Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News You won't run out of Dragons in Skyrim

Luzur

Good Sir
herostratus said:
I thought dragons were a bit like gods in the elder scrolls universe...?

The Dragons are a rare (and often believed to be extinct) Akaviri race of large reptilian beasts capable of flight and the ability to create fire[1]. Little is known about them beyond their remarkable intelligence and ability to communicate[2][3] with Nedic visitors to Akavir years ago. There are at least two subspecies, or varieties of dragon; red and black[4]. Their population in Akavir was killed by the Tsaesci, whereas the dragons in Vvardenfell were overrun by the invading cliff racers. It was rumored that they moved closer to Cyrodiil, and it may be for this reason that dragons are sacred to the Empire. The legends tell of their aid during wars in exchange for shelter. The avatar of the chief deity of the Nine Divines Akatosh, is a golden dragon. Its relation, if any, to the Tamrielic dragons is unknown - but many stories tell of Akatosh co-mingling with and organizing groups of dragons, although this representation may be metaphorical. If dragons still exist at all, they are never encountered by the mortal races. It has been suggested that they may be able to shapeshift in order to disguise themselves. It is rumored that Tosh Raka, leader of the Tiger people of Ka Po' Tun, has succeeded in transforming himself into a dragon, a rumor which is substantiated by Mysterious Akavir.

Historically, dragons lived in and around isolated villages, located high in mountain ranges. If any of these settlements still exist, they remain undiscovered. The villages were aptly situated in areas that allowed both free flying without obstructions and flats for raising cattle. Dragons were known to keep deer and other animals for food, and their meals would simply involve flying low over a ranch and swooping down upon one of them. Dragons were also known to maintain lairs - usually in derelict mining tunnels - safe from thieves and other aggressors.

Young dragons, called Dragonlings, can be found around the Iliac Bay area. These can be calmed by speakers of Dragonish.

from their own lore.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
commie said:
I can't believe that that I dared to harbor a small hope that Skyrim would be some kind of improvement, that they would LEARN from the clusterfuck that was Oblivion. Foll me twice, shame on me.

Waiting for level scaling to return now as well in some next-gen weaselly worded way.

Level scaling has been in TES since Arena. Not a single TES game has passed by without level scaling.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Mister Arkham said:
Were there seriously people who were concerned about this? It's an open-world, open-ended TeS game. Being able to kill infinity dragons seemed like kind of a given to me.
Codex isn't renowned for having an informed, intelligent and sane membership.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Mister Arkham said:
Were there seriously people who were concerned about this? It's an open-world, open-ended TeS game. Being able to kill infinity dragons seemed like kind of a given to me.

And you are the best example of that right?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Zdzisiu said:
Mastermind said:
Mister Arkham said:

I am not one of you subhuman apes if that is what you are inferring.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Luzur said:
herostratus said:

The Dragons are a rare (and often believed to be extinct) Akaviri race of large reptilian beasts capable of flight and the ability to create fire[1]. Little is known about them beyond their remarkable intelligence and ability to communicate[2][3] with Nedic visitors to Akavir years ago. There are at least two subspecies, or varieties of dragon; red and black[4]. Their population in Akavir was killed by the Tsaesci, whereas the dragons in Vvardenfell were overrun by the invading cliff racers. It was rumored that they moved closer to Cyrodiil, and it may be for this reason that dragons are sacred to the Empire. The legends tell of their aid during wars in exchange for shelter. The avatar of the chief deity of the Nine Divines Akatosh, is a golden dragon. Its relation, if any, to the Tamrielic dragons is unknown - but many stories tell of Akatosh co-mingling with and organizing groups of dragons, although this representation may be metaphorical. If dragons still exist at all, they are never encountered by the mortal races. It has been suggested that they may be able to shapeshift in order to disguise themselves. It is rumored that Tosh Raka, leader of the Tiger people of Ka Po' Tun, has succeeded in transforming himself into a dragon, a rumor which is substantiated by Mysterious Akavir.

Historically, dragons lived in and around isolated villages, located high in mountain ranges. If any of these settlements still exist, they remain undiscovered. The villages were aptly situated in areas that allowed both free flying without obstructions and flats for raising cattle. Dragons were known to keep deer and other animals for food, and their meals would simply involve flying low over a ranch and swooping down upon one of them. Dragons were also known to maintain lairs - usually in derelict mining tunnels - safe from thieves and other aggressors.

Young dragons, called Dragonlings, can be found around the Iliac Bay area. These can be calmed by speakers of Dragonish.

from their own lore.

What the fuck do those dragons have to do with Alduin and his bros, who've been asleep so long he was getting conflated with Akatosh by the nords?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Mastermind said:
Zdzisiu said:
Mastermind said:
Mister Arkham said:

I am not one of you subhuman apes if that is what you are inferring.

I agree. Tell me more about your informed, intelligent and sane opinions

Mister Arkham said:

With the "you collect a dragon's soul when you defeat him, to gain his power as a shout" notes, I thought they were going to be unique bosses you defeat along the storyline.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
With the "you collect a dragon's soul when you defeat him, to gain his power as a shout" notes, I thought they were going to be unique bosses you defeat along the storyline.

Like God of War? You think it was going to be that complex?

bat_boro

Arcane
commie said:
Can't wait for the fun of running through the wilderness: the cut-pasta land sprawled out in front; 30-40 dragons on my back....

You got it all wrong bro

Can't wait for the fun of running through the wilderness: the cut-pasta land sprawled out in front; 30-40 dragons running like hell with me on their back...

:yeah:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
The Dragons are a rare (and often believed to be extinct) Akaviri race of large reptilian beasts capable of flight and the ability to create fire[1]. Little is known about them beyond their remarkable intelligence and ability to communicate[2][3] with Nedic visitors to Akavir years ago. There are at least two subspecies, or varieties of dragon; red and black[4]. Their population in Akavir was killed by the Tsaesci, whereas the dragons in Vvardenfell were overrun by the invading cliff racers.
Horrible infinite creatures.

commie said:
Can't wait for the fun of running through the wilderness: the cut-pasta land sprawled out in front; 30-40 dragons on my back....
The Toddliest said that your movement would be more restricted by the mountain ranges - I interpreted this to mean that the landscape will be less like wilderness and more like the narrow debris-encased streets of Washington DC in FO3.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
perhaps he meant fast travel would not be possible through mountains

that would truly be restrictive

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Andyman Messiah said:
Trash said:
Dragons are the new oblivion portals.
Not really. There was a strict limit to how many Oblivion portals could spawn, after which they would stop appearing.

DraQ said:
Scaling is in, except it will not upscale already visited locations.
So, exactly like Fallout 3.

In before "Fallout 3 has no scaling" :smug:

DraQ said:
herostratus said:
I thought Cyrodiil was a bit like jungle.
:salute:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
herostratus said:
commie said:
The Toddliest said that your movement would be more restricted by the mountain ranges - I interpreted this to mean that the landscape will be less like wilderness and more like the narrow debris-encased streets of Washington DC in FO3.

Aha, well that means that the ONLY shit thing that wasn't in Oblivion, will be added in Skyrim. I suppose you'll only be able to go between areas using the cutpasta subway cave system.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Clockwork Knight said:
Mister Arkham said:

No, you read the shouts off walls. Collecting souls just makes them stronger.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
bat_boro said:
commie said:

You got it all wrong bro

Can't wait for the fun of running through the wilderness: the cut-pasta land sprawled out in front; 30-40 dragons running like hell with me on their back...

:yeah:

The dragons have been compared with the big daddies from Bioshock, and Todd explicitly asked someone to remove a three dragon random event from the game because 3 dragons are too much for anybody to take on.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Luzur said:
Mastermind said:

because he asked about Dragons?

You talked about the wrong ones though. It is unclear what (or even if) they have to do with Alduin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom