Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet another Piracy: Good or Bad? discussion

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
because buying it at less than half the price they would have bought it earlier is so charitable. :roll:
They wouldn't have bought it at all if it wasn't half price, retard.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Better than not buying it at all.
Maybe. But if they didn't have that option, would they really have not bought, or would they have bought it earlier? I really doubt that they would have that kind of impulse control.

If it was worth it to you and you really were just demoing it, you would buy immediately. You don't "demo" a game and buy it years later.

This isn't a case of them wanting to support the devs, this is the case of them seeing it on sale and making an impulse purchase to add it to their collection or replay it again.

Niggers, if you're going to steal [read: not remove from an inventory], at least be honest about it.

PorkBarrellGuy

Maybe. But if they didn't have that option, would they really have not bought, or would they have bought it earlier? I really doubt that they would have that kind of impulse control.

If it was worth it to you and you really were just demoing it, you would buy immediately. You don't "demo" a game and buy it years later.

This isn't a case of them wanting to support the devs, this is the case of them seeing it on sale and making an impulse purchase to add it to their collection or replay it again.

Niggers, if you're going to steal [read: not remove from an inventory], at least be honest about it.

Basicallly. I think the last thing I pirated (technically a then-friend insisted on pirating it for me, but piracy-by-proxy is still piracy) was Bioshit Infinite. Then-friend thought it was amazing and deep and was trying to get me on board with that shit. (I'm fucking glad I didn't waste money on that steaming pile, in retrospect.)

Very, very few games are at the confluence of "interesting enough somehow to bother playing" and "not worth dropping money on". Time is more valuable than money, and I view wastes of time as more heinous than wastes of currency.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

addtext_com_MTgyOTM1MjcyOA.jpg

Mark Richard

Arcane
Back in the late 80s and early 90s everybody pirated games due to the cost, but apparently a lot of pirates can't leave it at that anymore. No, now there's all these tacked on extra reasons, the most insane of which is 'this game is buggy/crap!' Why in the blue hell would you want to play it then? Are you so flaccid, so weak-willed as to partake in an awful experience just because it's free? If I give you free samples of sausage rolls stuffed with dog shit, would you stuff down a handful and put the rest in a bag for later? When did the thought of skipping a game or waiting for a patch become utterly unfathomable?

Codex Year of the Donut
Back in the late 80s and early 90s everybody pirated games due to the cost, but apparently a lot of pirates can't leave it at that anymore. No, now there's all these tacked on extra reasons, the most insane of which is 'this game is buggy/crap!' Why in the blue hell would you want to play it then? Are you so flaccid, so weak-willed as to partake in an awful experience just because it's free? If I give you free samples of sausage rolls stuffed with dog shit, would you stuff down a handful and put the rest in a bag for later? When did the thought of skipping a game or waiting for a patch become utterly unfathomable?
for the same reason someone waits until a product is on sale to buy it?
A consumer might not think a defective product is worth $60, but they may be more open to it at $20. When the only options given are $60 or create a magical copy of it, well…

PorkBarrellGuy

I strongly suspect it has a little something to do with conspicuous consumption (in the sense of being able to say "Oh yeah, I played that, got it on my HDD")

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
But if they didn't have that option, would they really have not bought, or would they have bought it earlier? I really doubt that they would have that kind of impulse control.
If that was the case, thousands of people wouldn't be pirating Denuvo games the second they get cracked.

"Worth it" is subjective. A lot of pirates live in poorer countries when they can't afford buying a 60$ game or are students who don't have jobs or a lot of money. Someone may see 15$ for a 3 year old game as "worth it" but not 60$ for a brand new one.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not to be holiest than thou I admit I've broken my "not buying? don't play" rule too. I don't think it was more than once in the last, what, 10 years maybe but it happened.

It was...Dragon Age Infinite. Yes.

And I've even finished it. Oh yes.

Now that I've confessed my soul feels light and clean again. Feels so good.

PorkBarrellGuy

But if they didn't have that option, would they really have not bought, or would they have bought it earlier? I really doubt that they would have that kind of impulse control.
If that was the case, thousands of people wouldn't be pirating Denuvo games the second they get cracked.

The advent of intrusive DRM does add another facet to the piracy issue, yes. Perversely, Denuvo and other DRM schemes DRIVE piracy even amongst people who actually paid for the product. Something about "the harder you clench your fist, the more grains of sand slip through your fingers".

DeepOcean

Arcane
Basicallly. I think the last thing I pirated (technically a then-friend insisted on pirating it for me, but piracy-by-proxy is still piracy) was Bioshit Infinite. Then-friend thought it was amazing and deep and was trying to get me on board with that shit. (I'm fucking glad I didn't waste money on that steaming pile, in retrospect.)
I think alot of people defend pirating trying to not feel guilty of sabotaging the developers of the games they enjoyed but this is a fair point, it is very hard to get reliable information on the internet, big site reviewers are fucking scum, on the codex, things tend to become way too passionate with haters and fanboys fighting over their egos instead over the objective reality of the game so, you many times must go with your own opinion but just blindly buying a potentially bad game only reward bad game developers and waste your time and money, so you have to demo it.

Some games like Dragon Age Inquisition and Biocock Infinite are so bad that their shitness is pretty much self evident. On this game however, the evidence I had before buying was pretty positive.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

What are you even talking about here? How does that refute my statement on impulse control?

Cracking a game you own doesn't deprive a dev of their money btw.
"Worth it" is subjective. A lot of pirates live in poorer countries when they can't afford buying a 60$ game or are students who don't have jobs or a lot of money. Someone may see 15$ for a 3 year old game as "worth it" but not 60$ for a brand new one.
Many poorer countries have different pricing tiers on Steam. In Russia, KCD is under $25.

In the few countries that don't have such lower pricing, why not just wait? No one is forcing you to play it now.

And isn't it funny how you can afford the hardware to play the latest games, but "can't afford" the games themselves.
thinking.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They wouldn't have bought it at all if it wasn't half price, retard.
Believe it or not, I bought Witcher 3 at full price, possibly the same month it was released. I did that after seeing that I like the game, and I already had about 60 hours of playing it, by rough estimation. So I thought "If I buy it now, it has already paid for itself".

for the same reason someone waits until a product is on sale to buy it?
A consumer might not think a defective product is worth $60, but they may be more open to it at $20. When the only options given are $60 or create a magical copy of it, well…
Inb4 "waiting for a discount and playing pirated in the meantime is theft!" :lol:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
What are you even talking about here? How does that refute my statement on impulse control?
If pirates didn't have impulse control then Denuvo would be successful and no one would pirate the game months after they have been launched but just cracked, but that's not the case, thousands of people still pirate Denuvo games.

Many poorer countries have different pricing tiers on Steam. In Russia, KCD is under $25.

In the few countries that don't have such lower pricing, why not just wait? No one is forcing you to play it now.
Because they want to play it now and not wait for a uncertain amount of time?

And isn't it funny how you can afford the hardware to play the latest games, but "can't afford" the games themselves.
thinking.png
Because a computer is a much more long term investment that you will probably use for thousands of hours, while a computer game can last only 15 hours, and games have settings so even people with slow and old computers can play games at lower settings.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I think alot of people defend pirating trying to not feel guilty of sabotaging the developers of the games they enjoyed but this is a fair point, it is very hard to get reliable information on the internet, big site reviewers are fucking scum, on the codex, things tend to become way too passionate with haters and fanboys fighting over their egos instead over the objective reality of the game so, you many times must go with your own opinion but just blindly buying a potentially bad game only reward bad game developers and waste your time and money, so you have to demo it.

Some games like Dragon Age Inquisition and Biocock Infinite are so bad that their shitness is pretty much self evident. On this game however, the evidence I had before buying was pretty positive.
Lets be honest here, demo is more like finishing the game or deleting it and forgetting about it. My principle for buying a game is very simple. Eater i buy a game on release that i am certain that i will like...like the glorious ELEX. Or i have some money and decide to give it for a game,then i buy a game that i remember fondly and it is not owned by some massive scumbag publisher. Preferably i try to give it to a existing dev that is still going on. Honestly don't care for sales unless they are some super old classic. I don't pretend to be some shiny knight of moral virtue,i do what i believe it is right,the rest of the world could burn for all i care. I do live by my principles and views,don't care much for opposite opinions. They are grown man with a head on their shoulders,they have their views and principles,the life goes on.

Putting it here to save a little work for the mods ;).

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Do you have a IQ in the double digits, you stupid fuck?
>game is 60$
>not worth that much
>pirate or wait until for sale for 20$ a year later
>game is 20$
>worth that much
>buy

I want to play it now, but I don't want to play it for 60$, this is the pirate mindset.
If the pirate wanted to play something but for whatever reason couldn't pirate it, they wouldn't buy it as a result, they'd just wait for a crack.

razvedchiki

Erudite
i pirate games to test them,if i like it i buy it.exceptions are games from small indie companies like AOD and underrail.

people still buy day games 1?for real? dont want to sound edgy and pseudoelitistic but bying games when they come out makes you effectively an unpaid beta tester (with some exceptions).

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Wow u ppl refuse to admit you pirate stuff because it's free. You know what else is free? Gloryholes. So since you're playing a pirate copy and waiting for the next patch/crack then you might as well put your butt in the hole and get some free AIDS while you're at it. Fucking pirates, by Gaben... :argh::argh::argh:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Wow u ppl refuse to admit you pirate stuff because it's free. You know what else is free? Gloryholes. So since you're playing a pirate copy and waiting for the next patch/crack then you might as well put your butt in the hole and get some free AIDS while you're at it. Fucking pirates, by Gaben... :argh::argh::argh:
The world is not simply black and white mate. There are more than one reason to pirate,to be honest there are many reasons. One of them is because of money. Why do you hate piracy??? Are you working for EA and you are afraid for you job because of dangerous pirates?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The only games I've pirated "because they are free" in recent years have been AAA crap, like Fallout 4, to spend 5-10 hours on and then delete. I simply don't have the time to play games I don't enjoy and respect, and for those games, I am compelled to pay, even if they are available for free.

razvedchiki

Erudite
you shouldnt pirate games that for various reasons dont like because you give the message that you liked the game and just didnt have the money to buy it.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
If you pirate games, you're a stupid piece of shit and a thieving asshole. I hope you get rounded into a gulag and maybe tear-gassed.
Whoa, look out for Mr. Badass over here. Imagine getting so mad over people copying data online that you want them to die.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom