Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your most memorable, awesome quest in RPG?

SacredPath said:
Talking about Serpent Isle, the entire Shamino quest was also pretty haunting and memorable.

U7:SI has the greatest number of memorable moments for me out of any game I've ever played, with PS:T being #2.

- The trial in Fawn

- Releasing the banes, losing your companions, causing the death of most of the population

- Finding Gwenno

- Dupre cremating himself

- Even putting Boyden together

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The questlines to join the Monastery and then become a mage in it without waiting for years in Gothic 2 were kinda interesting.

The quest to find the Nighthawks using a couple of clues in Betrayal In Krondor was nice. Plus other quests in that game, find the Rift Mechanism, etc.

The whole down into the Bonehoard level in Thief: The Dark Project. After thoroughly freaked out by the few undead you meet in the previous mission you have to go down into old catacombs full of the freaky bastards. I think I literally remember walking away from the game cause I was so scared to play that level. Nice parts include the fact that your map turns out to be worthless in places and that the undead get really mad at you when you steal the artifact you came to get because it was playing soothing music to them.

Esquilax

Arcane
Sergiu64 said:
The questlines to join the Monastery and then become a mage in it without waiting for years in Gothic 2 were kinda interesting.

The quest to find the Nighthawks using a couple of clues in Betrayal In Krondor was nice. Plus other quests in that game, find the Rift Mechanism, etc.

The whole down into the Bonehoard level in Thief: The Dark Project. After thoroughly freaked out by the few undead you meet in the previous mission you have to go down into old catacombs full of the freaky bastards. I think I literally remember walking away from the game cause I was so scared to play that level. Nice parts include the fact that your map turns out to be worthless in places and that the undead get really mad at you when you steal the artifact you came to get because it was playing soothing music to them.

I think you meant the Burricks. Goddamn, that was so eerie. I'm walking through the burrick cave and they're all calm as cows. The music was kinda freaking me out because the louder that droning rhythm was heard, the closer I knew I was to the horn.

Thief I/II are my all-time favourite games, but can you really call the missions in them, as fantastic as they are, quests?

This thread is bringing up some very interesting moments.

Esquilax said:
Thief I/II are my all-time favourite games, but can you really call the missions in them, as fantastic as they are, quests?

I think putting that arbitrary line between mission and quest is going to achieve nothing. Calling Thief missions, quests, is perfectly acceptable IMO, even though this thread was specifically stated as being for RPGs. "Mission" and "quest" are conventions, not definitions. The problem is assuming they were designed to be definitions from the beginning, rather than being a part of the genre-based descriptive terminology as they actually are (same way "RPG" originated). I think you will find that if you strip everything else away, what you have left for a mission or a quest is an objective in a context, the rest is left to designer discretion as to the depth of layering to define that context, including dialogue, characters, worldbuilding, scripted events and other content.

As for memorable quests in RPGs for pure novelty factor, I always liked a lot of the quests in Dark Sun 2. They pulled no stops in including just about anything fantastical element they could think of (with interesting adjustments to fit more into the Dark Sun setting), which while not being a good standard for craftsmanship, do grab the attention of the player really well, especially if you are unfamiliar with many of the tropes of D&D and Dark Sun (I wasn't, at the time).

Investigating the disappearance/murder of workers in the mines was a very atmospheric and sinister mission/quest, even though the mines were pretty horrific to navigate.
Many of the tapestries were interesting as well, including the alchemical processes, the shades banquet thing and the old man who talks in clicks (frustrating, but strangely fascinating).

I should also mention I enjoyed the Bloodmoon werewolf quest(line) in how they all tied together through the dreams and mythology, and really felt a lot better than the standard Morrowind text-database delivery.

As for deep and thought provoking quests, there are not too many of those around. SI did a really good job of structuring its quests with how well the characters are all fleshed out and the inclusion of morals and emotions in so many areas.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Esquilax said:
I think you meant the Burricks. Goddamn, that was so eerie. I'm walking through the burrick cave and they're all calm as cows. The music was kinda freaking me out because the louder that droning rhythm was heard, the closer I knew I was to the horn.

Ooops, yeah. It's been a while so I didn't remember which enemies the music helped with. That level was all kinds of freaky, think it was the first time you met Burricks too, wasn't sure if you could sneak up/backstab/blackjack em, wasn't sure how they would attack, etc.

Close enough with missions/quests. Sure you were stuck with your "thief" role, but you had some say on how thief like you would be and could just go on a murder spree in many of the levels, assuming you weren't on a difficulty level that required you not to kill anyone. Ironically Thief series felt more like an RPG to me then many of the "modern staple RPGs" such as Diablo II, Dungeon Siege II, etc where the only thing your class changed was what kind of particle effects were being displayed as enemies exploded around you.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Dare I say it..

St. Louis - Fallout Tactics.. the first time you get gangraped by mutants with M2 & M249s.
It was both shocking and pleasant after two boring "chapters".

I really liked the combat and the missions.
Too bad it didn't have the depth, writing and RPG elements of the previous two games.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sergiu64 said:
Close enough with missions/quests. Sure you were stuck with your "thief" role, but you had some say on how thief like you would be and could just go on a murder spree in many of the levels, assuming you weren't on a difficulty level that required you not to kill anyone.

I felt the same way about hitman - the way there were multiple possibilites and attitudes to achieve your purpose, the way sometimes the targets moved by themselves and had a schedule - a "story" if you will - and you could insert yourself at any point. It's powerful stuff to shape a "quest" around that, something more rpgs could learn.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Skull of Mondain from Ultima 4 or Flying Carpet from 7. Not exactly "quests"... nobody ever asked you to find either (that I recall) but there were little hints and clues scattered throughout. Both items essentially broke the game (as an added bonus). If you follow a rumor is it still an easter egg?

DemonKing

Arcane
I enjoyed the Sith Quest in the original KOTOR (I think the planet was Koriban) - you got to play two competing Sith lords off against each other and there was some great voice acting involved.

The Severed Hand arc in the original IWD was also good from the sense of it being not only a fascinating dungeon architectually but also with a really great backstory that unravelled slowly as you explored.

I even enjoyed the meeting of the council at the end of DA where I got to marry the queen and execute an annoying NPC simultaneously as a potential rival.

Percy

Cipher
Gecko reactor in fallout two, because you can be a gigantic cunt of a man. Especially trolling the enclave via the mainframe.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Drakefire Amulet quest in WoW :M
Long, tedious and epic storyline that culminates with you getting marched through Stormwind to confront teh trechery while guards salute you, say your name and compliment you for being such a godamn hero.
March finishes at the throne room and you accuse some high-ranking court member of being a dragon, which she is, and transforms into, and then more dragons teleport in and theres a battle. Battles pretty simple if I remember but its also a room away from the PvP queue and you can kite them in there and theyll p much insta-kill any low levels. Afterwards your congratulated for being so awesome and it kicks off the questline for getting into and killing Onyxia in her lair. Pretty prestigious stuff at the time.
Basically the quest that initiates you into high-level raiding in old WoW, but also kinda neat too cause at the same time includes you being marched through one of the main player hubs while npcs announce to everybody how awesome you are. :D

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah. I don't hate WoW, moments like that was great...but I simply quit because I can't keep up with the guild progression and lack of interesting quests to go through.

Would you recommend Cataclysm?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
SCO said:
Sergiu64 said:
Close enough with missions/quests. Sure you were stuck with your "thief" role, but you had some say on how thief like you would be and could just go on a murder spree in many of the levels, assuming you weren't on a difficulty level that required you not to kill anyone.

I felt the same way about hitman - the way there were multiple possibilites and attitudes to achieve your purpose, the way sometimes the targets moved by themselves and had a schedule - a "story" if you will - and you could insert yourself at any point. It's powerful stuff to shape a "quest" around that, something more rpgs could learn.

I'll second that!

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
RK47 said:
Yeah. I don't hate WoW, moments like that was great...but I simply quit because I can't keep up with the guild progression and lack of interesting quests to go through.

Stopped playing around time naxxramas got released. Heard good things though; harder apparently and whole map graphical conversion cant be bad.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Memorable quests, hmm...

Off the top of my head, as it should be:

Fallout 1 - The Glow. Amazing stuff, really great atmosphere and interesting gameplay there. The gameplay's become stale after my second playthrough, but the atompshere's still there.

Arcanum - the gnome conspiracy quest, the speech mastery quest (diplomat characters finally getting some recognition, plus the option to assassinate the king of Caladon) and the Panarii temple extravaganza (St. Mannox and K'an Hua).

Planescape: Torment - dealing with the fallout of your psychotic incarnation's deeds, and the incarnation's zany journal. Ignus extravaganza, learning that the Nameless One made him into a burning bad motherfucker. Teaching Nordom to be a more efficient Modron.

Gothic 1 - killing Gomez after finally becoming badass enough and teleporting into the now locked-off Old Camp. Fuck yeah.

Gothic 2 - getting into Khorinis. And the pirate dudes in the Night of the Raven.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The Umar Hills questline in Baldur's Gate 2 was pretty good. Starts off with a kid telling you he was sent to the city to find some strong adventurer types to help out his town. Once at the town, you go to the mayor and he fills you in; there have been constant disappearances and nobody has any real clue what's causing them. Even their defacto protector, a local ranger, has disappeared. The mayor suggests that it's a band of ogres that have camped outside the town but upon questioning them you find that their people have been disappearing too.

It all culminates in you finding the source of the kidnappings in a haunted temple to an ancient sun god, and you being able to fight a shadow dragon.

RK47 said:

Your post wasn't directed at me, but having recently quit I'll say that Cataclysm is really just more of the same, and not in a good way.

Duckard

Augur
The Glow felt more like a dungeon crawl than a quest, but the way it revealed the story of what happened and how it tied into the back story of the game itself was excellent. It helped that it wasn't just a typical slog through a dungeon, but was focused on things other than the combat.

Icewater said:
The Umar Hills questline in Baldur's Gate 2 was pretty good. Starts off with a kid telling you he was sent to the city to find some strong adventurer types to help out his town. Once at the town, you go to the mayor and he fills you in; there have been constant disappearances and nobody has any real clue what's causing them. Even their defacto protector, a local ranger, has disappeared. The mayor suggests that it's a band of ogres that have camped outside the town but upon questioning them you find that their people have been disappearing too.

It all culminates in you finding the source of the kidnappings in a haunted temple to an ancient sun god, and you being able to fight a shadow dragon.

I don't think any quest in BGII was as good as the drow arc.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What made The Glow pure awesome cRPG wise was reading and using all the book you found from there, and dying of radiation. THAT was pure awesome.

Good luck with that BioWare and Bethesda. Gotta make your games "accessible". Don't want to lose any angry casual customers.

r00fles!!!

RatFink

Educated
The Glow has my Vote too!

arriving at this huge crater to find out ..oh.. a rope would be nice..
..fetching a rope.. and all the while thinking: HOLY SHIT THIS HAS TO BE AWESOME!
..The Glow did not disappoint!
..leaving..
..dying on the world map.
then figuring out why the fuck i always died...
..then facepalming after realizing that there is a slight radiation problem :retarded:
..being angry about my stupidity.
loading a couple of hours old savegame and doing it all over again..and dont fuckin rage, but look forward to it again! :salute:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wasn't too impressed by the glow, but then again I played FO1 properly only one or two years ago and the Codex pumped my expectations too high I guess. Was a pretty neat place, though, I liked the supercomputer you can find down there.

Also, gotta agree with Jaesun, dying from radiation was an awesome experience. First time I got to the glow, I didn't have a rope with me, so I wanted to go back to town to get one. I died on the way there, was like "LOL WUT" and reloaded. Same again. Then I checked my char sheet and I was horribly radiated.

Had to reload a few hours old savegame. I raged a lot but damn, it was a positive rage experience, the kind of rage experience I really miss about modern games.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I am surprised, Jaesun and JarlFrank.

Before you even left for the Glow, the Brotherhood of Steel guy warned you that there is radiation there, and even told you explicitly that you need Rad-X. This was not a hint, it was a solution given straight away before the quest even began.

And you still messed it up?

I ask, because both you guys have played many adventure games with many hard hints and clues that have to be followed. If you could manage them, how could you not manage this radiation issue in Fallout?

Maybe some gamers are so used to paying attention to hidden clues that are difficult to uncover, that they ignore or fail to pay attention to those things that are told quite clearly and plainly.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because I only took the anti-rad stuff when I reached the glow. Assumed the radiation wouldn't be too strong at the entrance and wouldn't fuck me up that quickly. Other radiated places in the game never hit you that heavily in such a short amount of time.

Dark Elf

Erudite
The Oceanside Hotel in VtMB. Actually had to finish it in broad daylight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom