Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Worthplaying previews Oblivion

Anoik

Novice
M'Aiq the Dragon said:
Yes you're right you can't lock the gates of Oblivion with the amulet. But it is needed for locking the jaws right? Ah nevermind, it's somewhat irrelevant to the discussion. :wink:
What is relevant is whether it will be able to store Patrick Stewart's voice. And whether you should be able to hear him. You're not the heir, so you might not be able to hear him according to the lore or something. That might be relavant too. :?
Yes, you're right too. It's irrelevant to the discussion, but i think that don't work us a link with the dead emperor, and you can't hear him.

Maybe Stewart will only give his voice to the intro sequence, to the dungeon section and for some narratives in the main quest.

franc kaos

Liturgist
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Hm, I've put a lot of input into how my systems (combat & magic) were designed, from gameplay and game systems standpoints as well as technical. I've suggested unrelated features that have ended up in the game, as well. We're all encouraged to provide input. So I'm not going to claim that I'm programming solely from requirements --
[Other stuff]

Hm, so in the meeting where it was agreed that a staff should become a giant blocking wand, your input was... what?
1) That's just stupid
2) A staff is the classical weapon of a mage (as well as a one (1) handed sword)
3) Let's drop staves (like we did with the Xbow and throwing things)
4) You were ill that day and missed the meeting
5) Your dog chewed up your homework (where you'd managed to crack the various hitting implementations of a staff - a swing, a crunch, a swipe, a dig...)
6) Your porsche had just been delivered and you were given a choice; take Todd out for a 'ride' or work on staves/spears/Xbows/throwing stars.

Even Fable had staves that clubbed, and crossbows as well as bows.

Anoik

Novice
franc kaos said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Hm, I've put a lot of input into how my systems (combat & magic) were designed, from gameplay and game systems standpoints as well as technical. I've suggested unrelated features that have ended up in the game, as well. We're all encouraged to provide input. So I'm not going to claim that I'm programming solely from requirements --
[Other stuff]

Hm, so in the meeting where it was agreed that a staff should become a giant blocking wand, your input was... what?
1) That's just stupid
2) A staff is the classical weapon of a mage (as well as a one (1) handed sword)
3) Let's drop staves (like we did with the Xbow and throwing things)
4) You were ill that day and missed the meeting
5) Your dog chewed up your homework (where you'd managed to crack the various hitting implementations of a staff - a swing, a crunch, a swipe, a dig...)
6) Your porsche had just been delivered and you were given a choice; take Todd out for a 'ride' or work on staves/spears/Xbows/throwing stars.

Even Fable had staves that clubbed, and crossbows as well as bows.
But in Fable you have only two choices, attack or block (with melee weapons..). You can only attack and block in melee with staves, and fire with the crossbows and bows.

In Oblivion, you can attack in melee, do power attacks, block and cast magic (like in Fable), but you can't fire spells from your weapons and attack in melee at the same time.

If you want a weapon that you can use in melee, block with it and use like a wand (and at the same time cast magic with your hands), you have to a) add another key to cast the magic of the staff or b) add a key to choice between melee or magic.

If they want to balance the classes, and they don't want to give a powerfull staff with melee damage and magical attacks to a warrior, for example, they can add normal staves, with only melee attacks and a good damage, and magical staves (and a way to choice between melee and magic), with a poor melee damage and a good magic power.

Remenber one thing. Now, you can't enchant weapons with "cast on use" magic, they can only be "cast on strike". Only staves are "cast on use" now, but you can't enchant staves, they are all enchanted in the game. So, if you want to enchant a normal staff, you can only make it "cast on strike" and not "cast on use".

Of course, if you only add ranged magical staves, you don't have to do more animations for the melee attacks.

franc kaos

Liturgist
Anoik said:
But in Fable you have only two choices, attack or block (with melee weapons..). You can only attack and block in melee with staves, and fire with the crossbows and bows.

In Oblivion, you can attack in melee, do power attacks, block and cast magic (like in Fable), but you can't fire spells from your weapons and attack in melee at the same time.

In Oblivion you cannot attack in melee with a staff (only swords and axe and hammer). I only used Fable because there seems to be a general agreement that it's a crap RPG. So, if Lionhead can manage to incoporate staves (that in reality were fairly useless), how come Beth couldn't. Would the development of a stick really cost so much development time?

Anoik said:
If you want a weapon that you can use in melee, block with it and use like a wand (and at the same time cast magic with your hands), you have to a) add another key to cast the magic of the staff or b) add a key to choice between melee or magic.

Or create two weapon types, a staff and a wand.

Anoik said:
If they want to balance the classes, and they don't want to give a powerfull staff with melee damage and magical attacks to a warrior, for example, they can add normal staves, with only melee attacks and a good damage, and magical staves (and a way to choice between melee and magic), with a poor melee damage and a good magic power.

I see no evidence of balancing, I see wholesale removal of weapons. Probably when they saw the stink being raised about Xbows and stars, they simply changed tack with information release about staves and (so far as I know), simply refused to comment on spears.

Anoik said:
Remenber one thing. Now, you can't enchant weapons with "cast on use" magic, they can only be "cast on strike". Only staves are "cast on use" now, but you can't enchant staves, they are all enchanted in the game. So, if you want to enchant a normal staff, you can only make it "cast on strike" and not "cast on use".

There are no normal staves, only magical ones.

Anoik said:
Of course, if you only add ranged magical staves, you don't have to do more animations for the melee attacks.

And, I think, there is the bottom line...

Anoik

Novice
franc kaos said:
Anoik said:

In Oblivion you cannot attack in melee with a staff (only swords and axe and hammer). I only used Fable because there seems to be a general agreement that it's a crap RPG. So, if Lionhead can manage to incoporate staves (that in reality were fairly useless), how come Beth couldn't. Would the development of a stick really cost so much development time?

I know there are not staves in Oblivion, i am talking about why they have not added staves to the game.

franc kaos said:
Anoik said:

Or create two weapon types, a staff and a wand.
I have said that in my post. Have you read all?

franc kaos said:
Anoik said:

I see no evidence of balancing, I see wholesale removal of weapons. Probably when they saw the stink being raised about Xbows and stars, they simply changed tack with information release about staves and (so far as I know), simply refused to comment on spears.
In that quote i am not saying that there is balance in the game. I am talking about how to add balance to staves.

franc kaos said:
Anoik said:

There are no normal staves, only magical ones.
Mmmm, maybe my english is very bad (i know it is very bad), but, again, i know that there are not normal staves. I am talking about why you can't enchant a melee staff if they add a melee staff with your own "cast on use" enchant. Because you can't enchant normal weapons with a "cast on use" enchant, you can only enchant weapons with "cast on strike".

Anoik

Novice
No problem :wink:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom