Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet another Piracy: Good or Bad? discussion

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sometimes piracy can help a game, attracting people who weren't interested and can try it because it's free, and could end up buying it if they like it.

Sure. Do those added sales outweigh the losses from cunts who can afford a game but still torrent?

Don't bother replying bc nobody knows but one hint is kindda revealing - people pirate the shit out of mobile games costing 2 or 3 bucks. Think about it.

Elex

Arbiter
Sometimes piracy can help a game, attracting people who weren't interested and can try it because it's free, and could end up buying it if they like it.

Sure. Do those added sales outweigh the losses from cunts who can afford a game but still torrent?

Don't bother replying bc nobody knows but one hint is kindda revealing - people pirate the shit out of mobile games costing 2 or 3 bucks. Think about it.
this is why f2p work.

actually more people that download a game is always something positive.

what matter is the money coming no matter from who, few whales can pay the game for all the players.

kickstarter work similar

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
The average person where I live (Estonia) makes anywhere from 600-1000 euros a month and with how everything is so fucking expensive spending 50 eur on a video game is retarded.
Developers don't make demos anymore either, so I couldn't know if this game was any good or not or how well it would run on my machine unless I bought it, and I wouldn't ever buy it in it's current state because it's Bethesda-tier broken and never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game, adjusted for inflation that's 36 bucks.
Piracy is justifiable if you don't make enough money or the game isn't worth full price, and all these moralfags and industry shills who scream and shout as if me pirating a game is putting 6 million developers into concentration camps. Newsflash faggots, I wouldn't buy the game regardless if I couldn't pirate it and I'd wait for a steam sale instead.

Like I said, your actions regarding piracy are indicative of your general quality. Your 4chan shitspeak is a further indicator.

It doesn't bode well for potential life outcome. Hopefully you are still a kid and can turn it around as you mature.

PorkBarrellGuy

Decent demos would probably cut down on piracy fairly heavily, I think.

Aaand verdict's in, my old nag of a computer isn't going to be able to run KCD. Right, time to start setting money aside for a new build.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

Aaand verdict's in, my old nag of a computer isn't going to be able to run KCD. Right, time to start setting money aside for a new build.

I'm not so sure. Demos are just like movie trailers or fist episodes of TV series. They contain all the goodness, often to the point of not being representative for the whole product. I won't moralize because I used to pirate games (most of which I bought later on), but nowadays I just rely on reviews and common sense. It's worth mentioning, that steam return policy is intended to work like demos, and so, many games push most of their content into those first two hours...

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Tfw you're a third worlder who backed KCD a year ago and you see all the Euros whining about how the game is too rich for their pockets and they have no choice but to pirate it. :positive::positive::positive:

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

I'm not so sure. Demos are just like movie trailers or fist episodes of TV series. They contain all the goodness, often to the point of not being representative for the whole product. I won't moralize because I used to pirate games (most of which I bought later on), but nowadays I just rely on reviews and common sense. It's worth mentioning, that steam return policy is intended to work like demos, and so, many games push most of their content into those first two hours...
reviews are worthless

Codex Year of the Donut
He says, wondering if a game like this will ever be made again.

If I had bought this game right away I would be feeling pretty fucking stupid wtih all the stuttering in towns that makes it unplayable in current state. Because I make 500-600 euro a month buying a 50 euro game without even checking if it runs well would be downright fucking retarded. And at least know I know enough to wait and see if this game becomes playable on my current system before buying it first. So fuck off with your lectures faggot. I never act proud of pirating but I do "demo" most games before buying them because I actually need to demo them.

You're acting proud of pirating right now in this thread.

You should feel ashamed of it. When other people rightly criticise thieves, and you realise you are one yourself, you should hang your head in shame.

The 'demo' argument is not one I subscribe to, but whatever. You don't really believe that. If you did, you'd keep quiet and not openly brag about it.

4 thieves have been butthurt with me telling the truth.

Anyone else like to steal things other people have made? More ratings please!
piracy isn't theft, copyright violation without profit isn't even a crime in most countries.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The salt from the tools here is fairly amusing,i must say. I take it that they are angry that they give money for a buggy mess while people are having fun with a buggy mess without giving money....yet. It interesting how pirates just let people live and don't mock tools for shiling 60 bugs,while the upstanding hypocrites are loosing their shit just like some sjws.Any way,more power to you guys. Respect to Multidirectional and Doctor Sbaitso,my kind of pirates ;). For the tools here:
FflohQi.gif
giphy.gif

YX6ZTJ2.gif
tenor.gif

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Companies that produce incline need money to function and to keep producing incline.
If people steal the incline and the producers do not get their money then they will stop producing incline.
When incline stops being produced, only decline is allowed to promalgate.
Entitled Europoor Pirates are literally agents of decline.
Stalin should have finished the job.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Companies that produce incline need money to function and to keep producing incline.
If people steal the incline and the producers do not get their money then they will stop producing incline.
When incline stops being produced, only decline is allowed to promalgate.
Entitled Europoor Pirates are literally agents of decline.
Stalin should have finished the job.
I do agree with you,but also i have principles,i will wait for the GoG release. Most pirates do support games that they really like. But i won't shill 50 bucks for a game that i don't know if it will run on my ashtray.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I don't know about the buggy, shitty performance mess that the game currently is being incline. The game is essentially realistic Oblivion.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

True. There are those game that make you feel real empty inside as if you accomplished nothing. Then you wonder to yourself why you wasted your time playing a lame and boring game. Skyrim is a good example.
No, pretty sure you can tell Skyrim is crap way before the end...

2. You don't wanna buy, therefore you don't think it's worth supporting the developers, therefore it's dogshit, therefore you'd be retarded torrenting and playing dogshit when there are so many quality, worthwhile games you couldn't play them all if you lived a 1k years.

0hXcvoH.png
because buying it at less than half the price they would have bought it earlier is so charitable. :roll:

Not salt. Just annoyance. We Codexers are always complaining about a lack of incline. Then here's some slight incline and you're bragging about pirating it.

And again, it's not nearly as buggy as people are making it out to be. Aside from a graphic glitch here and there, the only actual bug I've seen is the bug(?) that made most of my stolen items suddenly not stolen on reload.

Codex Year of the Donut
2. You don't wanna buy, therefore you don't think it's worth supporting the developers, therefore it's dogshit, therefore you'd be retarded torrenting and playing dogshit when there are so many quality, worthwhile games you couldn't play them all if you lived a 1k years.

0hXcvoH.png
because buying it at less than half the price they would have bought it earlier is so charitable. :roll:
and a lot of people buying it at release paid half or less than I did due to geographic pricing, what's your point?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

0hXcvoH.png
:roll: Why do you assume that he bout it at half a price? Also half is better than none. There is a good reason that the witcher is going with no protection,most of their supporters are pirates and i am pretty sure that the devs were/are pirates. They are from Poland after all,20 years ago not many people would have been able to buy games. I would recommend you to stop playing games for a little while and get connected to the real world. We are still not leaving in a global utopia.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And again, it's not nearly as buggy as people are making it out to be.

For most people it's way more stable than the IGN 10/10 Skyrim on release. But I've watched a lot of streams and YT lately and there are instances where you fly up in the sky and die, where the game crashes, some quest trigger misfires etc. Problem is - and Warhorse said it themselves - these kind of bugs only start cropping up once hundreds of thousands of people start playing. Open-world RPG is the most complicated vidya genre, glitches will be always a thing.

Fuck everyone shitting on KCD for something that's pretty much a standard in this genre.

I don't know about the buggy, shitty performance mess that the game currently is being incline. The game is essentially realistic Oblivion.
sounds pretty incline to me
Let's not forget just how bad Oblivion was:
UOGdtyG.png

Ugly NPCs, a HORRIBLY written main quest, rewrote the lore on Cyrodiil and turned it into a generic fantasy setting, horribad voice acting, level scaling, radiant AI that was even more bugged than the buggiest youtube videos of KCD - honestly, was there anything redeeming???

Compared to Oblivion, KCD is a perfect game with no flaws.

A game doesn't have to be turn based iso to be incline. We've sunk so far into decline that even a popamole sandbox game can be incline if it's made right.

Codex Year of the Donut
And again, it's not nearly as buggy as people are making it out to be.

For most people it's way more stable than the IGN 10/10 Skyrim on release. But I've watched a lot of streams and YT lately and there are instances where you fly up in the sky and die, where the game crashes, some quest trigger misfires etc. Problem is - and Warhorse said it themselves - these kind of bugs only start cropping up once hundreds of thousands of people start playing. Open-world RPG is the most complicated vidya genre, glitches will be always a thing.

Fuck everyone shitting on KCD for something that's pretty much a standard in this genre.
Fallout 4 was ridiculously buggy at release but it got tonguebathed by reviewers.
The unofficial fallout 4 patch has 618 open bug issues right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom