Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your Opinion on Art Styles

Preferred Art Style?

• Hand-drawn cartoony style

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2D Isometric (ala PS:T/Fallout/etc)

• 3D, controllable camera

• Total voters

DoctorEars

Novice
Good evening(morning, afternoon, whatever it is for wherever you live), people.

I come to you with a question: what is your preferred art style for an RPG?

I am in very, very preliminary plans and pre-production for an RPG project that I want to undertake. I am at the point where I need to decide what art style to use for the game, because the art style is one of the most important parts of the game.

My first instinct is to go with something 2d and simple, handdrawn and cartoony (mainly because I really enjoy drawing cartoon characters, and because there is a certain style to them). I know I can push out a lot of in-game assets very quickly in this way, and it would give the game itself some charm.

The second instinct is looking back at older RPGs and considering the isometric realistic style. I think it looks good quite often, but I don't know of particular tools for creating the isometric graphics (and I'd also have to talk to my coder brother about the finer points of him implementing an isometric system).

The third instinct is to go with 3D graphics, with either a fixed or controllable camera. I have basic training in 3D modelling and animation, but this would be the most time consuming of the three choices so far. Unless of course I went with the cartoony style but in 3D, which could also work.

I am asking you mainly because my target audience is myself and the other people who want a cool, super in-depth RPG (with the return of item descriptions, among other things).

So what is your preferred art style? It'd also be nice if you tell me if you're partial to any of the others.

Cheers guys,

Sean.

Destroid

Arcane
Whatever you can produce cheaply and to a high quality.

But my personal favourite graphics in an RPG is Fallout 1.

Shemar

Educated
My vote was for 3D but one that allows for the 3/4 zoomed out view common in 2D isometric games. The inherent ability to rotate/pan and zoom in/out solves a lot of display problems typical in the 2D systems.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Art style? Something with realistic proportions, but not afraid of color.

Camera? I prefer isometric or third person, but I can live with first person if the map is not too many key presses away (damn you, SMT I!).

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
How is "isometric" an art style? It's a choice of angle, perspective, not an "art style".

flushfire

Augur
Realistic is your safest bet. It won't stick out (unless of course exceptionally done) but also won't alienate anyone. If you look at a few threads about dungeons of dredmor and frayed knights, there are some people that outright won't try the game because of cartoony art. However it can still be palatable enough even to those who dislike it if you don't exaggerate stuff like sizes of body parts or facial expressions.

also, thread would be greatly enhanced by samples.

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
DoctorEars said:
I'd also have to talk to my coder brother about the finer points of him implementing an isometric system
You would have to talk to him asap. Basically, his skills plus, as Destroid said, "whatever you can produce cheaply and to a high quality" applies here.

In your case I'd say it's not a matter of choosing the right "appeal", but whatever "works" and "can be finished" under the circumstances given (coder's/artist's skills, timeframe, budget, etc.) Good luck!

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
You could always go with roguelike top down tileset style if isometric proves to be too daunting.

Frankly you should work out your mechanics and control style first.

DoctorEars

Novice
Alright, thanks for the responses. This gives me something to think about.

Based upon the poll I'm thinking I might go with a 3D system with a Isometric Camera (by default locked, but can be unlocked if you like to to be freely moved). Now I can start talking to my bro about some stuff.

EDIT: But this is all subject to change after I've talked to my brother about mechanics and everything. So don't take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Do whatever is easiest and...most importantly...what is most enjoyable for you. If cartoons are your forte, then go for it.

You are thinking of starting a large project. Don't get bogged down attempting to do something you find difficult or have no interest in. Failure is the next step when you choose this way.

DoctorEars

Novice
Blackadder said:
Do whatever is easiest and...most importantly...what is most enjoyable for you. If cartoons are your forte, then go for it.

You are thinking of starting a large project. Don't get bogged down attempting to do something you find difficult or have no interest in. Failure is the next step when you choose this way.
Certainly. I don't want to spent months and months doing something I don't enjoy :D

Aikanaro

Liturgist
Realistic is your safest bet. It won't stick out (unless of course exceptionally done) but also won't alienate anyone.

Sure, but that's a shitty way to approach developing a game.

Do the thing that interests you most that's within your means. If you alienate some people, you'll probably draw in others - it depends on how you market it. When it comes to something like art style, that's really something the developer should work out themselves. Poll-driven development is a terrible idea (unless you're going for the cynical cash-grab, I guess).

DoctorEars

Novice
I'm not going for poll-driven development, I'm more or less just having a look at the general consensus. Due to overall personal skill level, realistic 3D graphics are unlikely. I'm still considering the concept of hand-drawn toon style, but you need to be careful with violence and the themes in a toon style otherwise it becomes ridiculous.

This topic merely gives me more to think about based upon others personal opinions. We'll see how it goes.

7hm

Scholar
I prefer isometric when it's done well.

HOWEVER I also am more than ok with well done tilesets. Dungeon Crawl's Tileset / graphics are better than my minimum acceptable level. I still replay the Exile series so...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I enjoy all three -- go with what you're strongest with.

DraQ

Arcane
Personally I like 3D with controlable cam (less than fpp - blob or otherwise, preferably 3D), but I don't mind good iso, though it tends to have problems with objects behind objects.
Still, iso can look perfectly nice too.

As for the style, I prefer realistic to heavily stylized. It's not like stylized graphics can't work, but more often than not it looks like complete shit if adopted for aesthetic reasons rather than technical limitations.

zeitgeist

Magister
Post your design document, and mockup screenshots of all three "styles" done by your artist(s) of choice, otherwise we're just talking about personal preferences that aren't applicable to your specific situation.

You sound like you don't really know what you're saying. How else could I be put in a position of having to answer "3D controllable camera" to the question "What is your preferred art style?"?

I understand you are probably doing this to get a bit of a dialogue going about your little project (as they all do), to help perpetuate your own enthusiasm, but we expect a better understanding on what you are talking about, especially in the Workshop.

For the sake of your own insanity, and to the benefit of the other people here who might get something from a finished product, I would hope you go for the easiest possible option (isometric cartoon).

It would need to play damn well though.

DoctorEars

Novice
I don't really care about getting dialogue going over my project because it's in such early stages of pre-production that you wouldn't see it for several months. I'd rather wait till I have something to show you to start dialogue.

Also, this topic was really only to guage what people seem to prefer. The responses won't decide what I actually end up doing. It's more just to see what the overall preference is.

Very well.

ultimav.png

25-evidence02.png

Add in a touch of animation and this is perfectly satisfactory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom