Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would anyone be interested in a KoDP-like game?

jiduthie

Educated
zenbitz said:
I really like the USGS maps. Even if you fake them (rotate, distort) for some fantasy earth it will be cool.

Thanks! I thought they were a neat find too, if the setting is the United States it would make perfect sense for the survivors to use something like that. Speaking of which: I've been putting off the decision as to how "fantasy" versus how "plausible" the setting should be. I've got a folder right now that separates the two kinds of events, and I admit I'm kind of on the fence about it. The amount of abstraction necessary means that it won't ever be really heavy on the realism, but at the same time I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable making a completely wacky game. How does everyone here feel about that sort of thing? Realistic or more fantastic? Does it even really matter as long as the setting is cohesive enough?

zenbitz said:
So... there is an OLD OLD school board game made by a wargame company SPI back in the 70s called "After the Holocaust"

It was a torture to play with PnP (they had 1040 forms!) but it had a very very well done economic simulator (much better than crap civ games).

I have a copy, and I have been thinking about turning it into a computer game for years (just busy with other projects)... if you are interested, send me a PM, and we can rip the mechanics off.

I just looked it up on Boardgamegeek.com, and it looks wild. But I think maybe a little more "grand strategy" than KoDP though, no?

Karmapowered said:
What this fine gentleman said above, +1.

Jiduthie, consider yourself as stalked... I mean, this page added to the list of worthwhile threads to be followed on the Kodex.

Thanks everyone for the kind words! Give me a week and I'll get a blog up somewhere where you can stalk to your hearts content.

zenbitz

Scholar
The scale of ATH is rebuilding the whole US after a holocaust. There are 4 players (West / South / Midwest / East) so yes it's bigger.

But I don't think the scale makes much difference to the mechanics.

tindrli

Arcane
heh, sarcasm? Either way I'm still plugging away at it. I've just laid the groundwork for the "customs" system which is an expression of how the population feels about certain things like the military and technology. This will eventually have a large impact on the types of events that pop up, how the population reacts to your decisions, and will also have some effect on the effectiveness of your village in certain areas. For instance, a particularly technophobic society will have difficulty doing research and won't be too happy if you start digging up old gizmos. You'll be able to influence these feelings to an extent through your "lawgiver" official but events will have an impact as well.

sorry i didnt saw your response till now.. and i wasnt sarcastic at ALL!!! truly love the game and have it installed all the time.. btw i never saw such balanced randomness as in KoDP.!!!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!! and if need any help feel free to count me in

zenbitz

Scholar
jiduthie - I tell you what. You dig up a copy of SPI's After the Holocaust and let me know.

jiduthie

Educated
I've been procrastinating so far as a blog/forum is concerned(I'll get it done eventually), but I've nonetheless been working on the game. The latest interesting changes have been dealing with the military. Attacking and defensive events still aren't in yet, but I'm working on the fundamentals. In KoDP the defensive set up consisted of an "Inner" and "Outer" circle of weaponthanes which provided the lookout and determined the readiness of your clan to intrusions. The problem with this solution was that there was very little feedback. How many weaponthanes in either the 'inner' or 'outer'r area provided adequate lookout? Is that number absolute or does it depend on the size of my clan? Why are raids on my settlement regularly successful when I've done everything in my power to prevent them?

I really like the idea in KoDP that events are beyond your immediate control, but I dislike the amount of feedback you get for your decisions. Determining whether or not that last successful opposition raid was a result of bad luck or bad management was never really clear. So in my game warriors are completely disconnected from the "patrolling" tasks that they are assigned in KoDP. Completely different classes of person will be responsible for patrolling the outer(rangers) and inner(townwatch) spheres, and your advisors will give you some idea if their current numbers are sufficient. Resources are the limiting factor in your decisions, not lack of feedback.When you lose a battle where you outnumber the enemy, I want you to have some idea why.

empi

Augur
Sounds promising, KoDP was a pretty unique game and I would love to see more influenced by it.

Keep working, bro :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom