Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News You won't run out of Dragons in Skyrim

Mastermind said:
The dragons have been compared with the big daddies from Bioshock, and Todd explicitly asked someone to remove a three dragon random event from the game because 3 dragons are too much for anybody to take on.

Coudln't you avoid the Daddies until you felt prepared to take them on, though? Would be nice if there were encounters you just can't take on, forcing you to run like hell. the Oblivion mods that put monsters beyond your level in the gameworld create nice situations. One made me run from a Umberhulk Queen (*sound of DraQ screaming*) for a long time, and it ended with me attracting her to the Azura Shrine, where I lost her while she proceeded to slaughter the occupants. Another spawned a strong variation of an ogre while I was looking for the door in some Ayleid ruins, and I didn't notice it until he was behind me. I had to look for a pillar smalle enough to climb and stay on until he lost interest

Clockwork Knight said:
B-but how will Bethesda create unique shouts for all the infinite dragons? Surely they won't be slight damage / element variations of each other, will they?

Kill level 1 red dragon, get level 1 red dragon shout. Kill level 2 red dragon upgrade to level 2 red dragon shout. Thats my prediction. Having all these randomly generated dragons swarming around you like cliff racers while you aim towards the sky and in the best of TES tradition spam the attack button as fast as possible and with no chance of dieing thanks to level scaling will sure make for a fun game, right guys?

hakuroshi

Augur
Clockwork Knight said:
Morrowind was also restricted by high places everywhere, which made the gameworld look bigger than it is. Could mean that, too.

They were not impassable, just... restricting. If Skyrim will be that way I have no problems.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Mastermind said:
The dragons have been compared with the big daddies from Bioshock, and Todd explicitly asked someone to remove a three dragon random event from the game because 3 dragons are too much for anybody to take on.

Coudln't you avoid the Daddies until you felt prepared to take them on, though? Would be nice if there were encounters you just can't take on, forcing you to run like hell. the Oblivion mods that put monsters beyond your level in the gameworld create nice situations. One made me run from a Umberhulk Queen (*sound of DraQ screaming*)
:rage:

for a long time, and it ended with me attracting her to the Azura Shrine, where I lost her while she proceeded to slaughter the occupants.
Wait, wha? :/

Another spawned a strong variation of an ogre while I was looking for the door in some Ayleid ruins
Ah, oblivious? Nevermind, carry on, it's not like you can inflict any more rape on the lore.
:smug:

hakuroshi said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Morrowind was also restricted by high places everywhere, which made the gameworld look bigger than it is. Could mean that, too.

They were not impassable, just... restricting. If Skyrim will be that way I have no problems.
But then you'd need some levitation, or acrobatics skill. :troll:

Or to be a dragon. :obviously:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Modders will try to fix it, but why should they have to and can they fix everything? Obviously the game is already going to be built around this infinite dragon idea, so just killing respawns in mods will probably not be enough to consign this idiotic idea to the shit heap without repercussions for the rest of the game.

empi

Augur
There never has been a perfect RPG, some have come close but they always lacked something. I always wondered what it was, it stunned me, baffled me, but now it has dawned upon me. None of them had infinite fucking dragons. Skyrim will be the perfect RPG, no doubt.

empi said:
There never has been a perfect RPG, some have come close but they always lacked something. I always wondered what it was, it stunned me, baffled me, but now it has dawned upon me. None of them had infinite fucking dragons. Skyrim will be the perfect RPG, no doubt.

I just woke up and I can't be arsed to think too hard, but no game ever had dragons in random encounters?

DraQ said:
Ah, oblivious? Nevermind, carry on, it's not like you can inflict any more rape on the lore. :smug:

:)

You say that, but I bet you are still screaming inside. Your Smug.gif is but a mask. Just think...

whisper-small.jpg

Umberhulks in TES...

Gord

Arcane
The possibility of infinite dragons means nothing as long as we don't know how often they are going to appear.
Fixed dragon spawn points that refill every 3 ingame days sounds retarded, yes, but if you see one every couple of hours (give or take a few because of scripted quest-related events) then it probably won't be noticeable in an average game.

I guess they made them "infinite" out of fear that some of those people that put 300+ hours into one character will not out of dragons to kill and go all herp-derp on them because of it.

Btw.: Someone should make a mod for Morrowind that replaces the Ascended Sleepers with Umber Hulks.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Clockwork Knight said:
I just woke up and I can't be arsed to think too hard, but no game ever had dragons in random encounters?
Might and Magic did. Pretty sure some of the random encounters in the Krynn trilogy would've (especially Dark Queen). Can't be arsed to think beyond that.

Umberhulks in TES...
Female PA. Spider Gun. Sad Skaarj.

I laugh at your pathetic umberhulks.

Secretninja

Cipher
Big daddies left you alone until you attacked them or their little girl. And all of the final fantasies have dragons in their random encounters. If oblivion is an rpg so is final fantasy 7.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah, no atriibutes, level scaling, lore niga necro rape gangbang and dragons, infinite ones, good this shit won't be even worthy to pirate it. Almost got fulled by screens with new art direction, thankfully Howard is always on duty to derp. :thumbsup:

Dezzy

Novice
If an areas level doesn't upscale once you visit, can't you theoretically just explore the world right away, and lockdown all the areas to a low level?

Dezzy said:
If an areas level doesn't upscale once you visit, can't you theoretically just explore the world right away, and lockdown all the areas to a low level?

Isn't this same scaling model used in FO3? In theory yes, but you'd have to sneak around the whole world to avoid confrontation, and run when spotted.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Clockwork Knight said:
Dezzy said:

Isn't this same scaling model used in FO3? In theory yes, but you'd have to sneak around the whole world to avoid confrontation, and run when spotted.

Fallout 3 had a couple places where you always run into crazy monsters (Remembers the town full of Deathclaws and the cave of Deathclaws).

Anyways, I'll wait and see if this pile is going to be shitter than Oblivion or just as bad. I'm sure some brave Codex soul will play it.

DraQ

Arcane
Commissar Draco said:
Ah, no atriibutes, level scaling, lore niga necro rape gangbang and dragons, infinite ones, good this shit won't be even worthy to pirate it. Almost got fulled by screens with new art direction, thankfully Howard is always on duty to derp. :thumbsup:
What can change the nature of a derp?

Sceptic said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Might and Magic did. Pretty sure some of the random encounters in the Krynn trilogy would've (especially Dark Queen). Can't be arsed to think beyond that.

Umberhulks in TES...
Female PA. Spider Gun. Sad Skaarj.

I laugh at your pathetic umberhulks.
In enduring you have grown strong. :obviously:

Clockwork Knight said:
Umberhulks in TES...
Oblivious is not TES.
:smug:

And no matter what you do to it it will be astronomically insignificant compared to what oblivious did to the series on it's own (if you assume that it is TES - like you do in proofs by contradiction).

Gord said:
Btw.: Someone should make a mod for Morrowind that replaces the Ascended Sleepers with Umber Hulks.
:rage:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Scaling mechanics and animations would be too much to expect from bethshit i guess.

Edit: I admire a person whose only joy is to bring pain and misery and cynicism unto gamers.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I bet the 'brand new engine' line is bullshit too, just a jury rigged, slap dash graphical superstructure on top of the latest revision of Fagbryo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom