Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
They made expansions harder because original game was too easy.

Entry level for expansions is like 15+

Get mort's mod and you can play them from level 1
The better solution is to get a mod that delays assassins and solstheim rumors from showing up in Seyda Neen.

janior

Arcane
Patron
They made expansions harder because original game was too easy.

Entry level for expansions is like 15+

Get mort's mod and you can play them from level 1
The better solution is to get a mod that delays assassins and solstheim rumors from showing up in Seyda Neen.
I do use that mod, you can get a rumor around level ~5. I think it's intented to play AFTER Tribiunal and there's no way im doing that crap again.
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47588

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
Mod that delays Tribunal's retarded brotherhood attacks is a must have. Not only they are nuisance and you can sell their armor for good buck, but it doesn't even make sense for them to attack you shortly after your arrival to Vvardenfell when nobody knows you're Nerevarine.

Solstheim rumor removal is not needed, i mean if you don't want to go there then don't. Unless it's just annoys you idk.

Fargus

Arcane
Solstheim rumor removal is not needed
it is, or it fucks up the rumour system
alternatively, you could just activate the dlcs when you're ready to play them

Never realized it was fucking up the rumor system, cuz i never had problems with it. Hmm. But i always had some sort of fan unofficial patch installed, lately i've been using the patch for purists.

I think activating dlcs and generally changing load order midgame is not a good idea, i try to avoid doing this.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Solstheim rumor removal is not needed
it is, or it fucks up the rumour system
alternatively, you could just activate the dlcs when you're ready to play them

Never realized it was fucking up the rumor system, cuz i never had problems with it. Hmm. But i always had some sort of fan unofficial patch installed, lately i've been using the patch for purists.

I think activating dlcs and generally changing load order midgame is not a good idea, i try to avoid doing this.
The solstheim rumor has maximum priority, so it overrides a lot of other rumors. Most notably, seyda neen has a tutorialish quest to find a dead tax collector (which can be a big money boost for new character/player), but you'll never know it exists if the solstheim rumor is enabled.

Not only they are nuisance and you can sell their armor for good buck
Their armor is kinda crazy. It's the second best light armor set in the game, but it's also better than every heavy armor set except ebony/daedric, and every medium armor except dreugh/indoril. Kinda breaks the armor balance/progression (not that it is very good to begin with) when you get that for free 30 mins into the game.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
49627-1619904619-1501603176.jpeg

Funny how this game looked like. Cliff racers in Vivec

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
What's wrong with my choices? Two are essentially patches - one for the engine the other for the game. Tam-rebuilt is just adds cannon territories that should have been in the main game.

What's wrong with my choices? Two are essentially patches - one for the engine the other for the game. Tam-rebuilt is just adds cannon territories that should have been in the main game.

Most of the interesting gameplay mods aren't compatible with OpenMW. I wish you people would stop calling it the "definitive" or "correct" way to play the game.

I made three Morrowind mini-gameplay mods to add to my list of 90 or something installed gameplay mods...the game STILL ends up breaking and sucking eventually. Next playthrough will be the one where the balance will hold out thanks to my latest invention! But there is no saving the eventual repetition of content that sets in around lvl 30.

Still, I'll always have love for this game no matter how unfinished and unrefined. Maybe one day I will actually do a full playthrough to completion, but for now it is unworthy.

I also had a brief run-in with the modding community. Yet another gaming community seemingly infested with the woke mind virus; leftist extremism. Gross.
Morrowind was made to be broken.
Go out there and have some fun.
Increase your speed to 10000.
Make a custom Jump spell and jump from one point of Vvardenfell to the other without running into those pesky Cliff Racers.
It is entirely up to you to decide where you draw the line.
This is why Morrowind is so much fun and wild.

There is for sure fun in breaking the game, but it is short-lived and hasn't got shit on what could be achieved with real gameplay. If you can't see that, you're just another dim gamer.

I agree with the general sentiment; I'd rather have the game push back against me instead of being an amusement park. But I disagree with the idea that one needs to break the game to have fun. I see Morrowind's openness as an opportunity to try out different playstyles for my characters. I like the fact that you can jump hundreds of feet in the air with a spell and do other ludicrous things, but ideally you should be able to do those things without breaking the game. I think mods go a long way in restoring balance and certain essential design principles.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron

Most of the interesting gameplay mods aren't compatible with OpenMW. I wish you people would stop calling it the "definitive" or "correct" way to play the game.

Such as? OpenMW has come a long way since it released. Also it's my opinion - I'm not stating this as a truism for every single person who enjoys it. If you want to play on the original engine that's totally ok.

Such as? OpenMW has come a long way since it released. Also it's my opinion - I'm not stating this as a truism for every single person who enjoys it. If you want to play on the original engine that's totally ok.

Anything that requires MWSE. That's most of the mods I had installed last time I played.

Fargus

Arcane

Something like Ashfall or projectiles that get stuck in enemies, or blood on enemies, or weapons hitting the surfaces with appropriate sounds and visual effects etc. The cool lua mods. Not only that but when i used to test my openmw set up i had some nasty bug when some modded npcs just flat out vanish. I think its related to changing load order. Never had this with normal MW.

The only use i see for openMW is VR\Multiplayer. Otherwise it's inferior to MWSE\MGE setup.

The purist patch you mentioned is great btw. But TR bloats the game too much and i wouldn't recommend it for normal gameplay as Morrowind + expansions and many good quest mods are already more than enough. TR is cool to explore but it's forever in development.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron

Something like Ashfall or projectiles that get stuck in enemies, or blood on enemies, or weapons hitting the surfaces with appropriate sounds and visual effects etc. The cool lua mods. Not only that but when i used to test my openmw set up i had some nasty bug when some modded npcs just flat out vanish. I think its related to changing load order. Never had this with normal MW.

The only use i see for openMW is VR\Multiplayer. Otherwise it's inferior to MWSE\MGE setup.

The purist patch you mentioned is great btw. But TR bloats the game too much and i wouldn't recommend it for normal gameplay as Morrowind + expansions and many good quest mods are already more than enough. TR is cool to explore but it's forever in development.
TR is slow but I think it's because they prefer to do big content pushes rather than faster incremental releases. The upcoming release especially has me impressed. This is a ton of very interesting areas to explore:
  • Narsis, the capital of House Hlaalu and second-biggest city in Morrowind,
  • the arid canyons of Shipal-Shin, a dangerous wilderness bordering Cyrodiil and Black Marsh,
  • the remainder of the pleasant Coronati Basin, including the ancient Redoran fortress of Ald Iuval, barely holding off against the Hlaalu boomtowns of Hlerynhul and Othmura,
  • scores of new dungeons, including among others skyrender hives, dreugh citadels, sandstone caves, an Ayleid tower, a Remanite fortress, and more,
  • dozens of faction questlines and even more miscellaneous quests,
  • substantial updates and additions to older content like Old Ebonheart.
    pr_2024-02_01_map.png

Fargus

Arcane
Multiple mods that neuter cliffracer aggression exist.

All wildlife in Morrowind is annoying and aggressive: kwama foragers, rats, nix hounds, kagoutis, alits, slaughter fishes and dreugs. They all exist to make you suffer :)

I used to bypass blindness with a spell and wear the Boots of Blinding Speed that i got from niggress near Caldera. Also use waterwalking spell. Then you can travel around without giving a single fuck.

Ash

Arcane
All wildlife in Morrowind is annoying and aggressive: kwama foragers, rats, nix hounds, kagoutis, alits, slaughter fishes and dreugs. They all exist to make you suffer :)
That's the point? It's an RPG. No idea why a massive chunk of players want to neuter this element.

I have no idea what the big deal is about with cliff racers either. They're dangerous until you're...level 10? After that basically flying rats, sadly.

Rate my mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/54051

Note it can be used with or without Rebirth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom