Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Writing For Mass Effect 3

attackfighter

Magister
That's why only tools get too caught up in worrying about that crap.

But I do have to say that things just seem tacked on in mass effect series. Just like you might say some writing is good and some bad, it just seems bad in how things tie together. It's nothing to do with structure, which is what's easier to analyze. It's more just the care taken to make things cohesive is not there and shit is too formulaic, but it's subjective to say such a thing and not easy to argue.

Maybe it's because everything is super epic awesome it makes it hard to maintain verisimilitude when you have so much fucking awesome going on.

I think the C&C in ME feels wierd because of how awkwardly implemented it is. Usually it's presented in the form of two choices which you make through dialogue and it's usually blatantly obvious when you're having a "C&C moment". In Fallout the choices were more discreet and the situations felt more natural, rather than the forced situations of ME ("YOU MUST DECIDE WHETHER OR NOT TO LET THE REAPERS KILL THE COUNCIL IT'S ALL UP TO YOU BRO"). Although one thing I have to fault Fallout for is how sporadic the C&C was: they had a situation in F2 where if you slept with some mob bosses wife, she'd give birth to your child and that child would take over New Reno - but then there were other instances where a more meaninful action doesn't even get mentioned. Kinda dissapointed with the ending slides of the first two Fallouts tbh, the only Fallout that had satisfactory ending content was Los Vegas.

Drakron

Arcane
True, also I just don't think C&C works well for multiple titles. Consequences just keep piling up.

Well there is the Galactic Readiness system that is tied with multiplayer but seems to be about resources (Fleets, weapons,etc ...) that is likely tied with the endings (from comments about how multiplayer affects the ending).

So lets say we dont save the Council ... in ME2 the news said the Turians were building up if you did not save the council so during ME3 in case you did not save the Council the Turians are stronger because they were gearing up for a possible war against the Alliance, this is just flavor but you can just make the Turian Fleet stronger in the Galactic Readiness because of that, if they are doing for the Batarians they can do it for other races.

This might lead to a situation were going to the EXTREME does not lead to a optimal solution ... like Wrex were if you kill him then the Korgan will not be as strong as they will be under his leadership, they can also make it so they can cancel themselves up, save the Rachni Queen you have then as ally but the Reapers will have Rachni Husks.

There are stuff they have to do, saving the council does affect the Turians, Asari and Salarians and we will be visiting their homeworlds, even if its just flavor dialog that does not really cuts off the player from gaining then as allies they still have to do it ... and they confirmed if squad members died on the Suicide Mission they will not be coming back, this means they are willing to cut significant part of content from being seen.

Also ME2 seem be relative un-eventeful, the big decision come down to the Collectors Base, everything else was pretty much a buildup to it ... sure, there are some important stuff on the Personal Missions (like Samara problems with her daughter) but not really that much.

curry

Arcane
nhdVP.jpg

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Learn more about the process of achieving the level of emotional engagment we all came to love BioWare for by watching this ME3 video interview.

BioWare, if you're reading this, please send me an N7 shirt. Thanks.

Watching that video, I had a thought. We now have people (like this announcer, or Todd Howard, or Chris Priestly, or the hideous fatass from IGN preview videos) who both

a) look like nerds
AND
b) are dumb as a rock

True nerds took refuge in the computer lab or the library, away the chaos of the school corridors. Getting slammed into lockers was part of life, and most of their contact with party invitations was in passing them to others. True nerds wrote love notes that went unanswered, and stood alone at the school dance, in a room saturated with hormones and cheap wine.

These people are not nerds. They are wannabes. Dumb proles who became "geeks" when it became "cool" and "safe". They did not develop any sort of intellectual capacity of note. These sloths climbed the ladder by kissing someone's ass. They did not deserve the disheveled hair, the glasses, the nerdy T-shirts they wear - visual ids that used to let jocks know it's okay to toss this guy's backpack out the window. They overcame NOTHING, and got as much in return.

These trendsters make nerds into average people who look like lazy bums with no redeeming qualities of note. Fuck them.

circ

Arcane
Yeah except in true BiWare fashion, that's no robot. That's a generic female with blue skin.

OOOHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OUR ASDF
FANSASSSSSSS
FANS
WONT KNWO WHAT THEY FUCK THAT IS
CHANGEUIAO IT
CHANGE IT
FEMALE WITH
JUST COLOR HER MAKER HER COLOR
SSFFFFFFHSSSSSSSSSSFFHHF
BRAINNAA HURRRRSTS

Forgotten Friend

Educated
a) look like nerds
Hey guys let's hire a jewish PR guy with glasses. Computer nerds, jews, close enough amiright.

Bobby Kotick and David Silverman - the biggest justifications for antisemitism since Karl Marx and Leon Trotsky.
I didn't mean it in an antisemitic way just a comment on how clueless they are. But a little genocide would be a small price to pay to get rid of those two.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
There's tons of stupid shit in ME3 like Garrus and Tali hooking up, the EDI sexbot, bizarre kumbaya outcome between the Quarians and Geth that makes no sense, TIM turning into Meredith/Orsino 2.0 ,etc etc.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's amazing these things sell. Why aren't we all making loads of money by selling shit ourselves?

There's tons of stupid shit in ME3 like Garrus and Tali hooking up, the EDI sexbot, bizarre kumbaya outcome between the Quarians and Geth that makes no sense, TIM turning into Meredith/Orsino 2.0 ,etc etc.

Garrus and Tali hooking up

So that's why someone said you can't romance them in ME3? :lol:

Grade S trolling, Bioware :salute:

There's tons of stupid shit in ME3 like Garrus and Tali hooking up

SAY WHAAAAAT?

Seriously? That's beyond retarded. They did that just to force an EMOTIONAL LOVE TRIANGLE, right?

I played the other two...so I'll play this one. But the "I WANT TO BE A REAPER!" ending had still better be in.

Esquilax

Arcane
Watching that video, I had a thought. We now have people (like this announcer, or Todd Howard, or Chris Priestly, or the hideous fatass from IGN preview videos) who both

a) look like nerds
AND
b) are dumb as a rock

True nerds took refuge in the computer lab or the library, away the chaos of the school corridors. Getting slammed into lockers was part of life, and most of their contact with party invitations was in passing them to others. True nerds wrote love notes that went unanswered, and stood alone at the school dance, in a room saturated with hormones and cheap wine.

These people are not nerds. They are wannabes. Dumb proles who became "geeks" when it became "cool" and "safe". They did not develop any sort of intellectual capacity of note. These sloths climbed the ladder by kissing someone's ass. They did not deserve the disheveled hair, the glasses, the nerdy T-shirts they wear - visual ids that used to let jocks know it's okay to toss this guy's backpack out the window. They overcame NOTHING, and got as much in return.

These trendsters make nerds into average people who look like lazy bums with no redeeming qualities of note. Fuck them.

Nice theory, but that doesn't explain why MCA is so devilishly handsome. How do you account for that?

Black

Arcane
There's tons of stupid shit in ME3 like Garrus and Tali hooking up

SAY WHAAAAAT?

Seriously? That's beyond retarded. They did that just to force an EMOTIONAL LOVE TRIANGLE, right?

I played the other two...so I'll play this one. But the "I WANT TO BE A REAPER!" ending had still better be in.
What, you wanted to keep her for yourself?
Or HIM for yourself?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom