Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your most memorable, awesome quest in RPG?

ChristofferC

Magister
I too played Fallout for the first time a few years ago and loved the Glow.

ChristofferC

Magister
PrzeSzkoda said:
Gothic 1 - killing Gomez after finally becoming badass enough and teleporting into the now locked-off Old Camp. Fuck yeah.
That was extremely satisfying.

mister_matt

Educated
ChristofferC said:
I too played Fallout for the first time a few years ago and loved the Glow.

I finished Fallout for the first time just last night, and the glow quest from the brotherhood was probably the most memorable part of the game for me. There wasn't even much to do there, but the atmosphere was really neat, and certainly more interesting than Yet Another Wasteland Town™. I found some of the towns/exploration sites to be a little generic, but the glow had a really great atmosphere.

I liked it up until I died trying to leave. I took two rad-x on the adjacent map square, but I stayed too long or something like that, so the rad-x I took before I tried to leave wore off or something. I did it a second time, and had to pop three rad-x pills just to leave on the world map. Other than that, it was a nice change from the blandness of the other towns and what have you.

malichaixx

Novice
Kaanyrvhok said:
Sokal Keep in Pool of Radiance
The origins of the undead there and the way you have to piece together clues to learn a password so they wont fight you.

This. Also the Finster's Mind Maze thing in Wasteland, and just about everything in Fallout.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
First post for me. I would have to say, in KOTOR after Dantooine going immediatly to Koriban and completing your sith training with just what the academy gives you in the locker by your bed and your lightsaber with only a red crystal (being replaced for the final test with the ceremonial Sith Lightsaber). I only wish the quest had been longer and maybe did the KOTOR2 thing of unlocking secret abilities through sucking up to your colleagues.

Of course making Koriban your last planet to complete yields some of the best "suck it bitches" moments in the game.

Khor1255

Arcane
All of them are from pen and paper rpgs. One I remember particularly well was in a medieval game where a friend of mine was on a quest for a 'silver sword' because he was told it was imbued with the ability to put down vampires in an area especially infested with them.
It involved dealing with gypsies (who considered it a sword of kingship even among disparate clans), fighting a witches coven, finding and revealing the secrets of an 'under-city' beneath a small hamlet where a lot of the action took place.

At one point, certain aspects of the church they were staying at (for refuge against the coven and it's extended influence) caused one member to commit suicide and another to be possessed with an 'evil eye' that caused him to see things that weren't really there.

Anyway, it all played out over the course of a couple of years in real time and was pretty cool.

That quest in Baldur's Gate II where you find the crazy fucker that's skinning people to make clothes or whatever the hell.

Duskification

Novice
Told to exterminate rats in the basement only to have your ass handed to you by a huge fire-breathing rat. Then running up back to the tavern and getting the fire doused out... Was quite a funny experience for me.

Memorable? Turning on power for The Glow (something along those lines)

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Duskification said:
Told to exterminate rats in the basement only to have your ass handed to you by a huge fire-breathing rat. Then running up back to the tavern and getting the fire doused out... Was quite a funny experience for me.

Memorable? Turning on power for The Glow (something along those lines)
Yeah, I liked turning on power for the Glow, because all that effort was rewarded with a Plasma Rifle.

Getting a plasma rifle was real work in the first Fallout, since it meant going to that obscure, radioactive part of the map, reaching the lowest level in it, repairing a generator difficult to repair without losing so much time that your Rad-X wears off, and quickly making off with your prize, without getting bogged down by the sentry robots.

Later, sneaking past a group of Deathclaws and getting some machine parts rewards you with an upgrade for your plasma rifle, making you the most dangerous person in the wasteland. Hard work that nets big rewards.

By contrast, it was relatively easier to find a plasma rifle in Fallout 2, since it was just there in the military base. It made me think, "Man, and I had to survive a radioactive base to find one in Fallout". (And if you are in metagaming mode, you could instantly jump to Navarro and get the plasma rifle and power armour from there too.) However, I admit Fallout 2 made up for it, by making the weapon progression much slower throughout the game.

Marobug

Pretty much every quest on baldur's gate 2.
The game has it's flaws, namely the total clusterfuck that is the combat system but man it was memorable.
That part where you find out Yoshimo is the traitor ?
Not only he was by far the most charismatic, enigmatic and enjoyable character on my party (hence my favourite), I would've never have guessed that any of my party members could pull something like this.
I first felt like wtf, I'm so gonna kill him, but when I actually did it I felt really remorseful.
Also that part where my character goes all godzilla and scares the shit out of that vampire lady I don't recall the name ? I fucking loved it, i was all like SHOWTIME and really looking forward to meet irenicus again so I could kick his ass back.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The haunted hotel in Bloodlines.
The Glow in Fallout.
The entire Fortress of Regrets sequence in Torment. And the Drowned Nations. And the Brothel. And pretty much everything else.
There are probably more but that's all off the top of my head.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Once in a while, we would see some quests which even if they give you 0 exp and no loot you'll feel so terribly shocked at the questing experience.

To me, the half-ogre quest in Arcanum is the best of all time.

That whole questline is simply creepy. You begin the quest as a simple "investigate some strange skulls", and as the plot goes on you begin the discover more and more disturbing stuff.

As more and more (very disturbing) proof and story of the quest revealed out, and the conclusion is coming near, the quest giver simply disappeard, and a strange halfling just stood there, telling me that what I've found may or may not be the truth. he even said something that I remind myself in real life at all time: when you want to hide something, you shall send out fake AND real messages mixed together; when people can't differ which are real and which are not, the whole story will simply disappear someday. The guy even taunts me that if I feel angry and even want to kill him there's no use, because he's not the only one.

So of course out of rage I killed the lying bastard, and gave the proof (a notebook) to the press. The guy says he'll release the news the next day. One day later, another guy was standing in the place, and he claims there's no such Mr journalist working there.

I even used the ship to go to a mysterious island, on which there's a huge secret facility made for breeding half-ogres. But by the time I arrived there this time, all the equipment were removed. The whole place is empty.

Which means what I've discovered during the whole quest are all for naught. I don't even know what is real and what is not anymore. I can stil remember the creepy feeling after the quest ended, feels like constantly being watched or laughed at.

And that's only a sidequest.

Any other good games with such terrific literary mind-blowing quests?
I was never able to do this quest, because de Cesare attacked me when I spoke with him in gentleman's club... both the first time and when i replayed the game. Fucking annoying.

Ondoval

Novice
* The first castle in Draaken (I was young and...woooow ! )
* The haunted mansion in Vampire Bloodline (by night and with gound sound)
* BG 2 : The drow city. Awesome quest.
* PST : When you talk with Ravel in the Labyrinth, Awesome !
* Oblivion : assassin quest, where you must kill evryone in a mansion, one by one. And they must thinck it's not you.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar.
Ultima VI: Getting to know the Gargoyles and their culture, realising that you were a mass murderer, a thief of their most holy relic, a racist and had destroyed their very home. Nice going.
Ultima VII: Helping the people of Paws and forging the Black Sword.
Torment: Which one to choose? Learning the words of Zerthimon with Daakon I think, and finding yourself trapped in the Tomb of the Immortal's Incarnations, and poor old Mebbeth.
Betrayal at Krondor: The alien world, left dead and stunted by the passing of the raging Valheru.
Fallout: Entering the Master's Vault under the Cathedral, creeping through the horror and madness until finally facing what was left of poor Richard Grey.

Lots of others.

bminorkey

Torment: Which one to choose? Learning the words of Zerthimon with Daakon I think,

That wasn't really a quest, just a lot of reading and pop quizzes

Perkel

Arcane
Finding your first hidden portal key in PST.

I was like ....................................................................................................................

Perkel

Arcane
What made The Glow pure awesome cRPG wise was reading and using all the book you found from there, and dying of radiation. THAT was pure awesome.

Good luck with that BioWare and Bethesda. Gotta make your games "accessible". Don't want to lose any angry casual customers.

r00fles!!!

yep. In FNV you can bathe in water after nuclear explosion like nothing.

iLkRehp

Literate
Having to learn the runic alphabet in Ultima IV

Playing 'Stones" in Ultima V

Master levels in Dark Age of Camelot, Trials of Atlantis.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
VTMB: the Haunted Hotel thing.
KOTOR2TSL: the tutorial level is pure gold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom