Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Worthplaying previews Oblivion

Balor

Arcane
Ok, you but you leap to defence of Oblivion every time it is mentioned...
Heck, you even came here for that!
You may not be a fanboy in the strictest sense, so to speak, but according to defintion in that page, you sure do :).
You would not be here otherwise. Am I right or what?

Tintin

Arbiter
Balor said:
Ok, you but you leap to defence of Oblivion every time it is mentioned...
Heck, you even came here for that!
You may not be a fanboy in the strictest sense, so to speak, but according to defintion in that page, you sure do :).
You would not be here otherwise. Am I right or what?

Okay, maybe I do, but then again some people here leap to insult Oblivion at every chance. I'm just balancing. If there was a discussion going on discussing Bethesda without going 'SOIL EROZION" sarcastically all the time I would not be so inclined to defend it.

Twinfalls

Erudite
pseudo intellectual said:
This is the problem with the industry now, you get people designing and making games that aren't expert in their implementation. I know he's a programmer, not a designer, but still this implies a disconnect.

pseudo intellectual said:
I think if you review my comments you'll find that I've never taken you to task for your abilities or performance.

BULLSHIT!

Twinfalls

Erudite
Tintin said:
I'm just balancing.

So you admit your motive is NOT to say what you actually think, but simply to 'defend' Oblivion. That makes you a fanboy, Tintin. Also, given that you KNOW this site is the only place on the net where people who like old-school RPGs can vent their feelings about the way big-name games have gone, it makes you a troll.

Tintin

Arbiter
Twinfalls said:
Tintin said:
I'm just balancing.

So you admit your motive is NOT to say what you actually think, but simply to 'defend' Oblivion. That makes you a fanboy, Tintin. Also, given that you KNOW this site is the only place on the net where people who like old-school RPGs can vent their feelings about the way big-name games have gone, it makes you a troll.

I think you should try to read. I said the only reason it may seem as if I jump to defend Oblivion at every chance is just because it's a natural reaction to balance the other people who jump to insult it. I've already said what I think. Hell, you may even go back and find one of "RARE!" criticism of Bethesda (RARE!!)!!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Stewart was a knight in Excalibur back in 1981. He's also done a ton of Shakespeare, in movies, TV and live, among other period pieces such as The Lion In Winter. He's done a lot more besides geek stuff like Star Trek, Dune and X-Men. He's also done quite a bit of voice acting, in animation as well as video games. I think his talents and experience make him a natural fit for medieval fantasy.

He was the manager of the fancy restaurant in L.A. Story.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
He's the voice of the emperor in Oblivion - a fantastic awe-inspiring performance. Some say it's his best work ever.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I heard that he has the powah to turn even the lamest "laughably trite" lines into deep, almost philosophical monologues, which may explain why Bethesda hired him - the original writing was THAT bad.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I believe they are not complaining about the voice acting, but the fact that Bethesda apparently used his talent to cover up the "triteness" of the intro.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
It's funny how you discredit nearly everything in the preview, and yet you fully accept the impression that they might think the dialogue is trite.

ExMonk

Scholar
Twinfalls said:
Tintin said:
I'm just balancing.

Also, given that you KNOW this site is the only place on the net where people who like old-school RPGs can vent their feelings about the way big-name games have gone, it makes you a troll.

Ah. This one statement has done more to help me understand the attitudes of people on the codex, than anything else I've read. Thank you.

Just a little info:

Off course it's wild speculation, but...
I've heard theories that suggest he's going to get more then the five minutes of voice acting. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is something I don't know.

In the beginning of the game you get the Amulet of Kings with which you are to lock the marble jaws of oblivion. This Amulet created by Tiber Septim stores up the souls(?) of the the former bearer or something. I don't know the exact lore, I'm currently searching the Imperial library for information on it.

This means Patrick Stewart might get the narrator role that Azura had in Morrowind.

Anoik

Novice
M'Aiq the Dragon said:
In the beginning of the game you get the Amulet of Kings with which you are to lock the marble jaws of oblivion. This Amulet created by Tiber Septim stores up the souls(?) of the the former bearer or something. I don't know the exact lore, I'm currently searching the Imperial library for information on it.
You can't lock the jaws with the amulet, is the heir who can do that. Your mission is search for the lost heir and help him lock the doors.

Anoik said:
M'Aiq the Dragon said:
You can't lock the jaws with the amulet, is the heir who can do that. Your mission is search for the lost heir and help him lock the doors.
Yes you're right you can't lock the gates of Oblivion with the amulet. But it is needed for locking the jaws right? Ah nevermind, it's somewhat irrelevant to the discussion. :wink:
What is relevant is whether it will be able to store Patrick Stewart's voice. And whether you should be able to hear him. You're not the heir, so you might not be able to hear him according to the lore or something. That might be relavant too. :?

Shadow Aspect

Novice
As long as it's not like Fable's Guild Seal, through which the Guildmaster spoke to you.
"You have a new quest card!"
"Try to get your combat multiplier even higher!"
:x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom