Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Tanks: looks face-meltingly awesome

MetalCraze said:
WW2 setting should die

I think it's ratings should finally drop soon after WW3.

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
Mangoose said:
Zinc said:
Sounds awful to me. I wish someone would create a realistic battlefield MMO, including infantry, artillery, air support - everything. Something akin to Battlefield 1942 or Battlefield 2, but massively online - with proper ranks, customizables etc. Like Planetside, but without the shitty gameplay and ridiculous setting. I believe it has been tried before, but they screwed it up. If it could be pulled off successfully, it would be incredible.
WW2 online?

Yeah, that's the one. Like that, but better.

Black

Arcane
I prefer my superior tanks.

battlecity1a_2.png

Korgan

Arbiter
FUCK YEAH FUCK YEAH FUCK YEAH I GOT THE DAMN INVITE AT LAST!!!111
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Should've got the client in advance. Well, it's just an hour's download on 2Mb anyway.
I think I'll go for a KV. Soviet tanks seem to be easy mode, and Panzerwaffe is all about speed, accuracy and range.

Korgan

Arbiter
Yeah, it's good. 10 noob battles done, two frags. I have to grind through 8 or so more (about an hour) before I can afford a tank (instead of the first-level 20mm-armed tractor). It's a lot of fun, with driving around hull-down, ambushing, a bit of teamwork (SUM1 GO LEFT & SPOT ARTY, I SAID LEFT YOU FUCKS) and some realism (the damn tractor cannot into swamps. Or uphill.)
There aren't real RPG elements so far, you just unlock chassis and systems from a large tree with XP from the fighting, then install them for credits. XP is abundant, creds take some grinding.
Go sign up.

Erzherzog

Magister
Jesus, that's not a tank sim, that's a WW2 themed Twisted Metal.

Did every single tank in the gameplay trailer fire on the move?

Also,

Our main gun is damaged, we can't fire accurately

I rest my case.

Korgan

Arbiter
From what I've seen, light tanks reach 35-40 km/h on flat dry ground. It feels too fast, I agree. Firing on the move is inaccurate, but hey, ace crews could do it IRL. There's some autoaiming, but you have to enter "scope mode" and adjust your aim manually to pull off good shots.

Korgan

Arbiter
Korgan waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were artys in the base. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Cernel СМЕРШ were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway. Korgan was a light tank for fourteen battles. When he was young he watched the fighting and he said to dad "I want to be on the Tiger daddy."
Dad said "No! You will BE SHOT BY ARTYS"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the Prokhorovka base of the Wermacht he knew there were artys.
"This is СМЕРШ" the radio crackered. "You must fight the artys!"
So Korgan gotted his 45mm and drove through the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the artys.
"I will shoot at him" said the ISU and he fired the rocket missiles. Korgan shot at him and tried to blew him up. But then the connection fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the artys" he shouted
The radio said "No, Korgan. You are the artys".
And then Korgan was flowing in creds.

Destroid

Arcane
I'd love to play this but if the servers are in Russia for the beta I will have godawful ping :(

Korgan

Arbiter
Artillery is extremely powerful due to perfect modern fire control. You open the top-down sights, aim at a likely area and, as long as there's someone spotting for you, everything that stands still for 3 seconds and isn't a heavy tank goes boom. Hard to get those idiots to cover you, though.

Turbografx

Augur
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Shitty arcade game is shitty.

I love how all the trailers show tanks rolling along, firing on the move. Unfortunately, most (all?) WWII tanks didn'\t have stabilized guns so it would be impossible to hit anything.

overtenemy

Augur
What's the sense if having artillery if there's no infantry? I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certain artillery back then wasn't much of an anti-tank weapon. It wouldn't destroy a tank without a direct hit, and good luck getting one.

Also how does the gameplay work? Are there "instances" in which you have various objectives to take? One team defends another attacks? Does it affect a larger campaign map?

How gnarly are tigers? And how gnarly is the MAUS!?!

Korgan

Arbiter
overtenemy said:
What's the sense if having artillery if there's no infantry? I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certain artillery back then wasn't much of an anti-tank weapon. It wouldn't destroy a tank without a direct hit, and good luck getting one.
It has super accuracy now, about 3m scatter radius over a kilometer when fully aimed. No need for ranging yet.
Also how does the gameplay work? Are there "instances" in which you have various objectives to take? One team defends another attacks? Does it affect a larger campaign map?
No campaign implemented yet. Just one battle type, capture the enemy base, 15 players per team.
How gnarly are tigers? And how gnarly is the MAUS!?!
Tigers reportedly kick ass once you upgrade them with the 88. The Maus is statistically inferior to IS-7 (the player-controlled raid boss machine of doom), but more powerful then everything else. Not sure what its strong points are, I've only ever seen one.
The ISU-152 is the top-tier Soviet TD. Pretty killy, but there are more Ferdinands around (the German top tier) as they're better armored.

Destroid

Arcane
So does it follow some sort of artillery > heavy tanks > med/light > artillery triangle with tank destroyers somewhere in the middle? Or can you take out a heavy with a medium tank, even if the heavy driver isn't a complete retard.

Korgan

Arbiter
Yeah, if you're driving around fast. They simply can't turn the turret quickly enough. Will take time, though, especially with an IS. A 50-70mm gun can hardly penetrate even their rear turret.
Also, nice how some components cross over. E.g. the basic 70mm gun from my tier 3 howitzer can also be used to upgun the tier 3 light tank, which makes all the difference.

Korgan

Arbiter
Been grinding again, just got a T6 medium tank. It's pretty easy once you learn the maps, as the manboons are very predictable. Probably won't make it to Panther before the end of beta, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom