Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zelda Series

Ash

Arcane
Link's Awakening = :obviously:

Everything else that I played = Meh. Even LttP.

If you want to play the classics, the best way to do so are from fans. Zelda Classic, Zelda 2 Enhanced PC remake, the decompilation of Link to the Past, the remake of Link's Awakening DX (first thing I did was steal the shovel and the bow as usual, fucking scamming shopkeep), and the decompilation of Ocarina of Time. Soon, we will have the O decompilation of Majora's Mask. Of course, if you want to play the CD-i games, get the remake by the guy who later made Arzette.

Zelda 2 has always been my favorite, and while I like what the updated Zelda 2 enhanced PC remake is trying to do with its extra content, etc... there's something subtle about it that just feels wrong to me. Something with the physics just doesn't feel quite right, it's not 100% accurate to the original game. I kinda wish it was just a romhack.

ind33d

Educated
media hated breath of the wild because it didn't get American demoralization propaganda added to it by federinos

they'll probably make early zeldas illegal

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
There isn't enough talk about A Link Between Worlds in this thread. Hidden gem.

Ash

Arcane
Tried Oracle of Seasons fairly recently and it just felt like a stupid mod of LttP/LA. I am not a fan of world change gimmicks as yeah while the puzzle element and multi-aesthetic appeal is neat, it is ultimately glorified rehashing of level design. Light/Dark world of LttP was already pushing it, but acceptable. Adding yet two more overlapping worlds on top is too much recycling.
None of this shit in the prestigious Link's Awakening, of course.

wolfbane

Novice
I played through around 30 hours of TOTK the other week, and fuck me how that got a 10/10 from IGN and all the Nintendo simps I will never know. They took the pretty mid, 6 or at best 7/10 BOTW and just recycled a ton of it's areas and added a shit load of tedious mechanics into the mix, which get old fast. It's barely worth a 5/10.
As someone who thought BOTW was pretty mid, I actually really enjoyed TOTK. The dungeons don’t hold a candle to OoT dungeons (and no 3D Zelda that I’ve played so far can really compare favorably to the 2D Zelda dungeons) but it was much better than BOTW in my opinion. Level scaling was still dumb, the weapon durability was still dumb, but with the fusion mechanic it was at least much less of an issue. But the atmosphere I enjoyed much more, and Ganondorf made a huge improvement to the game. I actually ended up missing the Guardians though. They definitely added a good sense of danger to BOTW.

TLDR: TOTK is definitely worth a try, even if you didn’t love BOTW. TOTK actually improved my opinion of BOTW overall.

My favorite Zelda is still ALttP, and I don’t see that changing any time soon lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom