Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you play a new infinity style RPG?

Linkamus

Educated
EDIT: I'm sorry my terminology was wrong. When I say "top down view" here I am more referring to a Titan Quest/Baldur's Gate/Diablo Camera Angle. Not actual super old school top down view. Sorry for the confusion. My bad!

If a new RPG was released that was top down view, and highly influenced by the older infinity engine games, specifically Baldur's Gate, would most of you be excited? Even if it was 2D?

I know this question seems random, but it's something i need to know.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
hoverdog said:
Obviously.

If it was turn-based, in addition to infinity engine-like view, has character stats, stat based skills, classless system, I'd come buckets.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
What a weird question. That´s like asking the cookie monster if he would like some extra delicious cookies.

Linkamus

Educated
Jaesun said:
Define "Top Down View"?

As in - The entirety of the gameplay, you would be looking down from above, similar to infinity engine games. Diablo, Titan Quest etc.

Linkamus

Educated
Okay I just Wiki'd it. I guess infinity would be considered pseudo-3D ? If so. That is what I meant, not top down view :).

So I guess back to my orignal question, I'm imagining full 3d with a fixed camera angle from above (like titan quest), or possibly a pseudo-3d look similar to BG.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
For one thing, this is the fucking Prestigious RPG Codex™. We don't fucking care what perspective your game is in. This is what we care about:

1. Game is on the PC
2. Character Stats
3. Skills based off of character stats
4. Combat that relies solely on skills and character stats
5. Meaningful (and story effecting) Choice and Consequences
6. An interesting and compelling story and setting

I could list more, but these are some simple basics. You do all of the above and I don't care if you even put it in the fucking Ultima IV engine. I would be buying it.

This also is not really RPG Game related and is more a Workshop discussion.

Captain Shrek

Jaesun said:
For one thing, this is the fucking Prestigious RPG Codex™. We don't fucking care what perspective your game is in. This is what we care about:

1. Game is on the PC
2. Character Stats
3. Skills based off of character stats
4. Combat that relies solely on skills and character stats
5. Meaningful (and story effecting) Choice and Consequences
6. An interesting and compelling story and setting

I could list more, but these are some simple basics. You do all of the above and I don't care if you even put it in the fucking Ultima IV engine. I would be buying it.

This also is not really RPG Game related and is more a Workshop discussion.

Hear hear!

:thumbsup:

I was going to say the same thing except for they instead of we. I somehow still feel like an outsider.

baronjohn

Cipher
Topdown was used when computers were too slow for 3D. These days computers are fast enough to render dozens of 3D polygons per second so if some lazy dev made a topdown game I wouldn't play it.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Linkamus said:
So I guess back to my orignal question, I'm imagining full 3d with a fixed camera angle from above (like titan quest), or possibly a pseudo-3d look similar to BG.

If it's any good, of course. It needs to be released before Thursday though :P otherwise AoD, Dead State, The Broken Hourglass etc. will steal its thunder.

Andhaira

Arcane
There is nothing wrong with having a game on a console Jaesun, as long as the game's quality does not suffer. The only thing likely to suffer due to a console port are the graphics. But we don't care about graphics here at the dex do we Jaesun?

Are you a graphics whore Jaesun?

Antediluvian

Educated
Isometric view should die a gruesome death. 1st and 3rd person cameras are way more fitting for immersion-based story-oriented games and top down view (the real one from Gold Box/Wasteland/pre-VI Ultimas) is more convenient for combat-oriented titles. Isometric camera is certainly lacking in terms of creating atmosphere in the first case and acts like a pointless gimmick in second
Now, I do acknowledge that it's the best option for creating a really pretty game with fancy art design (just look at gorgeous ToEE) but 3d graphics aren't fuck ugly anymore so it's time to move on......Ah, fuck it, who am I kidding, indie devs don't have the money to buy proper engines (if there are any to buy) or a skilled team for making the new one and mainstream assholes are assholes who tend to turn even the most promising setting into banal/shit/boring. So since we're stuck with isometric indies...hell, why not

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Top down is where you mainly see head and shoulders like

gauntlet.gif

Kinda restrictive. I'm not a big fan.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
If it plays like Fallout or ToEE then yes.

Antediluvian said:
Isometric view should die a gruesome death. 1st and 3rd person cameras are way more fitting for immersion-based story-oriented games and top down view (the real one from Gold Box/Wasteland/pre-VI Ultimas) is more convenient for combat-oriented titles. Isometric camera is certainly lacking in terms of creating atmosphere in the first case and acts like a pointless gimmick in second
Now, I do acknowledge that it's the best option for creating a really pretty game with fancy art design (just look at gorgeous ToEE) but 3d graphics aren't fuck ugly anymore so it's time to move on......Ah, fuck it, who am I kidding, indie devs don't have the money to buy proper engines (if there are any to buy) or a skilled team for making the new one and mainstream assholes are assholes who tend to turn even the most promising setting into banal/shit/boring. So since we're stuck with isometric indies...hell, why not
Sup Drog :smug: .

Linkamus

Educated
I know it seemed like a silly question, but I just needed to hear/see the answer.

Even though I was 99% sure what the answer would be.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Why the fuck is there such a hang up on the games perspective? If the perspective works for the game, then use it! FFS, Final Fantasy Tactics uses iso-metric view and that game is fucking amazing. CoD uses FPP yet it's a shit series run by that fucking cunt Bobby.

You need the correct controls and the correct perspective for a particular game style.

Game Perspective != Quality game.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Sure I would play!

Does it have BROmance options?

No, srsly, a turn-based top-down RPG would be as good now as 10 years ago, and as in 10 years...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom