Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information You Will Believe a Golden Baby Can Fly: Grimoire on Indiegogo

Alex

Arcane
So, I don't think we could get a Codex campaign going on, could we? It would be nice if we could stick in a codex dungeon into the game...

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Am I the crazy one for thinking this game actually looks really good?!!

No, it really does look good. It's the history of the game and Cleve particularly that's making me hesitant to pledge.

E: And the fact that he doesn't really seem to need the money.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I discovered that for all these years I've been pronouncing it "grim-oar" only to find it's "grim-wah". :(

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Excuse me as I go into recluse, just watched the video, thinking the praise for it is either exaggerated or sarcastic.

Nothing prepared me for what I've seen, amazing. I think Cleve should write a book in this setting, the Hyperborea world sounds very interesting. Love the way he mentions Stones of Arnhem - "you never heard of this game" :)

Stabwound

Arcane
Why make a pitch video aimed clearly at the Codex? Anyone that isn't familiar with the Cleve persona is going to miss the references and it will just come across even more awkward than it does to someone that does. Ah, whatever.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why make a pitch video aimed clearly at the Codex? Anyone that isn't familiar with the Cleve persona is going to miss the references and it will just come across even more awkward than it does to someone that does. Ah, whatever.

I showed it to a largely non-gaming friend who has no clue who Cleve is aside from a few lore bits I gave her and she loved it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"The village was on the back of a giant turtle. The turtle takes us south, across the sea."
You probably quoting something else, but that line was also in Golden Axe :)

Of course that's Golden Axe. What else would I be quoting?

I was a pre-schooler when I was introduced to computer games and Golden Axe was one of the first ones I played during a course on general computer use. Used to amuse people around me by playing two characters at the same time. Never got close to finishing it though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If by some miracle he does hit the target he's just going to take it and run -- good retirement money.

Stabwound

Arcane
If by some miracle he does hit the target he's just going to take it and run -- good retirement money.
Except he chose a flexible funding campaign, so he gets ever cent pledged even if it doesn't hit the target. Yeah, that sure instills confidence.

A LOT of Cleve lore check fails in this thread.

This could have been something special -- something the Codex would have wholeheartedly rallied around. Sadly, or rather "tragically", if it had been anyone else but Cleve, Grimoire would have been hailed as THE BEST old school indie RPG initiative to date and people would have been handing their money over to the creator hand over fist. Trolling or not, Cleve inevitably sabotaged himself. If his intentions are true, I wish him the best but Cleve's idiosyncracies and Clevianisms are too deeply entrenched in my mind to have any hope of Grimoire becoming anything other than eternal vaporware.

The best thing for Cleve to do to redeem himself in the eyes of his skeptics would be to forego the kickstarter, complete the game as best he can, and opt for the Notch or Vogel route.

TripJack

Hedonist
you propose that mighty cleve degrade himself to the level of a swedish manboon like notch?
:killit:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
"you look for secret buttons...in secret places...doing secret stuff" :lol: How can you not love the guy?

I just paused the video to see if anyone else had commented on this. Probably the most awesome line in a pitch video ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom