Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You can have a cRPG set in any videogame universe of your choice

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The Expanse.

So that each player would roleplay his version of Josephus Alois(i)us Miller.

Caveman in prehistoric time, with DINOSAUR

Iain-Dowie.jpg

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I'd really like a hard sci-fi RPG, maybe based on the Eclipse Phase tabletop rpg or the Revelation Space series of books. Some other tabletop RPG settings that could be cool are Rifts (fuck balance!), Deadlands and Seventh Sea. There's a third-party Pathfinder setting called Cerulean Seas that could be cool, it's set entirely underwater so there would be a bunch of creatures you don't see regularly and it could do interesting things with three-dimensional combat.

Also gonna second or third or whatever the Book of the New Sun. The Dying Earth is another far-future setting that could work. I'd also like to see some pre-LotR fantasy like the aforementioned Conan, H.P. Lovecraft's Dreamlands or the setttings of Clark Ashton Smith.

Xorphitus

Scholar
I'd really like a hard sci-fi RPG, maybe based on the Eclipse Phase tabletop rpg or the Revelation Space series of books. Some other tabletop RPG settings that could be cool are Rifts (fuck balance!), Deadlands and Seventh Sea. There's a third-party Pathfinder setting called Cerulean Seas that could be cool, it's set entirely underwater so there would be a bunch of creatures you don't see regularly and it could do interesting things with three-dimensional combat.

Also gonna second or third or whatever the Book of the New Sun. The Dying Earth is another far-future setting that could work. I'd also like to see some pre-LotR fantasy like the aforementioned Conan, H.P. Lovecraft's Dreamlands or the setttings of Clark Ashton Smith.

It sucks that so far only one Rifts videogame has been made. If they ever made a Rifts cRPG I would like to see it focus on NGR or Phase World.

powell

Literate
A lot of people already said Star Trek, so I'll say Stargate. You could travel worlds with your party, meeting less advanced human societies, slaying Goa'uld, and releasing your burdens until your ascension. Stargate has two tabletop RPGs, but I haven't played either of them.

Already existing cRPG universes are out of the question.

My cheeky answers are Diablo and Dark Souls. Both of those universes could use an RPG set in them.

Infinitum

Scholar
Warhammer 40k. Random hiveworld. VtM:BL style first person. Start out as a minor Deamon possessing a rogue psyker in the underhive. Complete quests given unto you by the warp powers that be. Eat the souls of your enemies. Grow ever more powerful even as you struggle to maintain your mortal frame. Lie, scheme and murder your way to the top of society. Set up a cult to your own image. Become the baddest motherfucker on the planet, then marvel as his emperors inquisition begs to differ.

Shit practically writes itself.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The Black Company world, for me. Always liked the sense of history and 'bad shit keeps going down' that Cook managed to impart.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Something placed in Moorcock's Multiverse would be great!

Oh and planescape too.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
A toilet bowl full of piss, shit and germs, where you get to play the chosen germ.

Technically this is what we mostly play already.

I'd pick historical settings, never felt more fascinated with a setting than I did with Darklands. Arcanum came close, but in part it was because of the likeness to historic eras. I'm not sure if it can be reused in other games.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Someone had a great idea about creating a new Matrix crpg that's set to simulate America in 1880. The idea is actually picking up steam and has quite a following among intellectuals.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Videogame Universes: A Mind forever Voyaging, Endless Legend, Mdk, and Descent

Novel Universes:The Eternal Champion by Michael MoorCOCK (Elric would also be good but people might accuse it of being too much like Twitcher), Imajica universe by Clive Barker
Pnp universes: Mage: The Awakening or Changeling, Deadlands,
Rifts would be hilarious

Aenra

- Choice n1:
Dan Simmons' Hyperion
:incline:

As long as:
a) it's not written by librul cunts
b) it's not written by youngsters (no offense to most of you, but you just don't get it like we do)

edit: as to 'why'? Multiple reasons. The theme, the atmosphere, the mood, it's like William Gibson matured. Bleak, raw, but in a subtle kind of way where it matters, he never tells you life isn't worth shit anymore/ tech supplanted the drive to imagine. Touches all the relevant topics, but doesn't serve you conclusions as is the trend nowadays. And it could fit in a good RPG like a glove. Few "battles", but important ones aka no "trash", plenty of C&C, branching, time tropes..

If you don't know what i'm talking about, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_(Simmons_novel)
(buy it, thank me later)

- Choice n2:
The Black Company world

Want... again though, lol, as long as it's not written by librul/sensitive cunts, as long as it's not written by children.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
A RPG at the time of the Thirty Years' War, with Magic as a ressource, based on the ideas about magic at the time. The Protestants and the catholic church would be their own factions, with the church more streamlined and the magic of Saints on their side and the Protestants compensate their lack of structure through sheer fanatism. Relics are very valuable and can change the course of the battle.

There are Dwarves and Elfes, but more the kind we get in old fairytales and myths, so they are more mysterious and dangerous than Legolas and Gimli. The Wild Hunt appears sometimes and fucks everything up, from cities to whole armies. They could be a possible antagonist, like in the Witcher 3 (the concept is as old, as europe). Witches are real and you can decide to ally with them, but it costs you reputation with Protestants and Catholics.

You would play a group of mercenaries trying to get rich or become nobles. Maybe you stop the world/the Empire from getting destroyed, when you fight the Wild Hunt.

Last edited:
Something placed in Moorcock's Multiverse would be great!

I agree. But I prefer some of the Eternal Champion trilogy worlds over more popular Melniboné.

For example Phoenix in Obsidian (1970) world, is an older and far more complex and credible version of "Dark Sun", dying Earth, D&D setting.

On the other hand every of the historic settings proposed could work.

But anyway, either fantasy, sci-fi or historical setting, the true innovative part will be always the gameplay focus/game mechanics.

Some ideas for a different types of Crpgs:

-Ideology struggles of the age of ideological incline (1830-1930): Old TRUE liberals* against neo-absolutism, the Spring of Nations, the rise of nationalism, the transformations on conservativism, the beginings of the true racism, the anarchists, the old pre-russian revolution marxists, the imperialism, the american isolationism/pan-american (by USA) imperialism, the great changes era in Japan, the true colonialism, the apex of Imperialism, the roots of fascism and nazism... With gameplay centered on that ideological struggles, on social prevalence, on economic or political fights. The combat anyway, could and probably MUST exist, but not "typical Crpg-warrior combat".

-Wartime "not combat based" Crpg. WWI or II, 30 years war or whatever, guns, magic or sword war, but with civilians as protagonists. A more complex and "rpgish" War of Mine, centered not only in survival but in the rest of changed activities during wartime.

-A Crpg centered in Old World commerce (phoenicians, trans-asian caravans, roman ship merchant, republiche marinare -Venice, Genoa, etc- during their Golden Age, or fucking dutch sea-gypsies/pirates Golden Age -and later english but more meh- , etc...). Something following the Caravan (a 2016 german casual game but interesting in some aspects) innovative ideas but with far more complexity and Crpg features.

-A combat focused Crpg in a "resist the invasion" context. The exact moment of the nazi or russian/austrian/prussian invasion of Poland, or the chinese/persian/russian setting during the exact moment of the begin of Mongol Invasions or some sort of opposite of Expedition: Consquistador role-playing in the maya, aztec, incaic side. The mechanics can change radically with this focus on "being in the invaded" side.

*: WTF :kwafuckyeah: friends? "Liberals" as post-modern leftist? really??

Set in Louisiana in 1865 during the final days of the confederacies defeat during the American Civil War. You would play as a confederate deserter. Essentially, you would be on the run from both confederacy, along with the union army as it laid waste to many southern institutions. The game would be fairly dark and focus on concepts such as defeat and collapse of organizations.

Combat would be split between limited range weapons (one or two shot guns), and then forced melee or other tactics. Game would have light elements of voodoo, bullet crafting, and black magic.

Dorateen

Arcane
Samurai Jack, the future setting when Aku has taken over. With a Wizardry-style class system and gameplay.

That's how you do an RPG "where Evil won".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom