Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Write short "Memorable things you should do in RPG X"

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Might and Magic VI- Stepping on the teleporters in Ironfist Castle and getting sent to the random island off the coast and fighting my way out of and then back into the crater, barely surviving at low levels and having to pull out all the stops/cheese to survive.

Daggerfall- The first hour effect of that game is amazing

Morrowind- Seeing how open the world is for the first time.

Fallout New Vegas- Finally meeting Mr. House. An almost God figure in the area and you are the only one to see him in his true, zombie-esque form.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm currently playing Gothic and this moment is fantastic. What happened to me was that I managed to start running just before getting brutally murdered and lured all three into a group of bloodflies down the road. Two quickly turned around and fled. The last one, the one who had let me into the ambush, got attacked nearly to death, at which point he appeared to give up and tell me why he had ambushed me. A few days later I come across a miner within the walls of the Old Camp who approaches me to tell me how my decision not to pay has burdened the community, and then proceeds to attempt to murder me. I expect to be surprised again.
Oh shit there's a followup if you beat up the ambushers? Forgot about it completely.

But yeah it's with little encounters like that that Gothic sets the tone for the rest of the game. You think: "Heh! Protection money? This is a trap for rookie players to get them to part easily with their hard earned money. This is an RPG, guards are like lvl1 dudes, I'll be taking their money soon enough." And then you realize guards are not to be messed with. If you join the Old camp, it will even be a position and social status you'll be wishing to obtain. Work at it enough, and at some point, you'll be doing the collecting.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Mine:

Gothic 1: Get the teleporter stone to the old camp after certain events, unleash sweet unyielding vengeance with magic and/or might.

Arcanum: Inadvertently uncover Kerghan's history and then meet him, realizing the pieces were there for you to put together; follow the gnome conspiracy to the end and leave with that empty feeling.

ToEE: Beat the game, start a new run, and still die to those goddamn spiders.

Bloodlines: Convince your former friend you're her pet Turtle as a Malk; threaten the stop sign as a Malk, basically everything as a Malk. Try to shoot the werewolf to death, and realize you made the same mistake as everyone else.

Gothic 2: Get lost in the wilderness while it's dark out with some amazing atmosphere and music.

NWN2MotB: Go full evil and get a legitimately satisfying ending.

Icewind Dale 1: Meet Kresselack; go through the severed hand in all it's ruined glory.

Divinity 1: Take the sword out of the stone, do not put it back in...

...alternatively, cast Armageddon in Ultima 6/7 (and complete the game anyway in 7.)

smileyninja

Educated
Pool of Radiance: cast animate dead on your elf because he can't be resurrected. Reload after gaining a few levels when you realize he no longer gets XP.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Arcanum: Speak with dead.

Fallout: The Glow and being let in to the Brotherhood Bunker.

AoD: Getting to the bottom of the Abyss, thieves vs Esbenus, convincing Teron IGs to puppet-emperor Antidas, flying, Kemnebi.

Gothic 2: Valley of the Mines 1st visit and "sneaking" in to the Old Camp/castle. Seeing the new world that NotR added.

PS:T: Entering the tomb you built. (though you probably won't know it yet)

BG2: Starting a Lich fight early and marveling at what they can do (in the seconds it takes it to crush you). Playing with SCS for the first time.

KotOR 2: Final chat with the (living) Council.

Deus Ex: Morpheus.

Pillars of Eternity: Dyrford cult, dealing with Raedric, Baby-juice.

Original Sin: Creative teleports.

DA:O: Dealing with that kid's possession in Redcliffe. Especially if you go in to the fade yourself OR go the complete opposite and decide fucking with rituals is a waste of time.

Fallout 3:
Hanging out on forums.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Some of the best so far:

Arcanum: Wander around not knowing what to do until you decide to ask a passing NPC for directions or read a newspaper.
Arx Fatalis: Ensure an audience with the stubborn goblin king.
Baldur's Gate 1: Kill Drizzt Do'Urden.
Baldur's Gate 2: Obtain Carsomyr, Croem Faeyr and those great items.
Bard's Tale: Fight 4x99 Berserkers.
Chaos Strikes Back: Start in darkness, flanked by two purple worms and try to keep your cool.
Curse of the Azure Bonds: Fight the Mulmaster Beholder Corps.
Daggerfall: Create unique characters bending the game's rules and venture into massive, twisted dungeons without ever knowing if you'll find the way out again.
Dark Souls: You died.
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands: Escape the arena - anyway you can.
Darklands: Sleep in a village, find out that they are all devil worshippers.
Deus Ex: Enter the women's restroom.
Escape from Hell: Recruit Hitler into your party by presenting him with your copy of Mein Kampf.
Fallout 1: Explore The Glow.
Fallout New Vegas: Take Mr. House off life support.
Gothic 1: Refuse to pay protection money to the Old camp guards.
Might & Magic VI: Side with evil, follow an entirely different storyline and transform you mage into a Lich!
Morrowind: Find Caius Cossades.
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer: Devour the soul of a dead god.
Oblivion: Uninstall.
Planescape: Torment: During a debate about afterlife, kill yourself to prove your point.
Pool of Radiance: Disguise yourselves as monsters and take part in an auciton.
The Dark Heart of Uukrul: Try make a map of the last level
Ultima IV: Realise that you've gotta lose a battle with animals because a Compassionate Avatar does not slay dumb creatures, but neither does the Valorous Avatar run from battle.
Ultima Underworld: Learn the Lizardman's language
Ultima VII: Cast Armageddon.
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines: Play Malkavian and Nosfe

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Some of the best so far:

Arcanum: Wander around not knowing what to do until you decide to ask a passing NPC for directions or read a newspaper.
Arx Fatalis: Ensure an audience with the stubborn goblin king.
Baldur's Gate 1: Kill Drizzt Do'Urden.
Baldur's Gate 2: Obtain Carsomyr, Croem Faeyr and those great items.
Bard's Tale: Fight 4x99 Berserkers.
Chaos Strikes Back: Start in darkness, flanked by two purple worms and try to keep your cool.
Curse of the Azure Bonds: Fight the Mulmaster Beholder Corps.
Daggerfall: Create unique characters bending the game's rules and venture into massive, twisted dungeons without ever knowing if you'll find the way out again.
Dark Souls: You died.
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands: Escape the arena - anyway you can.
Darklands: Sleep in a village, find out that they are all devil worshippers.
Deus Ex: Enter the women's restroom.
Escape from Hell: Recruit Hitler into your party by presenting him with your copy of Mein Kampf.
Fallout 1: Explore The Glow.
Fallout New Vegas: Take Mr. House off life support.
Gothic 1: Refuse to pay protection money to the Old camp guards.
Might & Magic VI: Side with evil, follow an entirely different storyline and transform you mage into a Lich!
Morrowind: Find Caius Cossades.
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer: Devour the soul of a dead god.
Oblivion: Uninstall.
Planescape: Torment: During a debate about afterlife, kill yourself to prove your point.
Pool of Radiance: Disguise yourselves as monsters and take part in an auciton.
The Dark Heart of Uukrul: Try make a map of the last level
Ultima IV: Realise that you've gotta lose a battle with animals because a Compassionate Avatar does not slay dumb creatures, but neither does the Valorous Avatar run from battle.
Ultima Underworld: Learn the Lizardman's language
Ultima VII: Cast Armageddon.
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines: Play Malkavian and Nosfe
Just by listing these makes me remember how awesome these older games are.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Arcanum - there are tons of things but many have been already mentioned so I'll go with breaking down doors/containers. For some reason in other games they're made from some super material, nothing can destroy them. Besides Siamese Twins, the way you could deal with Gilbert was awesome, searching for the dwarves was awesome (e.g. getting Kathorn crystal), Island of Despair was awesome... Whole game is superb and is a real gem. Also, without Arcanum there wouldn't be this thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/arcanum-modesty-mod.70721/

Fallout 1 - too many things to name but again, to not repeat the obvious ones I will go with ask about button. You could learn some interesting things that way, first time I did that and it worked I was blown away. Developers don't do that any more because not many people were smart enough to use it and notice hidden content. Meeting Master is another such moment and the ending of course (the absolute best is The Glow but that goes without saying). And being killed by a submachine gun/plasma gun/flamethrower for the first time. And...

Vampire the Masquarade Bloodlines
- I remember how hard I laughed when I saw some guy scratching his balls. Totally redundant thing but added a bit of realism in a hilarious way. There are way better things in Bloodlines of course but listing all the great quests would take too much time

Age of Decadence - another game where every quest is a true gem. If I had to choose the most memorable moment I would go with the last Assassin mission in Teron (most epic assassination in any game ever). Besides that, refusing "invitation" made by Gaelius (basically emperor, the most powerful man in the world) and telling the guards to GTFO

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Megatraveller 2: Create a character and realize you can advance his military career while still in character creation. Continue to do so until he retires as a high-ranking general and realize you've played the character without even leaving the character screen! :oops:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Fallout 1 - Visit Brotherhood and gain entry into their HQ for the first time. My mind was blown. Have a conversation with Master. Mind was blown.

Fallout 2 - Become a made man. Get a car and ride it across the waste. Kill the mother fucking president of the mother fucking united states.

Gothic 1 - Transform into a bug. Learn how to hold onehanded sword with one hand.

Gothic 2 - Harvest turnips. Kill a dragon.

Vampire Bloodlines - Have a conversation with a stop sign. Explore Shining-like abandoned hotel.

Witcher 1 - Shag a dryad. Shag a water nymph. Shag a princess. Have a party. Defeat a king at dice poker.

Witcher 2 - Get a drunk tatoo. Lift a huge curse. Kill a king. Or not. Kill a dragon. Or not. Kill your antagonist. Or have a drink with him.

Witcher 3 - Bury undead daughter of a local baron to lift her curse. Star in a metropolitan theatre play. Investigate countless crimes and lift curses. Become Bill Murray in Broken Flowers. Kill a higher vampire. Participate in a village girl's wedding while possesed by a ghost accompanied by an old flame. Participate in a knight tournament. Retrieve a gift for an old man whose wife suffers from Alzheimer. I could go on, this series (and this game in particular) is packed to gills with memorable, meaningful stories.

Murk

Arcane
Oh god, forgot one of my go-tos.

Gothic 2: Sneak into old camp in valley of mines yatta yatta, then, drink speed potion and prepare a fire rain scroll -- run around in circles and gather half the horde of orcs, cast fire rain, ding up 10 levels.

...realize that war can't exist in a setting with magic because a single autist with 2 magic items can basically annihilate an entire army.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic 2: Sneak into old camp in valley of mines yatta yatta, then, drink speed potion and prepare a fire rain scroll -- run around in circles and gather half the horde of orcs, cast fire rain, ding up 10 levels.

...realize that war can't exist in a setting with magic because a single autist with 2 magic items can basically annihilate an entire army.
whaaaaa

you can do thaat? that's just awesome.

Murk

Arcane
I do it 2-3 times to make sure I wipe them all. If you want to loot their corpses it's a bit slower, as when killing too many some corpses despawn and so you can't take their inventory (still get the weapon and XP tho.)

It often makes some parts of that zone trivial, as you can do that the first time you visit, and get a huge boost in power.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Ultima VII
Get out of Trinsic and just start exploring. Find the magic carpet. Or just go to some random town and realize that every single NPC has a name, individual portrait, job, schedule, and even personality.
Fool around in Trinsic and find your way to the cheat room, get a bunch of magic equipment, and just go on a rampage in Britain.

Fallout
Get a couple hours into the game and have your mind blown at how the game reacts to your choices and even the kind of character you made, how it seems that any quest you run into has several solutions.

Pool of Radiance
Resist the temptation to edit your characters to max attributes. Sit there and reroll for each character until you get a set of attributes that are good enough and just go with it. You will get to know those characters and their strengths and weaknesses like they are your friends.

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout1's Ask About is a great feature and well worth remembering. Pity it break the 4th wall so easily~

Vampire Bloodlines: Do a vamp's biddings in return for a few sappy poems and emails. To this day STILL refuse to believe that we are a chump in VV's hand. Just Putty~ It's a classical example of how to design message and dialog and coupled it with some great character designs and you can achieve unexpected results.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
MotB: Get saddled with a legendary curse that's killed everyone else its afflicted, and show the world it isn't the worst thing that could happen you, its the worst thing that could happen to the world.

Deus Ex: Realize that lebedev can live.

Morrowwind: Boots of blinding speed + resist magic + levitation + crossbow, show cliff racers who is the true flying terror that stalks the lands.

Dark Souls: Descending the great hollow and stepping onto Ash Lake.

EYE: Complete the game three times on the promise that the true(TM) ending will explain everything(or indeed, anything), only to be left with more vague questions than ever.

PS:T Convince a living embodiment of justice that justice is as flawed as the criminals he hunt.

Fallout: Dispose of Jain quest. Decker tells you there can't be any witnesses - when you enter the church you see a little kid selling flowers and your heart drops. However, you learn that if you're mean to the child they will run away, letting you complete the quest without being a child killer.

baturinsky

Arcane
EYE: Complete the game three times on the promise that the true(TM) ending will explain everything(or indeed, anything), only to be left with more vague questions than ever.
Not an RPG example, but it's probably the most heart-warming moment in the games for me ever
Max_Payne_2_-_1.jpg

Too bad it's not canon

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom