Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord remake now available on Early Access

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I might buy it in a humble bundle for a buck or something a few years down the line when it's out of EA. But I dunno. I really liked the Bard's Tale remasters so I know I'm at least capable of enjoying these ancient blobbers, providing they have a nice new coat of paint, just not too new so that it looks like it was drawn by a bunch of
weeaboo artists whose main hobby is drawing anime she-furries.

negator2vc

Scholar
29€ for a remake of Wizardry 1?!!!? Seriously!!!??
The old ports like the one for SNES are more than fine for this type of game.
Do this style of game is of interest to anyone beside people that played the original version?

If they wanted to do a remake why not do Wizardry 6 or 7?
That were actually more complete games and could use the modern upgrade.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I really hope nobody gets to remake W6 or W7 or we end up with another Wizardry Gold or even worse the Play Station remake

negator2vc

Scholar
I really hope nobody gets to remake W6 or W7 or we end up with another Wizardry Gold or even worse the Play Station remake
I was talking from the "company" perspective.

As a gamer and fan of the W6-W7 I agree. The only remakes I trust are those made by fans only.
Usually remaking just the game engine with a few UI improvements and maybe some walking dead fixes.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, you could play on android or some app to play android on pc for this game instead:

It is free more or less.

Or

Free but ads pay 492 JPY?? To get rid of them. WTF is JPY?
492 Japanese Yen equals
3.33 United States Dollar
Ok, still cheaper than $30+(be 49.99-79.99$ when done maybe yah?

Uh… what?
qGO6i9m.jpg

Good lord the anime…

Last edited:

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
As a gamer and fan of the W6-W7 I agree. The only remakes I trust are those made by fans only.
Usually remaking just the game engine with a few UI improvements and maybe some walking dead fixes.
The remakes of Wizardry 6/7 are called Grimoire and Mystic Lands (release next year).

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Should I get this one or Five Ordeals?
Five Ordeals is great value, especially with all the free campaigns available.

I even liked Labyrinth of Lost Souls. Even though that one is definitely a more casual experience (you keep stats after class changes). Also more anime.

Grimoire and Elminage are obviously the best around and can be had for about a dollar

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
For me, I just can't stand the anime art, this at least provides an alternative without the terrible weeboo/anime crap. I actually own and tried to play Elminage but the anime crap just turned me off from the game.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
For me, I just can't stand the anime art, this at least provides an alternative without the terrible weeboo/anime crap. I actually own and tried to play Elminage but the anime crap just turned me off from the game.

Elminage has a western artstyle though

3a6ab615653cbd951b686610b09592411ae409d7.jpg

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Never heard of this project nor of the studio but based on the trailer and the description this looks pretty good.

That the party walks super fast is a good example of the things which make me think they know what they're doing.

If they add something to skip animation altogether or if everything is fast enough, I might even buy and play it...

Let's wait and see, graphics aren't particularly good but it's better than the green monochromatic atrocity of the original.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

3a6ab615653cbd951b686610b09592411ae409d7.jpg

:roll:

8294AB204869A69ACE08B17798CF713FED9257EF

F94D252035817936F956C9CDD90981D6C285C8BC

Sorry but I just can't get into that kind of art for dungeon crawlers. Instant boner killer...

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Sorry but I just can't get into that kind of art for dungeon crawlers. Instant boner killer...

Well, these are clearly custom avatars someone loaded into the game, not something genuinely found in the game. So I gather you didn't even really play the game.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Should I get this one or Five Ordeals?
Five Ordeals is great value, especially with all the free campaigns available.

I even liked Labyrinth of Lost Souls. Even though that one is definitely a more casual experience (you keep stats after class changes). Also more anime.

Grimoire and Elminage are obviously the best around and can be had for about a dollar
Yeah, I bought it and I'm having a blast with it. Pure Wiz 1 with quality of life improvement to the UI and widescreen support. Love the artwork of the monsters as well. Aside from some bad translations here and there, there's nothing in this game that looks a bad anime port. even the basic portraits looks good.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Well, these are clearly custom avatars someone loaded into the game, not something genuinely found in the game. So I gather you didn't even really play the game.
Admittedly I went through the games community section as I could not remember what it was art wise I just did not like. Here is the actual images from the games store page:

ss_bd9aa1b6ab247b5ffb4a839dc590cdd3b6332179.jpg

ss_1cdabf1cab41a3e59f9d2ad2969ad755f9db1507.jpg

This is just too cartoony anime for me. It's too much of a turn-off for me.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
now you're just reaching, there's nothing anime about this, it is Western art through and through, even if some monsters are from Japanese folklore

Might and Magic 3-5 have more cartoony monsters and in general have a less serious art style than Elminage Gothic but nobody would call it anime

mondblut

Arcane
Admittedly I went through the games community section as I could not remember what it was art wise I just did not like. Here is the actual images from the games store page:

That's not too terrible. About as "anime" as Romance of 3 kingdoms. I haven't played Elminage, but Wizardry Empire (same devs and engine) was ok if you need that 1982 fix and want to spare your eyes an embarassment.

HP bloat on the bottom screen is absolutely disgusting tho'.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
It does kind kind of look anime because aside from the blonde girl in green they look like children - both the heroes and the monsters. Hard pass after all. Wouldn't touch this shit with your pole.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh yeah she wants you.
IMG_0273.jpeg

Bad Mr Frosty returns.

IMG_0274.jpeg

Here is the actual images from the games store page:

Reminds me of Phantasy Star III tbh.

giant.gif

1295369-ps3_battle.png

Don’t forget to fight Sari and her sex toy collection. That’s a lot of Hitachi product.

Last edited:

Sacibengala

Prophet
It does kind kind of look anime
they do look like children but not animelike at all. But it still looks better than this remake, though. I hate this arstyle and I still can't say why. It really does look cheap and mobile-like

Zeriel

Arcane
Just so you know I currently am playing through the DOS version on 300 cycles (via DOSBox Staging so thank you for that) just to prove you wrong (or right - dunno yet.) But it's still fucking Wizardry so I'm grinding up my guys on floor 1 currently. Will report back later.
Thanks for that :salute: I don't want to be right or wrong, I don't care; I just wanna know the answer. I'd be a bit sad if the DOS version was screwed, but it is what it is.
It's legit kinda hard to tell since it's Wizardry but so far the levelling does seem a bit bullshit compared to the Apple II version
BK440fa.png

The biggest thing I've noticed though is that hit-point increases are pitiful most of the time. It seems like I'm getting increases of 1 way more often than I'm supposed to. Will report back later

EDIT: I made a backup and here's the same guy getting levelled up. Seems a bit off to me still, but again look at the hit point increase. It's rubbish. And that's a fighter too:
Hq7IOsv.png

I'll see if raising the cycles does anything next

FURTHER EDIT:
Here's the same guy (that's Kyle, the 2nd Fighter) getting levelled up again only this time at 3000 cycles:
nnXKu0z.png

Doesn't seem to have made any difference. And keep in mind I'm reloading a backup. That's Kyle going from level 3-4 each time.

Conclusion: Seems a bit off. Fuck, I'm probably going to have to start up the Apple II version to compare. Wizardry's great but man, the early, EARLY game grinding really kinda blows.

I think the original explanation that it's just random 50% chance to gain, 45% chance to lose makes the most sense, and speed has nothing to do with it. Humans are pattern seeking machines, so we'll try to find patterns in RNG, especially when it's a coinflip this bias is too strong, there is no sense to be made there, it's just chance.

...Although, that being said, it's kind of weird that you're always losing like 3 stats and only gaining 1-2.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just so you know I currently am playing through the DOS version on 300 cycles (via DOSBox Staging so thank you for that) just to prove you wrong (or right - dunno yet.) But it's still fucking Wizardry so I'm grinding up my guys on floor 1 currently. Will report back later.
Thanks for that :salute: I don't want to be right or wrong, I don't care; I just wanna know the answer. I'd be a bit sad if the DOS version was screwed, but it is what it is.
It's legit kinda hard to tell since it's Wizardry but so far the levelling does seem a bit bullshit compared to the Apple II version
BK440fa.png

The biggest thing I've noticed though is that hit-point increases are pitiful most of the time. It seems like I'm getting increases of 1 way more often than I'm supposed to. Will report back later

EDIT: I made a backup and here's the same guy getting levelled up. Seems a bit off to me still, but again look at the hit point increase. It's rubbish. And that's a fighter too:
Hq7IOsv.png

FURTHER EDIT:
Here's the same guy (that's Kyle, the 2nd Fighter) getting levelled up again only this time at 3000 cycles:
nnXKu0z.png

Doesn't seem to have made any difference. And keep in mind I'm reloading a backup. That's Kyle going from level 3-4 each time.

Conclusion: Seems a bit off. Fuck, I'm probably going to have to start up the Apple II version to compare. Wizardry's great but man, the early, EARLY game grinding really kinda blows.

I think the original explanation that it's just random 50% chance to gain, 45% chance to lose makes the most sense, and speed has nothing to do with it. Humans are pattern seeking machines, so we'll try to find patterns in RNG, especially when it's a coinflip this bias is too strong, there is no sense to be made there, it's just chance.

...Although, that being said, it's kind of weird that you're always losing like 3 stats and only gaining 1-2.
Yeah, a sample size of 5, 10, or even 20 doesn't mean too much. We'd need data for at least 50 level ups to draw a definitive conclusion. There's also the question of distribution and variance.

Casual Hero

Augur
BK440fa.png

Hq7IOsv.png

FURTHER EDIT:
nnXKu0z.png

-First, there is a 75% chance your attribute will be modified.
-Then, if your age is lower than a random roll up to 130 (that is 0 to 129), then if your attribute is 18 you have an 83.3% chance nothing will happen, if your attribute is less than 18 then you lose 1 attribute point, if your Vitality drops to 2, you are dead.
-If your age is higher than the random roll mentioned in the previous line, then you gain 1 attribute point up to 18 maximum.

This is from the code from the original game that Snafaru went through.

Zeriel

Arcane
BK440fa.png

Hq7IOsv.png

FURTHER EDIT:
nnXKu0z.png

-First, there is a 75% chance your attribute will be modified.
-Then, if your age is lower than a random roll up to 130 (that is 0 to 129), then if your attribute is 18 you have an 83.3% chance nothing will happen, if your attribute is less than 18 then you lose 1 attribute point, if your Vitality drops to 2, you are dead.
-If your age is higher than the random roll mentioned in the previous line, then you gain 1 attribute point up to 18 maximum.

This is from the code from the original game that Snafaru went through.

That makes sense. So if you minmax attributes your only real option is to lose stats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom