Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you play a new infinity style RPG?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Jaesun said:
hoverdog said:
Obviously.

If it was turn-based, in addition to infinity engine-like view, has character stats, stat based skills, classless system, I'd come buckets.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Why not.
Pure top down (with the view on top of character's heads) not very pretty, though. Better make it like this.
fxERs.jpg

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Seeing as we got Dragon Age the last time somebody said they were going to do a game inspired by Baldurs Gate, nope.

Nope.

Shemar

Educated
First on the 'view' issue. As many have said, top down is looking directly below. What you mean (and what Infinity, NWN2/DA:O zoomed way out use) is a 3/4 view (called so because of the ratio of horizontal to vertical distance from the viewer to the target) also mistakenly often called isometric (even though an actual isometric view is a competely different thing). In most cases a top down or 3/4 view is also isometric if it is using a 2D engine and perpective (which is kind of the opposite to isometric) if it is using a 3D engine.

Having said all that, I would most likely not play a game similar to the infinity engine with indie level production values. I would however likely play (and pay for) a game that used the same type of view but a turn based combat system.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
baronjohn said:
Topdown was used when computers were too slow for 3D. These days computers are fast enough to render dozens of 3D polygons per second so if some lazy dev made a topdown game I wouldn't play it.
Dozens? Per second? Holy shit. :o

Shemar

Educated
non said:
baronjohn said:
Topdown was used when computers were too slow for 3D. These days computers are fast enough to render dozens of 3D polygons per second so if some lazy dev made a topdown game I wouldn't play it.
Dozens? Per second? Holy shit. :o
Hahahaha! Good catch. I actually stopped reading at "Topdown was used when computers were too slow for 3D".

larpingdude18

Educated
Jaesun said:
For one thing, this is the fucking Prestigious RPG Codex™. We don't fucking care what perspective your game is in. This is what we care about:

1. Game is on the PC

uhm no. speak for yourself.

larpingdude18

Educated

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:
larpingdude17 said:
Jaesun said:
For one thing, this is the fucking Prestigious RPG Codex™. We don't fucking care what perspective your game is in. This is what we care about:

1. Game is on the PC

uhm no. speak for yourself.

Uhm, No. You can shut the fuck up faggot.

Jaesun bro, I used exactly the same mantra to rage against the proliferation of console crap on the Codex a few days ago. Rather than be praised, I was instead critiqued by an army of consoletards.

Be watchful, there are more of these degenerates here than at the console only forums on the internets!

:salute:

Linkamus

Educated
Lockkaliber said:
Seeing as we got Dragon Age the last time somebody said they were going to do a game inspired by Baldurs Gate, nope.

Nope.

Okay... But what if someone actually was inspired and wasn't just saying that to make money?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
larpingdude17 said:
times have changed, gramps
there are a lot more jrpg fans here than u realize.

u? Hey, sonny Jim, why don't you shuffle on over to Destructoid or even (ironically enough) GoG forms where 75% of the people there are console/iphone gamers~

:rpgcodex:

That explains it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
larpingdude17 said:
lol @ the newfags crying like little babies :lol:

Oh? Looks like I have you beat by a year. Not that it matters. At 18 you're a 'new fag' at life -- you were brought up in the age of consoles so I don't blame you for having awful tastes in RPGs. :M

larpingdude18

Educated
STFU :roll:

i've played many of the old classics (Fallout, Phantasy Star 1-4, Ultima I, Breath of Fire 1-4, Chrono Triger, Super Mario RPG, Anvil of Dawn, Dragon Quest 1-7, Final Fantasy I-IX etc.)

First on the 'view' issue. As many have said, top down is looking directly below.
First, there's no very strict definitions of what top down is in a videogame. Second, this debate is idiotic and worthy of gamefaqs, as you all understood damn well what he meant. Third, isometric could also be considered to be a form of top-down view.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Fowyr said:
Why not.
Pure top down (with the view on top of character's heads) not very pretty, though. Better make it like this.
fxERs.jpg

No, make it look like this (but higher resolution):

Buck%20Rogers%20-%20Countdown%20to%20Doomsday_5.png

Shemar

Educated
herostratus said:
First on the 'view' issue. As many have said, top down is looking directly below.
First, there's no very strict definitions of what top down is in a videogame. Second, this debate is idiotic and worthy of gamefaqs, as you all understood damn well what he meant. Third, isometric could also be considered to be a form of top-down view.

Excuse me. I did not realize that "random people who play video games, have heard a few words and use them incorrectly" was now official video game terminology.

Second, while people not knowing exactly what a term means is understandable, reacting to being corrected by requesting that they should have been left ignorant, then proceeding to use terms like "gamefags" (yes I am aware many of the uneducated, uncultured, classless denizens of this plase are fond of such terms, but it's ok, somebody has to flip those burgers) is enough to know ones 'opinions' are pretty worthless.

Third, I have to admire your sheer determination at remaining ignorant and flawnting your ignorance with pride. So let me offer you some more education that will no doubt go unused (but may be of benefit to someone with the skills and capacity to work in a game and would prefer to use terms correctly on the subjects they speak of). "Isometric" has absolutely nothing to do with where the camera is. Yes, isometric can be top down, it can also be 3/4 (what you actually meant when you icorrectly used the term isometric), it can be first person, third person, it can be a camera looking out the character's ass backwards and still be isometric. Because isometric is a method or projection not a camera view and it means that objects do not get smaller with distance (in contrast with the real world where objects get smaller the further away they are which is called perspective).

Why do we say that games like the Infinity engine games had "isometric" view? Well for starters they did. However what their view was really called was 3/4 isometric, but because most people are ignorant about what isometreic really means (do you have a mirror close by? take a look!) they tend to forget about the 3/4 part (which ironically is a much stronger characteristic of the specific view than the isometric part) and just say isometric. The reason BG's view was isometric is not because the camera was up and to the side looking downwards at an angle (that's the 3/4 part), it is because characters and buildings and all screen objects looked the same distance from the viewer regardless of whether they were close or far (almost a necessity back then when the graphics engines were 2D). In contrast games like NWN2 and DA:O that when zoomed all the way out have a view similar to BG, do not have an isometric view because they use true 3D engines so objects do get smaller the further away they are (that effect is most obvious in areas with high elevation). They have 3/4 perspective view.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom