Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Well, when I think "pure mage" I don't think of someone that uses magic to make their huge mace hit even harder.
That's why one can fortify willpower and intelligence to start a rain of apocalyptic shit on everyone. That's how a true Telvanni rolls when other houses are tryharding to be honorable (read: punch each other with piece of iron) or looking for opportunity to grab more shekels drakes (while living in overly hyped mudhuts).
You don't need exploits to play as mage. What you do need is more than 1xINT magicka, else you'll simply not be able to use spells as your primary means of doing heavy duty shit.
Atronach is - imo - one of the (if not THE) best signs for every class, even fighter-type one.

Anyhow, the problem with mages lies completely in enemies' spellbooks - there's nothing that can be called creative or clever (+borderline retarded ideas like throwing poison bolts on Argonian), guess that's why some of them have 1k+ magicka.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Pure caster is arguably the most interesting playstyle because stealth is bare bones and melee combat effectively amounts to whacking things till they're dead, while spellcasting requires thinking through, making and using a lot of specialized spells.

Yeah but the tedium outweighs all that, as Cadmus just said. Morrowind's combat is the part of the game you want to bum rush through as fast as possible and pay as little attention to as possible. So you play a big motherfucker who can get Umbra as fast as possible and you whack through everything to get to the lore and exploration bits.

In Skyrim magic and stealth are both much more fun than whacking something over and over, and combat is a better part of the game in general, so it makes sense to challenge yourself there.

In Oblivion everything is shit so I dunno.

DraQ

Arcane
Atronach is - imo - one of the (if not THE) best signs for every class, even fighter-type one.
Spell absorbtion could use a big nerf in Morrowind, IMO - it should only be beneficial as long as you can store the magicka absorbed.

Anyhow, the problem with mages lies completely in enemies' spellbooks - there's nothing that can be called creative or clever (+borderline retarded ideas like throwing poison bolts on Argonian), guess that's why some of them have 1k+ magicka.
Yeah, the AI is retarded and so is NPC spell loadout.
Yeah but the tedium outweighs all that, as Cadmus just said. Morrowind's combat is the part of the game you want to bum rush through as fast as possible and pay as little attention to as possible. So you play a big motherfucker who can get Umbra as fast as possible and you whack through everything to get to the lore and exploration bits.
1. Doing same routine over and over is not going to be less tedious than experimenting with interesting different things.
2. Mages have an interesting property of not being that level dependent.
3. Mages have tons of extra options in addition to just hitting enemy in the HPs.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
1. Doing same routine over and over is not going to be less tedious than experimenting with interesting different things.
2. Mages have an interesting property of not being that level dependent.
3. Mages have tons of extra options in addition to just hitting enemy in the HPs.

I don't want more combat options in Morrowind, I don't want combat to be more varied and I don't want combat to be more challenging. I want Morrowind combat to be over. The best way for it to be over as soon as possible is to hit enemies in the HPs as hard and as early as possible and not worry about a mana bar.

DraQ

Arcane
The best way for it to be over as soon as possible is to hit enemies in the HPs as hard and as early as possible
Nope. Extreme case would be Dagoth Ur (falling into lava aside) where hitting in the HPs will just not work. But you can disable him semi-permanently with a relatively modest, if complex spell. Some enemies have HPs well into hundreds, yet their attributes remain mostly in 0-100 range and their fatigue, while usually hefty, can be indirectly reduced to a much more manageable number before being long-term plunged into negatives. Then the actual killing part becomes but a formality.
Lastly, even when hitting in the HPs you can go to around 300 per pop per s in unmodded MW - AoE if you want - and you can also summon gangbang for a more hands-on solution.

Cadmus

Arcane
Lastly, even when hitting in the HPs you can go to around 300 per pop per s in unmodded MW - AoE if you want - and you can also summon gangbang for a more hands-on solution.
Funny you say that :)
I created a summoner a few weeks ago and found out how fucking retarded the summons are. Half of their summoning time was wasted on me trying to actually get hit by some attack from the dude on the bridge to the dwarven puzzle box and when he finally hit me, all 3 of them couldn't kill him before they disappeared. This is not saving me any time from dealing with the shitty easy encounters...Of course Morrowind would crash my computer due to some codec bug every time I died so I quit it anyway.
I understand what fun you can get out of it but I think it's very much only in your mind and I loathe dealing with the UI, making the spells, selecting them and all that shit. Melee warrior idiot all the way, just to get it over with because I've seen everything already and want to get to the parts that interest me. Magic would be pretty cool for a first play-through maybe now that I think about it. But at that point, the new player is not gonna know how to work with the system because simply casting destruction isn't really effective when compared to other games.

Repost, but the current subject reminded me of it.

lXuTo1.jpg

I thought that being too lazy to give enemies individual spellbooks was the reason they came up with the autocalculated spells - NPCs pulling from a table of spells based on their available magicka at the time, which is what caused the infamous Brittlewind Bug (where nearly every NPC is be able to cast a strong frost spell meant for Fryse Hags in Bloodmoon when some mod like WGI gave NPCs more magicka than the developers intended).

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The best way for it to be over as soon as possible is to hit enemies in the HPs as hard and as early as possible
Nope. Extreme case would be Dagoth Ur (falling into lava aside) where hitting in the HPs will just not work. But you can disable him semi-permanently with a relatively modest, if complex spell. Some enemies have HPs well into hundreds, yet their attributes remain mostly in 0-100 range and their fatigue, while usually hefty, can be indirectly reduced to a much more manageable number before being long-term plunged into negatives. Then the actual killing part becomes but a formality.

But I don't want to think about it. I don't want to invest time and energy into Morrowind's combat because Morrowind's combat sucks ass.

If you can convince me pure mage makes Morrowind's combat fun and interesting then I'll start a new game right now, but just saying it's more damaging or possible or whatever holds no value for me. I want less Morrowind combat, not more.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I once used a mod that made all rats, foragers, cliff racers, guar, fishes, and mudcrabs non-aggressive, unless they were diseased. However, predators like nix-hounds would still attack, and they were made a lot stronger and faster to compensate. Dreugh could seriously fuck you up. Still, it at least met the criterion of "less Morrowind combat", or at least less Morrowind combat with tiny suicidal critters.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I don't want to invest time and energy into Morrowind's combat because Morrowind's combat sucks ass.
Then why do you force yourself to fight in the first place? Learn Illusion. Cast Invisibility. Walk past everyone you don't want to fight. Mission accomplished. Just one of the many advantages of being a mage.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Then why do you force yourself to fight in the first place? Learn Illusion. Cast Invisibility. Walk past everyone you don't want to fight. Mission accomplished. Just one of the many advantages of being a mage.

Chameleon ring is pretty boss, and I usually quickly make a shirt or pair of pants that have high chameleon as well. Never said I didn't do that so... yeah.

DraQ

Arcane
If you can convince me pure mage makes Morrowind's combat fun and interesting then I'll start a new game right now
I don't know what's fun for you, but I can convince you that:

• It will make preparation fun and interesting.
  • It will make combat at least as fun and interesting as learning whether your stuff works as intended will be.
  • It will make combat less clicky.
  • It will allow bypassing some combat.
  • It will make you feel like a fucking wizard.
Funny you say that :)
I created a summoner a few weeks ago and found out how fucking retarded the summons are. Half of their summoning time was wasted on me trying to actually get hit by some attack from the dude on the bridge to the dwarven puzzle box and when he finally hit me, all 3 of them couldn't kill him before they disappeared. This is not saving me any time from dealing with the shitty easy encounters...
Try bundling it with some token hostile effect over broad area to paint the targets. The AI is derpy, but it can be worked around in case of summons. Of course, they are not very effective in wide open spaces because of having to cross the distance, but you don't need them that much in such cases.
But at that point, the new player is not gonna know how to work with the system because simply casting destruction isn't really effective when compared to other games.
True, but it makes casting destruction in ways that *are* effective all the more satisfying.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It will make you feel like a fucking wizard.

Hmmmm...

I dunno man, my "that combat cannot be redeemed only made faster" instinct is pretty strong. I've been pretty bored of newer stuff lately though, so maybe once I finish Might and Magic X I'll give it a shot.

Cadmus

Arcane

Hmmmm...

I dunno man, my "that combat cannot be redeemed only made faster" instinct is pretty strong. I've been pretty bored of newer stuff lately though, so maybe once I finish Might and Magic X I'll give it a shot.
Well, I went back exactly because Draq sold me on it (well, I had tried it a few times before too, I think) and I always quit when I recall how much work I have to do. It's great in theory but if you have already played the game, I don't know...

DraQ

Arcane

Hmmmm...

well, 90% of the time you engage in combat is with nuissance enemies (wildlife, lolbandits). Magic allows you to just ignore them (invisibility) or to kill a whole bunch from a distance in a single casting, which is faster than running up to them and whacking them with a DDK.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
well, 90% of the time you engage in combat is with nuissance enemies (wildlife, lolbandits). Magic allows you to just ignore them (invisibility) or to kill a whole bunch from a distance in a single casting, which is faster than running up to them and whacking them with a DDK.

I loaded up the game and realized I had a level 10 mage/thief hybrid I abandoned, so I'm just gonna go back to him and focus on the mage stuff. So far it's alright.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Being a low level wimp and having to find clever approaches to lots of situations is the best part of the game. Even if you find its combat unbearable you should reconsider.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
As a sidenote, I'm playing as a vampire right now and I just can't help but laugh at the "I curse you, vampire! Away!" from male Dunmer. It's almost as good as "Oh my God, JC, a bomb!" "A bomb!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom