Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress X-Piratez! Ironman! No spoilers! Oldschool X-COM Total Conversion with mutant amazon pirates. Death to the star gods!

lightbane

Arcane
imagine a pirate gal standing over an unconscious enemy asking whether "is this one on the list?" and then watching them bleed out
Yeah, Damn Reg should use the tech-tree already to avoid these situations. IIRC, you can edit the tree in the options to not show spoilers if you're worried about that. Otherwise, this run is going to crash and burn once he's unable to get important techs in time. It's even worse in XFiles.
Finally got this corpse exam done. Looks like it's a man in a can, like I thought. Creepy. Didn't realize it had spotter and sniper, but that makes sense if it's a reticulan of some sort. Not much surprising here unfortunately. Really wish these screens revealed evasion stats.
Don't they show up in ANAL?

id I show this off before? It's been a while since we randomly recieved wreckage of one of these. Every time I've encountered these before they killed someone, often multiple someones. They were also always guarding academy Espers, which are pretty friggin' important. Also also, the damned things are apparently fairly EMP resistant. Fuck. If I had seen one of these at the start, or even known it would be here before landing, I'd have never even attempted this fight.
They were certainly improved from the base game.

C: This is related to the secret hideout over in africa. This would be scary because it implies it could fire at by other bases too.
IIRC, the more time you leave a base alive, the more powerful it gets, so careful.

I once again considered making a zeppelin or pigeon and having it float over there to keep an eye on things, but there's a problem; apparently zeppelins and pigeons don't have sight ranges like most craft do. Which, AFAIK, means it has zero chance of spotting an enemy base. They're basically just floating radar platforms. Which would be helpful in spotting an enemy ship at least, to be fair. But I'm not about to give up any of our 4 current craft for it.
Zeps have their uses as radar platforms. At worst, you could use the expedition groups thing for a spotter.

Err... I guess someone beat us to it. Should have brought a nun.
Zombies are annoying. I wonder if their arc is finished by now.

RE: grav boots cats. Remember that Grav armor makes turning cost 3 TUs rather than 1 TU. You can kind of cheat normal movement costs in this situation by strafing. Strafing left/right into cover only costs 5 TUs, which is cheaper than 3+3 TUs to change direction twice and 4 more TUs to take a step.

But I actually just found a bit of an exploit...

This is the first I've noticed it and I've never seen it mentioned anywhere. But has anyone noticed that doing a 180 and taking a step backwards with normal units only costs... 4 TUs? The exact same as stepping forward? Grav boot cats don't normally get this, but if you hold ctrl they do. This also explain to me why it always seemed to me that spotting enemies while turning/moving seems to lower the TUs you have left to be less than expected. It's because if you interrupt your actions the sum total TU expenditure is less (e.g. interrupting your turning will cause a 180 and step backwards to cost up to 8 TUs rather than this bugged 4 TUs). You have to also hold Shift to avoid the pause upon spotting enemies. I actually went back and checked and this was present in the original DOS XCOM game so its not an openxcom bug. But it's obviously blatantly wrong.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Personally I dislike fighting necropirates. They have enough damage potential that even with better than chainmail you can still take damage, and they have a lot of hp.

Honestly I've got no clear ideas at all. Thank god we've got the money to keep going at least.
You have kind of been told what triggers it, but I also missed it, because there's a lot to keep track of.
Remember this https://xpedia.netlify.app/user/mods/Piratez/Resources/Backgrounds/Strange_Lights.png event?
We've got lots of ammo for it too, the biggest drawback is that it loads in chunks of 25 ammo, which is wasteful if you needed like 6 shots for a kill.
Protip (it's game mechanics with obscure buttons, but it's also probably mentioned in one of the infinite numbered research tips): Disable the gun after the enemy ship has xploded. Disabled guns won't be reloaded in base.

It's also funny seeing you have so much respect for cyberdisks. Personally I hunt them with longbows :M
But I do also have the safety of savescumming.

Just set up a perimeter in the darkness with the ship lit up and take pot shots until they are all dead. Takes forever but at least its simple and easy. Much better than maps like the mansion.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You have kind of been told what triggers it, but I also missed it, because there's a lot to keep track of.
The main problem is that whatever event was warning me of this coincided with like, 4 other things it might have warned me about, and many of the events don't seem to warn of anything at all. My plan for now is to just try a bunch of shit to get more info. Which runs counter to the whole 'hunker down and build a team' plan, but constant missile swarms have kind of rendered that plan hopeless.
Protip (it's game mechanics with obscure buttons, but it's also probably mentioned in one of the infinite numbered research tips): Disable the gun after the enemy ship has xploded. Disabled guns won't be reloaded in base.
Yeah I knew about that one. It's annoying though.

they arent low tier, very mid, 50 frontal, sniper+spotter and 20 nv
Seriously? Shit. I hadn't grilled one yet this game. They've been going down fairly easily for all that.

RE: grav boots cats. Remember that Grav armor makes turning cost 3 TUs rather than 1 TU. You can kind of cheat normal movement costs in this situation by strafing. Strafing left/right into cover only costs 5 TUs, which is cheaper than 3+3 TUs to change direction twice and 4 more TUs to take a step.
Cats have some weird mechanics with the grav armour vs others too, being able to run at all for example, and burning stamina to move even through the air when doing so.
Don't they show up in ANAL?
I don't think so, or if they do it's in the form of X% REA or whatever, and I don't know their REA.
Otherwise, this run is going to crash and burn once he's unable to get important techs in time.
Nonsense! We shall prevail with our strength of arms and the loyalty of hot catgirls. Missing the library for so long as certainly a mistake though. But must stuff like that is signposted fairly well I think; I'm sure I grabed that tech early on previous runs, and only avoided it here because I remembered the crap about the pogroms and not the library (which didn't unlock at the time because I got it so early/)

Just set up a perimeter in the darkness with the ship lit up and take pot shots until they are all dead. Takes forever but at least its simple and easy. Much better than maps like the mansion.
That's fine if the weather is good, but spending 20+ turns in a desert is a no-go for me. It's also kind of impossible if the terrain has a lot of cover, like forests or jungle. Nope, necroplanes are worse than the mansion. At least there I could group up and cover the exits instead of just being nebulously surrounded from the entire map with blood hounds and guys that might have literal cannons.

Onward!

Shit, we really should have brought a nun. Will be nice to get revenge on these guys though, and should provide a ton of xp.
2h3fmA9.png

Ouch. Yep, I remember that shit now.
BY02pd1.png

Holy shit that hurt.
1cmtFII.png

Well, on the upside, looks like it used over half his TUs, so it'll be safe to finish him off now.
d7UCtbt.png

Oh come on! At least nobody got hurt this time. I'm guessing that gun relies on plenty of small hits that didn't get through the liquidator armour.
Opa8lfd.png

Another bastard over on the edge has an assault rifle. Probably with AP rounds.
ABPRhgC.png
We t
We 'killed' the lesser zombie trooper with the rifile, but he simply transforms instead of dying. Now he's basically a normal zombie. Except also armoured.
6uZPz9b.png

Defending the craft without being near a wall is very awkward. Fortunately nothing is too close by, so we should be fine.
C3nMDYw.png

I try to get a scan on the sentinel but there is a bunch of smoke in the way. Actually, the smoke is from a Chryssalid grenade we threw at the bastard. The damage should be extreme vs zombies and bypass armour. It didn't kill him though. I was hoping to see exactly how much damage it did.
gFgLvCE.png

Well, maybe if the area is lit on fire the brainer can see him? We get reaction fired through the smoke though.
PzuPpeX.png

Yeah, that sucks. Still pretty lucky though considering what happened to the werewolf, even accounting for their weakness to lasers and fire.
ywc95gl.png

The busted up trooper approached the back of the ship, so Robroy steps out to deal with it. The bardiche proves highly effective.
6Dnkrvo.png

Enemy phases are stressful here, zombies are very unpredictable and are usually easy to kill by virtue of their terrible pathing. But if they randomly beeline someone and start biting...
odTDbEm.png

Jaedar has to bust out the fire extinguisher, as both our werewolf and the cockpit are on fire. Now it's all smokey in here making it harder to fire though. Urgh.
mN8vpdz.png

We finally get a scan on the sentinel. It's close to dead, but not at all stunned. It's probably stun immune?
KfbkQCO.png

We manage to kill it and...
u3so8yT.png

It also turns into a healthy one armed zombie trooper. This is going to be quite the slog.
iPY2YKP.png

Werewolves might have kind of shit accuracy, but they're more than capable of chopping up regular zombies.
mGJBhGt.png

Katt tries out some flaming arrows, to either burn some zombies over time or at least provide some light and vision. No dice though.
mpu6VlS.png

Appropriate screen transition though.
g6gFN5L.png

The Bugeye we brought along is able to see through the smoke much better, showing his worth as a spotter already. His stats are still crap though.
hWTPHlY.png

Jaedar has been doing a lot of the heavy lifting with the Fatty. Unfortunately, that has turned the area near the craft into a smokey burning hellscape.
Rb0t36e.png

Another one of these bastards kind of requires it's application though. I don't want to see how effective that thing is up close.

P9662Yb.png

Well the good news is we blew it's arm off. The bad news is, the damaged trooper got inside the craft and started attacking Azira.
UBBxkF2.png

Thankfully, he dodged the attacks by some miracle, and like an idiot, I had him back up and try using the shotgun. I figured an auto shotgun at point blank should do the trick... but the amrour was way too thick.
6WXazF1.png

Next I bring in one of the catgirls with the pike. This scores plenty of solid hits... and then it occurs to me I should have left her on standby to drain it's TU's as it approaches.
P5TnkKP.png

She dealt a good chunk of damage and drained it's TUs, but it's still got a lot of health remaining.
fGEyVWc.png

Relm comes to the rescue, however. The Painbringer is very effective and puts it down with a volley or two. It even dealt enough stun to leave it asleep, and I would like this thing captured.
KQNdtFV.png

Starting to scout out further from the landing zone.
O1oty2b.png

I remembered that zombies got stunned and downed very quickly by the electric rounds from the rifles. I also forgot to bring those rounds and rifles, but we DO have electric rounds for this giant cannon. Seems worth a shot.
lfG5dCO.png

Found a busted up corner of the ship. Kind of annoying, I'm worried they're jump down from here while we try to get to the doors.

9ka5rYJ.png

Err, those were not the electrical rounds. Whatever.
66oqSQl.png

Pushing out over here too. Kind of worried about zombies waking up and ambushing, but we've got some leeway with a werewolf I think.
jMWDog8.png

I contemplate throwing in some dynamite to blast the zombies on the ledge by the hole in the hull, but decide not to. Might be valuable loot in there.
cJBgpHM.png

I do realize I can just fly a catgirl over onto the roof, however.
1DhF2o7.png

She'll need a couple turns to recover stamina, but this is a great spot. We've got the ship surrounded now, she can pop down to stab people and get back to cover in one turn.
1gqVIN8.png

Fuckers have more ranged shit!
uBAHKaH.png

Ah, well these are easy to put down at least. And I did want another, dead or 'alive'.
gxv2nNG.png

I try to make with the pike stabby stabby but she actually misses a bunch and doesn't deal much damage. SHAME.
Rfd3PB5.png

And our werewolf on the east flank eats a shotgun slug for improbably large amounts of damage. Definitely an AP round.
BDInTIX.png

12 turns so far. It's a grind, but we're steadily killing shit.
0ds6KMO.png

I manage to notice our 'prisoner' woke back up. A few more painbringer rounds but him back to sleep.
Ss6zX4z.png

Ran out of boarding gun ammo and had to switch to an advanced lasgun. More smokey firey clusterfuck. At least this is way more accurate.
4nfmk4M.png

Well shit, one of them shot up our werewolf.
BBeYHLh.png

He gets right back up. That was a big chunk of stun. I'm glad we've got 3 again, so I can rotate them out for healing and regeneration as needed.
0ijAK6X.png

Fifteen turns gone by now. Starting to be a freshness concern on the weaker members, but we're mostly okay thanks to the mild weather.
EaoyW1i.png

I finally get eye inside the ship. Bottom is a huge cargo room with another sentinel zombie inside.
1Et3aVT.png

And the second floor has another singer, visible thanks to the giant hole in the floor, it's basically a catwalk around the hull.
N4x8yKG.png

Most of the crew makes their way over to provide covering fire as we try to get inside to finish this.
wTn65eI.png

Those electric rounds got picked up and loaded. Weirdly, it seems to behave like some kind of shotgun? It's not very good with these stats at this range. Not enough pellets.
Zoh7FRF.png

We keep chipping away at the trooper with all available weapons and eventually take him out.
ndqcw9S.png

Well, took his gun out anyways. I'm impatient to get inside, not wanting to be surprised by their ranged attacks, so I pull Gandalfia forward and swivel around. Not enough TUs to kill whatever approaches, but we can at least deflect attacks. We should be okay.
OduL2eZ.png

Turns out it's the other side we needed to worry about.
Ld8ajDH.png

Fucker took her down with one shot from like 20 tiles away.
Fi6GSsJ.png

She's even on fire. Not dead, but not looking good. He's covering the body too.
a5oc3bV.png

Claws might not be great vs armour, but we've got a lot of TUs to burn and our base power is like 110. This should do the trick, especially from behind.
Qw95fX9.png

...and it doesn't. Cutting resistance perhaps? Would make sense with that kind of gear.
0OEXzFB.png

We've got kitty ready to go from the roof. But... we kind of need her to be the medic. Everyone is on the east side of the map.
jMcJKWS.png

I send in Gandalfia to finish the job.
WbDzRta.png

I don't know what the elvish words for 'zombie slayer' are, but that sword deserves a name.
KmVQCmP.png

Of course, that still leaves us with a very healthy melee zombie to deal with.
TwBu7Ox.png

And we've got no energy left to move. I think our melee evasion still works vs melee though, and energy is only needed for gun deflection? Bad situation regardless.
fgo6kjZ.png

But then I recall, we have TWO hot catgirl babes. And this one can sprint all the way from across the map to provide healing.
5owg99D.png

Good thing too, Ceres had seven wounds. Damn that weapon does a lot of damage over time.
Pr6F73o.png

Well, she's near death, but we can definitely save her.
j7NkXsx.png

Jaedar ended up throwing the fire extinguisher all the way back to the ship, and Relm (who was babysitting the trooper body) ran out to pick it up and bring it over to Ceres.
Vw9Yyul.png

We'll be able to extinguish her next turn.
4HeyO2S.png

Which frees our other girl up for some stabbing!
5NUGJvt.png

And once again, she fails to finish the job, and once again I realize I am an idiot and should have let her overwatch them and just steal his TUs when he tried to move.
oNCuhXg.png

Thankfully, the zombie goes for the werewolf over the gal.
R57wjfc.png

He knocked our good boy out, but he got back up and is still kicking.
zXc4lzS.png

Our werewolf over here got bit as well and also survived, but isn't conscious. Robroy brings down the axe.
nr55vze.png

Jaedar sprints over to provide first aid, and someone tosses over an extra healing gel we'll be needing for it.
hFM5s40.png

Another scary moment- a zombie woke up and went after Relm. Luckily she knocked it back out with the fucking extinguisher. I guess it was lucky I forgot to use it on the fire; it meant we had enough to spare for reaction attacks!
ugbUIoz.png

Last enemy is the singer, and it gets ambushed walking through a doorway and scratched to bits.
stjLbnH.png

Whew. That was quite the fucking encounter. No deaths though!
fuHVJOS.png

We took some wounds, but most weren't serious and we got plenty of stats. +6 ACC gains is where it's at! A shame Jaedar stole so many kills, we could have gotten even more I bet.
VtH8xDi.png

Loot isn't great, apparently it was a booze shipment. Some new zombie parts to study though.
8T9iWTo.png

Titles continue to build back up. Relm apparently has quite the stat total, as does Robroy.
j1oBbOY.png

Research time!
45QxEMF.png

Ooh, a nice mission for farming kills. If only we had a good ship it'd be perfect for building up weak members safely, but we can't really do much with catgirls on this without getting mobbed from spotters.
lGHJbIi.png

We're also still a bit tired... Manatee is healed now, but Ceres is going to be off duty for over a month. Gah.
ayQNt2R.png

Christ it's only been like two days! I even managed to build an outpost (one day build time on top of a burrow) and saw nothing before it got blown up. Infuriating.
P2OvZqV.png

At least it hasn't killed the crew quarters yet. That would really suck.
soLhlFm.png

At long last!
eF126wv.png

LOL, and also some intel from a prisoner. We haven't fought these babes yet, but they use fancy laser lajatangs and fly. And we can't loot the weapons because they're bullshit. :(
1oegyjU.png

Not as many new projects as I'd hoped, but school will probably unlock even more. That'll be our next big target. I've got some hopes for the crusader armour and sentinel remains too.
5dVxLiN.png

But before we can get there, we need to at least take a peek at this base. If it's a nightmare we'll bail, but on the off chance it's doable and might stop the missile spam, we have to try.
Owt09LY.png

std::namespace

u got so extremely lucky with a 20 werewolves mission...

also your bugeyes got like 23 voodoo skill while even peasants cap at 66, so train train train your brain, try wands

Last edited by a moderator:

lightbane

Arcane
Holy shit that hurt.
I may be misremembering, but in OG XCUM, getting 10+ wounds on a soldier means he died next turn from the wounds, but I dunno if Piratez uses that in a modified manner. Lasers don't cause wounds but cause burning effects I think.

The Bugeye we brought along is able to see through the smoke much better, showing his worth as a spotter already. His stats are still crap though.
They're a support race. Shame only the NPCs can use mind-control goodness while you'll always be stuck with an inferior version.

std::namespace

"MANUFACTURING
+ X to mark all displayed items as seen"

shift x? ctrl shift x?

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Regarding zombies (or anything else) popping back up after being knocked unconscious... Can't you just handcuff them? I know it used to be a feature in the past, and I imagine it's probably still in. The actual mechanics are a bit obscure, you'd need to look them up.

I would *assume* that missiles work like enemy ships/missions, which means that they are calculated on the 1st of the month and will always arrive on specific days. So I'd guess you're just unlucky that RNG decided you have so many all of the sudden, it's not a response to attacking specific ships or anything. The amount of defenses you need to shoot them down is honestly silly, and I think they are just so fast that they often get in before your radar can pick them up. You'd probably need a hyperwave decoder along with very fast ships to have a chance to shoot them down in air combat.

Last edited:
Missile attraction is the weighting for targeted facilities, the lab has 0 so I assume it can only get hit if everything else has already been destroyed.

OzGiWKx.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Necroplanes are the worst map layout in the game.
This is such a hilariously naive statement I don't even know. Even if you dislike the necroplane, it only takes up like 6x40 squares!
I did missions with 100 enemies but that stupid plane layout still annoys me the most
For me, the worst mission is cruising counsellors. Just 100% boring. There are more bullshit missions, but in terms of lack of fun that's it.
I would *assume* that missiles work like enemy ships/missions, which means that they are calculated on the 1st of the month and will always arrive on specific days. So I'd guess you're just unlucky that RNG decided you have so many all of the sudden, it's not a response to attacking specific ships or anything. The amount of defenses you need to shoot them down is honestly silly, and I think they are just so fast that they often get in before your radar can pick them up. You'd probably need a hyperwave decoder along with very fast ships to have a chance to shoot them down in air combat.
The missiles behave like base assaults. There's a scouting ship that flies around, and if it spots your base that spawns several missile strikes later in the month. The missiles have so much hp that static defence won't cut it, and have a speed high enough that shark jetbike is the only craft I found that can handle it. And it pretty much only works if the jetbike launches from the base that is being targeted, because if the angle isn't dead on the missiles will speed past. Takes about 100 gauss rounds to take down one missile.

In short, missiles are bullshit :M

Damned Registrations

Alright, lets see who are neighbours are.

EB2jIJ0.png

Well fuck.
a55maQd.png

You fellas have a nice day now!
NCCZXOk.png

At least craft shootdowns are going well. Still need a heavy weapon other than carronades.
Vbeof8p.png

Finally realized that sight range is only available on ground craft; basically, helicopters or actual ground vehicles like cars and shit. Fuck. Those pretty much all suck. I think Bikes are the best I could get if I want to scout around for hidden bases.
ZD89eoY.png

A common theme of the level C bounty missions is that they sound much more dangerous than they actually are. Limited to 6 people (It's actually worse)? Infiltration weapons only? But I've done this before. We'll be fine.
FaiUflE.png

The arour restriction only precludes stuff with built in weapons. Shields count, weirdly, but obvious combat armour is totally fine otherwise.
hNgF44w.png

And our enemies are chumps. This guy is probably the strongest dude here.
yLvYMPV.png

AND it takes place in a tiny little map with nice choke points to defend. Easy street. We actually only sent 4 people, because the mission enforces that restriction by craft, and our Scarab is under 6 but only seats 4.
8pignp5.png

This place looks way more comfy than our base.
JnsZvry.png

Easy pickings.

378NheT.png

Next up is a water mission. I may have, uh, misjudged what gear was availabile for catgirls here.
KfE2JNj.png

No matter, it was zombies. Totally trivialized by being able to swim.
0Z7g94Q.png

Nice little tip this one is. Kinda not fucking true though.
CaYSs9M.png

Another easy mission, this time with lots of bodies to kill. Good stuff.
xcOy6Mj.png

Aw fuck I forgot about these people, I was expecting ruffians and shit. Well, these are still pretty easy.
ewz7pJm.png

Though being shot by 4 with full TUs will put a lot of holes in a werewolf.
5Ta2tDv.png

Like, a LOT of holes. More medical practice for us. Yay!
cgt0788.png

I came here to train throwing, and that's what we're going to do, damnit. Also, poisoner titles hopefully.
KVoGZCf.png

Fucking grenade happy cunts. Didn't even hurt her though. Chainmail too good.
qJ6C7Kj.png

Way more of them than I expected too. Good thing we brought plenty of ninja stars.
eYXyxJV.png

Oh for fucks sake. We were standing on a gas pump too.
wplxxlt.png

Well shit, that's going to be a fuckton more hospital time.
y8EZKPg.png

Takes quite a while to find the bastards, they're spread everywhere and have fucking camo.
TbY54E8.png

And several have fucking light machine guns.
qA5grVf.png

There's a few with grenade launchers too. Whatever, I can shield bash two and stand on a third here probably.
IITXpz1.png

Oh, unless that happens. Yeah. Cool. Turns out the fucker had a fucking LIVE GRENADE in his pocket. How the fuck am I supposed to play around enemies this suicidal?
QETVM7a.png

She's not only wounded and knocked out, she's the purple note as well, which means she's going to take overstun too I think.
uNNtPvx.png

Time for an ill-advised rescue mission where we sprint across the map and get shot a bunch.
mZRnxyv.png

We can get to her next turn.
INgwB7j.png

So obviously she dies right then.
6Q5nLwb.png

And enemies also surrender on this turn. Cool. Awesome. Fucking fantastic. I didn't want that one anyways.
8m9svI8.png

And hey, we got +6 throwing skill after killing 30 people. Aren't training missions great?
Jc82Sqd.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Finally realized that sight range is only available on ground craft; basically, helicopters or actual ground vehicles like cars and shit. Fuck. Those pretty much all suck. I think Bikes are the best I could get if I want to scout around for hidden bases.
Explain this to me? I'm pretty sure I spotted the one base I found in my game with normal flying craft.

lightbane

Arcane
Alright, lets see who are neighbours are.
Merc Secret Base? Oof. This will be a thorn on your side for a LONG time. Maybe there's a "central computer" or something you can blow up instead, ala classic XCOM?

Not sure how it works, Zeppelins and Spy-craft can detect bases without issues, even if it takes them longer, perhaps.

Nice little tip this one is. Kinda not fucking true though.
Capturing robotic units is something Dio seems to keep changing his mind, as sometimes some units can be captured, sometimes they don't next update. Assume they're not capturable unless stated otherwise. And use electric damage.

Damned Registrations

Explain this to me? I'm pretty sure I spotted the one base I found in my game with normal flying craft.
So there are two different stats for finding shit; radar and visual range. Radar is on pretty much everything, but visual range is only on the aforementioned ground units (or near ground like helicopters.) And visual range is what gets used for finding bases, as opposed to enemy craft. I think the craft radar you can make adds a tiny bit to visual range, so maybe you used that and found a base? Or maybe this stops being a limitation with higher level craft and they just start getting visual range too.

We've got a couple missions available, but the ratman cave is a no go (I mean, we could probably swarm it with bloodhounds and our gnome but... screw that.) and we don't have many people I'd want to send to a village protection either. Though I do want to start doing those regularly.
h4IUr1C.png

This tech took a surprisingly long time. The results are promising though; as I expected Bugeyes have a vey high potential firing stat, and coupled with high reactions and their great vision, they'll make for good snipers, provided we can give them enough training. Good for voodoo as well. Sadly, we didn't unlock some sort of 'Bugeye armours' tech like I was hoping.
DOOVtLL.png

We did, however, unlock this. Which seems pretty important. Going to take a long time to see real results here though.
Ne4ST9f.png

A nice random event- we've now got a pair of these strongboxes, so we could study one and open the other. Might be worth doing; I wouldn't expect great weapons but maybe a cool stealthsuit or some other weird utility. OTOH, if we can find another smuggler to capture, we might get the unlock technique and preserve the box.
w7Bx9So.png

Decided to send our sharkbike after this thing.
Bgw0yr6.png

Yep, that was indeed a 5000 speed gunship that blew us apart very quickly. To be fair, we don't have much armour, but we do have a ton of evasion and this thing did not miss much.
IYma9Bi.png

Woo! Another xp farm.
KKCypzX.png

Err, well, that's a bit scarier than I was hoping for. Again, this would be a complete non-issue with a decent ship that only has one ground entrance. Doesn't help that I didn't set us up in some perfect formation with spears before the mission even started because I'm lazy. I did, however, at least have the foresight to keep a few chryssalid grenades kicking around.
29KsL9t.png

The grenade landed right where I wanted it. We take up defensive positions. I think we'll be fine, only the funky zombies are particularly scary, and they'll probably die to the grenade. Even if something makes it past the spears our werewolves can carve up a zombie or two.
ddfpTMb.png

Ooh that was a satisfying explosion.
pnZXejP.png

Sure enough, only the bruiser from that pack survived, and he got torn to bits after walking through the door.
psufjtl.png

Another made it through this door, and while it didn't drop dead, it did get stuck in the doorway, keeping other zombies out. All according to cake.
3Ws5AnW.png

A little later I find another bruiser sneaking around this side. Azira puts to use his gun-kata and fan-hammers it with the whole 6 rounds.
Zzo9PuB.png

Or, well, 2 of the 6 rounds. Apparently the dirt was particularly threatening over here. Who am I to judge? Thankfully 2 rounds was enough. Slayer rounds really are perfect for soft zombies.
XHXyIW1.png

My one gripe about the mission is that because so many were so close to us, I ended up killing a ton with Azira and Jaedar again. I mean, he even ran out of shots for the damned gun.
UMdyU6B.png

Still, even the 1/3rd or so of the zombies we got to kill with the others provided some nice xp. That +4 THR Bowser Jr. got was from that one grenade btw. I think xp rewards might be based on damage dealt. It's my best explanation for why zombies reward so much. Either that or per hit, but if it were per hit I'd expect way more xp from faster weapons.
kiEzxoT.png

This turned out to be kind of a dud research. Weird.
SbHzRHM.png

Got this out of the Narlock/Lokknaar beliefs tech. There are like 20 of their stupid gods; it's part of why I want to go after the narlocks, they drop religious texts that will unlock this crap quickly.
sKheH6h.png

Rock smashing is proceding. Hopefully the gems and gold is useful with that gemology tech.
Vl3SMkA.png

Ah, this is why we got this from the Mechtoid, it's literally a reward specificlaly from them. Cool. +40 health is fucking rad, but the ANAL page revealed it also costs 90 morale. So uh, probably not a great way to get back into a fight.
4HnXpOF.png

Oh, and they require incredbly rare moon flowers to make. Fuck. Still might be worth it to heal up an elite at the end of a mission so they aren't in a hospital forever. I'll craft one at least. This sure isn't our mushroom sink though, which is a shame.
FAIgds5.png

Hah, no thanks, we've got enough reticulans right now. You can get blown to bits for marginal xp gains.
zEu6K6a.png

Another ANAL page reveals that enemy melee dodge IS something I can check. Very good to know!
xdGDOld.png

We run an academy outpost mission next. I actually brought a nun here in case it was the zombie variant, but it's just the bog standard one.
rfSmqKS.png

These aren't even useful prisoners any more so I just mow them down with the ogres for some xp.
iLQLGbm.png

I put this off until all the other reticulans were interrogated to improve odds of getting a good tech.
N9GU6oJ.png

...and he gave us intel on some random ass alien planet. Shit.
QpZPG09.png

However! He also unlocked two very promising techs by virtue of being a technician. These are some high priority researches; purple shields could be amazing for catgirls or bugeyes being able to take a bullet from bandits and such. And just knowing their properties will be quite helpful. Power systems might lead to cool shit as well.
igMgewM.png

We research more zombies and their corpses as well, filling out our bestiary.
1CYtyNu.png

Did this one too, but we already know about literally every firearm he could tell us about, so no bonus info. Boo.
rdnqeB1.png

Tried taking out a reticulan craft but we literally ran out of ammo in the attempt, and it damaged us enough to stall reloading the weapon for a day and it escaped.
JrH26mp.png

More zone stalkers! You know what? I'll take 'em at this point.
eu913Mc.png

Got this one done since it's fairly quick. Aside from having the best health to wound healing ratio of anything so far, it's got 99 uses per battle. However, it burns 60 energy per us, making it pretty hard to use repeatedly on a heavily wounded unit. It has another upside though: it works underwater! That's a pretty huge deal, as most healing stuff does not.
br46zgz.png

Apparently does not work in space though. LOL.
f4AzaHI.png

Cracked open another data disk since we've got so many basic tips finished now. We got a narlock god instead. Grrr. I really want the cool stuff the data disks can reveal, but I also don't want to burn 10 to get like 1 or 2 good things. In previous runs I had a million girl guides from brothel missions and narlock scriptures as well to get this stuff out of the way. No luck on that front though.
kdn2Jhe.png

It's been like a week since the last missile strike so I'm just crossing my fingers and dumping a fuckton of money into here again. If missiles get through 4 irradiator towers I'm going to be pissed. And if they get blown up again before they finish I'm scrapping this base.
5vJ4NXA.png

Despite spending an unholy amount of money, we didn't need to sell anything to break even this month, owing to a staggering monthly rating of 13097. Nicely done! I can see how simply shooting down enemy craft can be a viable way to fund your bases.
aWxDzMP.png

Oh, and I didn't grab a shot of it, but after out sharkbike died, I replaced it with ground bikes and have had them trolling around the world looking for secret bases. No dice so far. I also realized something I should have paid attention to long ago: This stupid merc base isn't IN a fucking country. It's in no-mans land. In retrospect, having your main base in a place like that so it can't get wiped by losing support from a country would be a major advantage in it's own right. At any rate, this makes me much less worried about taking this thing out in the near future. Though I would still like to do that at some point. Possibly with some blood hounds carrying nuclear bombs.
jrjy8ct.png

Necroplanes are the worst map layout in the game.
This is such a hilariously naive statement I don't even know. Even if you dislike the necroplane, it only takes up like 6x40 squares!
I did missions with 100 enemies but that stupid plane layout still annoys me the most
For me, the worst mission is cruising counsellors. Just 100% boring. There are more bullshit missions, but in terms of lack of fun that's it.
The missiles have so much hp that static defence won't cut it.
I've heard they require 300 damage from base d defense to stop but if you deal enough partial damage you'll destroy a fraction of the missiles in the salvo to lower the damage you take. 300 is... a lot though

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I've heard they require
spoiler that stuff mang.
But also it's not entirely true I think. There are multiple tiers of missile volleys. I'm facing T3 ones, and since they take almost a 100 gauss cannon rounds I'm pretty sure it's way more than 300 damage, at least when factoring in accuracy/dodge stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom