Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Multiple mods that neuter cliffracer aggression exist.

All wildlife in Morrowind is annoying and aggressive: kwama foragers, rats, nix hounds, kagoutis, alits, slaughter fishes and dreugs. They all exist to make you suffer :)

I used to bypass blindness with a spell and wear the Boots of Blinding Speed that i got from niggress near Caldera. Also use waterwalking spell. Then you can travel around without giving a single fuck.
Blind spell is bugged in the original game.
It actually increases the accuracy of your attacks (and those of your enemies when you cast it on them).
It still affects your vision though, depending on the magnitude.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Cliff racer plumes are used to make levitation potions. Once you realize that you're generally happy to see them.

Fargus

Arcane

All wildlife in Morrowind is annoying and aggressive: kwama foragers, rats, nix hounds, kagoutis, alits, slaughter fishes and dreugs. They all exist to make you suffer :)

I used to bypass blindness with a spell and wear the Boots of Blinding Speed that i got from niggress near Caldera. Also use waterwalking spell. Then you can travel around without giving a single fuck.
Blind spell is bugged in the original game.
It actually increases the accuracy of your attacks (and those of your enemies when you cast it on them).
It still affects your vision though, depending on the magnitude.

Last time i played original game without any patches was 2004.

Cliff racer plumes are used to make levitation potions. Once you realize that you're generally happy to see them.

Alchemy is boring :smug:

I can just buy some levitation spells\potions instead of spending extra time walking around collecting feathers, guar shit or mushrooms.

Ryzer

Arcane
Every time I retry to play Morrowind, I instantly get this horrible feeling of boredom; it completely neutralizes any will to do anything in the game. That feeling that nothing you do in the game matters is horrible as well

Fargus

Arcane
Every time I retry to play Morrowind, I instantly get this horrible feeling of boredom; it completely neutralizes any will to do anything in the game. That feeling that nothing you do in the game matters is horrible as well

mothern'wahing fetcher

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
w3ce8lzs4ff61.jpg

ds

Cipher
Patron
I can just buy some levitation spells\potions instead of spending extra time walking around collecting feathers, guar shit or mushrooms.
You can buy the ingredients as well if you want, and then make potions orders of magnitudes more potent than anything you can buy.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I have some stuff to recommend, small mods with organic gameplay impact...

DarkNuts First Person Enhanced + depth of field shader
I found this to really work well for immersion, get a bokeh DoF shader for MGE XE and combine it with Darknut's First Person Enhanced (https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44080). This is going to do wonders for the atmosphere. When you are out in a storm or in the sun your character will hold his hands up to cover his face, or stuff like that, with depth of field its gonna feel fantastic.

Locked Bandit Caves and Tombs (http://mw.modhistory.com/download-49-11439) - such a small underrated mod, but tremendous impact. Most tombs and bandit caves are now locked

BCOM - everyone should form their setup around this mod

Patrols (https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49899) + Guar Riders (https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/52788) + Travelling merchants
To make the overworld more dynamic

I STRONGLY suggest leaving the default cell visiblity in MGE XE (due to use of fog)

Corpus natives (https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45674?tab=posts) js cool and makes sense

Fargus

Arcane
BCOM is great mod series but also a bitch because of compatiblity issues. Had to ditch it for openmwVR as it also hurts framerate in some areas.

For normal game it's definitely a must, just make sure to pay attention to compatiblity patches. There will be lots of them depending on your mod list.

Fargus

Arcane
BCOM is great mod series but also a bitch because of compatiblity issues.

with what?
This mod alters a lot of locations and adds atmospheric clutter. So mods that add new npcs will likely need compatiblity patches for the location affected by bcom. Any mod that edits location too obviously.

Animated morrowind needs patch for both bcom and openmw which is annoying. Dura Grabol House Reclaimed. Imperials Go Home. Balmora Docks District. Sermons and Preachers. Just few i recall. Sometimes there is a patch sometimes there isn't.

Had to ditch it for openmwVR as it also hurts framerate in some areas.

BCOM hurts performance only on cans. Which areas?

I had framerate drop in Balmora with waterworks addon. In VR headset it makes picture jittery, usual sign when performance suffers.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
That's the point? It's an RPG. No idea why a massive chunk of players want to neuter this element.

I have no idea what the big deal is about with cliff racers either. They're dangerous until you're...level 10? After that basically flying rats, sadly.

Of course it's an RPG trope that all the wildlife always single-mindedly, suicidally attacks the PC, and only the PC. MW, like many games of the time, doesn't really have a dynamic wildlife. Which is a shame, because it could have been done with the aggression settings, and of course there are docile animals like guar and kwama foragers. With the aggression setting, they could have made it so that some critters attack only when you get too close, as opposed to on sight. In any case, I can see why people want to mod that shit out after they've "got gud" at the game. Not because they're dangerous, but because it's annoying and monotonous.

The in-game, role-playing solution is to just use skills like Marksman or Destruction to deal with these encounters more efficiently, or spell effects like Invisibility to avoid them. The game offers alternatives to "Run to the critter/wait for it and bop it over the head with the most powerful claymore in the universe", but most players just like to mash the left mouse button and then get annoyed by the combat.

Hagashager

Educated
In my earliest playthrough of MW I originally hated Cliffracers until I discovered they boost Marksman really well. After that I started being okay with them.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Once openmw hooks you it's really hard to go back to the vanilla engine.

I was an advocate for MGE XE but the thing is,

- On OpenMW you get with 3 mods what you can never get on MGE XE, visually
- the game just feels smooth and the framerate perfect, dunno how to describe
- it supports normal maps natively and PBR natively

Good thing I am going to choose a dark elf and nightblade for my first character.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Once openmw hooks you it's really hard to go back to the vanilla engine.

I was an advocate for MGE XE but the thing is,

- On OpenMW you get with 3 mods what you can never get on MGE XE, visually
- the game just feels smooth and the framerate perfect, dunno how to describe
- it supports normal maps natively and PBR natively
I also believe MGE XE is unsupported these days. A lot of modern morrowind mods have shifted to the OpenMW engine due to the sheer potential and power it provides for modders. Not trying to fanboy over this too hard but I cannot express how much of a difference it makes for consistency of the game's performance. The vanilla engine starts to really break down when you go hard on the mods (graphical) whereas the open engine was really built for that purpose.

I am optimistic that in a few more years there could be a true renaissance for TES3 as more and more options become available for transforming the more aged elements.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I also believe MGE XE is unsupported these days. A lot of modern morrowind mods have shifted to the OpenMW engine

Definitely not. OpenMW mods to vanilla are like 1:10. The best modders prefer vanilla and that's where the old part of the community is. But OpenMW is getting better and better. They are two different communities.

None

Scholar
Hmmm...maybe it's a different framework I'm thinking of then.
You're probably thinking of Morrowind Graphics & Sound Overhaul (MGSO).

MGE XE is still actively updated and as a requirement for MWSE-Lua it can be considered to be the same project. One person does most of the work for it, so how much development happens depends on his fancy.

I am optimistic that in a few more years there could be a true renaissance for TES3 as more and more options become available for transforming the more aged elements.
Anything in particular?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom