Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You can have a cRPG set in any videogame universe of your choice

nikolokolus

Arcane
I think Larian could possibly be the one to do a Discworld crpg justice. The lack of seriousness atmosphere Larian has in their games would fit.
Yeah maybe, but Terry Pratchett actually had wit.
This is true. The character writing would never compare, but the setting and atmosphere might.
I just wish he was still writing more books. Even Snuff was great and he wrote that by dictation.
The only person I'd trust with Discworld is Neil Gaiman. With our luck, Larian would hire his halfwit daughter and let her run roughshod over it.

V_K

Arcane
Age of Mythology,
A game with combines the greek, egyptian and Nordic Mythologies.

Games set in the Endless Space universe
I really like the factions and their stories

Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri
Just imagine a CRPG where the planet is your enemy.
I only played the demo, but I think Titan's Quest already did this.

Nordic Mythology was added in a DLC one or two years ago. And there's also some Asian mythology (Babylon, central Asia and China). But the various mythologies aren't that present, you meet two greek gods (Persephone & Hades, I think) and a titan, no Egyptians gods and six Nordic gods.
There's also Loki: Heroes of Mythology with Egyptian, Greek, Norse and Aztec. Not a terribly good game though from what I've heard.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I know there was one game, but I would like to see a game about Jason and the Argonauts or the idea of them. It has it all: a clear goal (get the Macguffin) a lot of possibilities for cool encounters and your crew are already your companions, so you don't need to pull something out of your ass. It doesn't even need to be ancient greek. Could be Sci-Fi, could be postapocalyptic, but the structure is already there. Mix it with the Atmosphere of Heart of Darkness (without the racism) and this could be something good.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Oh, I remember thinking it would be cool to play a bronze age game like Harry Easter described, but not centered around a particular legend and trying to hit a time in history where it makes sense to visit places like Egypt. Players would start out by walking around and a sailboat would be their FO2 car/FF airship (as the world would be centered around the Mediterranean).

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Wizard Knight by Gene Wolfe. On the surface it looks like a fairly typical fantasy setting, but it's really not. Those books are fucking crazy. And Sir Able of the High Heart is just great too

pEa85lU.jpg
0Lzz6AM.jpg

Darkforge

Augur
I am with the OP on the Legacy of Kain Rpg.
Personally I am sick of the forgotten realms I would just like a good turn based RPG set in Dragonlance (legends era) or Ravenloft settings.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
There's such a vast numer of settings from literary works, historical periods and even films that would be intriguing to explore in any capacity that it boggles the mind. Many monocled suggstions have been made in this thread. But while I would be interested in seeing an adaption of the works of, for example, Gene Wolfe, I don't think it necessarily makes for a good or great RPG. Especially when it comes to literature, in which case the RPG would by necessity be bad fanfiction written in a medium not fit to match the source material. That goes doubly for authors who not only have ideas but dedication to making the most of their medium. But even the settings of bad writers with good ideas they do not have the parts that would constitute a quality RPG.

Historical periods are easier to work with, but when it comes to adaptions the best results have in the past come from pen and paper RPGs and their settings. So my choice of what I would like to see used as a setting would be Fading Suns. It is obviously inspired by some brilliant authors but it also contains everything that is required to create a great RPG due to being one. Obvious things like having a varied gallery of enemies that you could throw at the player, competing and conflicting factions, different paths to take during character creation and so on are all there from the getgo. Unlike if you use a setting from a book it is literally constructed to be a place where you can easily set your own stories, so while a developer would have to respect the lore and whatnot they can still have creative freedom to write about whatever they want and tell the stories they want within that setting.

It would be much better than to say use Dune as a setting, because while I do like Dune I don't think you could make anything that wouldn't either be an inferior repeitition of the source material or something which wastes the setting. With Fading Suns you do get some qualities from Dune which are desirable but also setting ripe for new stories to be told.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah Dune would be a change of pace. Of course there could be the Bible rpg but with bad ass elements. The roman vs celts was done in nethergate. So many eras for a bible game with factions. Who says you need to follow the judaist or christian path. Maybe you're Canaanite or Hittite tired of being stomped in the ground. Lotof mythology in the region if you mix it up from Ages past. That could easily encompass a ton of games. Just keep it a little away from world building; not like we need another Civilization variant (i'd play civ then if i wanted that).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Blade Runner is my favorite movie, and cyberpunk my favorite genre, so I'll go with that. I picture it as starting on Earth in a very Blade Runner looking city, but then expanding into the "off world colonies" after a handful of hours. Maybe 3-4 planets to visit with large open areas on each one, roughly equating to Arcanum's size overall. Enemies on Earth would be replicants and gang members but it could expand into other native world dangers on other planets. Combat and mission structure similar to Fallout. Gives me a boner just thinking about it.

I also think taking Mass Effect's world and putting it into an actual RPG would be interesting.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And 80s cartoon. Don't even mind too much which one. So long as it had straight adults in it, was politically incorrect, represented core principles of right and wrong, was totally over the top, and stuck to the tone of the original cartoon.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
There's a lot more to salvage from "literature" but here's some inspiration from comic books :

Thorgal

Pitch :

Nordic mythology, mostly with a pinch of technology from long dead (except for two of them) humanoid aliens with god-like powers and a bit of central america's mythology (mostly Incas i think).
It starts with an exiled viking trying to survive with his family.
The universe would be very cRPG friendly with a vast bestiary starting with regular vikings raiders and going all the way to the mythic snake/dragon Nidhogg and harpies, ettins, centaurs on the way.

Thorgal-4-Archers.jpg

latest

Thorgal+Foto+20.jpg

Lament of the forgotten lands

(poor title's translation attempt, as far as i know, it was only published in German, Dutch, Polish and French)

Pitch :

What happens after King Arthur dies (alternate names and it's a vastly different story from there) with only a daughter as a heir.
A mysterious dark uncle saves the day rallying the nobles but it turns out he practices dark arts and has a hidden agenda, the settings is dark fantasy with some really cool additions like a monk order focused on damage immunities (immune to regular weapons) said to be invincible (they're the good guys and they're not that invincible, turns out ... ).

1859752-landes2.jpg

As for books, many were already mentioned and i could add a lot more but the coolest one would probably be a Discworld settings in a turn based isometric/top down TB cRPG but there's probably 0 chances of that happening.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun would make for an intriguing backdrop.
Also gonna second or third or whatever the Book of the New Sun. The Dying Earth is another far-future setting that could work.
The Wizard Knight by Gene Wolfe. On the surface it looks like a fairly typical fantasy setting, but it's really not. Those books are fucking crazy.
Gene Wolf is Brilliant.

Another vote for The Book of the New Sun.
For those who don't know: set in the far future of earth when Sol is dying, and technology has become so advanced that it resembles magic.

proxyduckduckgo2.jpg

proxyduckduckgo1.jpg

proxyduckduckgo3.jpg

Master

Arbiter
Those are great books but i dont see how any of that would make for an rpg. The Long Sun otoh would be a better fit.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
It would need to be an original story using the setting. Maybe you aren't a messianic figure, but have some other role to play.

kris

Arcane
Either the X-men tacitcal RPG that i wanted (spanning many of their stories) or one in the world i created.

As for history there are many choices, but I would like one set more like in the 17-19th century. there is plenty of opportunity there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom