attacker with siege engines or very rare wall climbing units could attack you. Have fun using ladders. Only one having fun would be defenders

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Can we expect some sort of Kickstarter or Steam Early Access for Zodiac Legion before WW3? By that I mean before end of 2024

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
That would do the trick! Inner and Outer Castle defense maps. Maybe even breeding small dragons (chihuahuas among dragons), domesticated and friendly to inhabitants of Castle. Defending Castle as their nest during siege

What's of outmost importance is WALLS. If you invest into high, thiccc, brick, beautiful walls, only attacker with siege engines or very rare wall climbing units could attack you. Have fun using ladders. Only one having fun would be defenders

I loved defending and assaulting castles in Lords of the Realm 1/2 and in Castle strikes, and it would also be a good use case for a few magic spells. We looked for a design that wouldn't make fighting against winged opponents too much of a disadvantage, because of the large ramparts:
Here is Bellver castle in Spain and the Zodiac fortress:

300px-Castillo_de_Bellver.jpg
1 Chateau (de l’illustration principale).jpg

I'd like to use our modular map system to let the player add artillery or magic defenses on the ramparts.

Can we expect some sort of Kickstarter or Steam Early Access for Zodiac Legion before WW3? By that I mean before end of 2024

However, that would indeed clash with my objective of releasing the game in EA in 2024, so it will have to come later as rampart destruction would be more complex than our current wall destruction.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Allow us to walk through our fully developed castle in peace time, watching lives of all the servants, soldiers, beasts and architectural upgrades. Let it be something added later on

Have you considered becoming one of strategy darlings published by Hooded Horse? Publishers of Manor Lords, Menace, Espiocracy, Xenonauts 2, Old World and many other good titles. You two seem like artistic & business match made in heaven

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Galdred if you go for the customizable castle, would it be easier to just have some facilities as smaller buildings(hut sized, say) in a courtyard inside the walls which could be anywhere in that area, while the castle itself is made of fixed rooms that you will have to fit the facilities in?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Allow us to walk through our fully developed castle in peace time, watching lives of all the servants, soldiers, beasts and architectural upgrades. Let it be something added later on

I'd like to, but that would be quite a few subsystems to add, and I am afraid people won't really use it much, so I cannot promise anything.

Have you considered becoming one of strategy darlings published by Hooded Horse? Publishers of Manor Lords, Menace, Espiocracy, Xenonauts 2, Old World and many other good titles. You two seem like artistic & business match made in heaven

Actually, I have been talking with Hooded Horse founder for a long time. He has been of great advice on quite a few production and marketing related topics, but we haven't moved ahead regarding publishing.

Galdred if you go for the customizable castle, would it be easier to just have some facilities as smaller buildings(hut sized, say) in a courtyard inside the walls which could be anywhere in that area, while the castle itself is made of fixed rooms that you will have to fit the facilities in?

It was something I had been considering. Both systems could work with minimal changes to our map system. However, there is a micro issue of the building walls not being aligned with the castle walls, which could cause some perspective micro issues (basically, the castle walls follow hexagonal directions, while the building walls follow orthogonal ones).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom