Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord remake now available on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Digital Eclipse; Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (Digital Eclipse Remake)

https://www.digitaleclipse.com/media/wizardry-faq

Today the studio is thrilled to announce the availability of Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord -- a 3D re-imagining of the classic dungeon-crawler that launched the immortal Wizardry series of role-playing games. This is Digital Eclipse's first early-access game, and that bold step comes with a lot of questions, for both us and our players. Hopefully this FAQ will address most concerns, but by all means, let us know what other questions you might have -- we will answer them as best we can!

What is Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord?
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord was one of the first computer role-playing games. Released in 1981 for the Apple II, it set a standard for the RPG genre, inspiring many other dungeon-crawlers in the decades that followed. The 2023 edition is an all-new remake by Digital Eclipse, running in the Unreal Engine, but based on the original Apple II code.

Why revisit this game?
While the first game's innovations were huge, those pioneering steps did take place more than 40 years ago. As a result, the first game in the Wizardry series has many barriers to entry. Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is Digital Eclipse's attempt to preserve the original gameplay (and the original difficulty) but present it with the rich graphics, streamlined controls, and other modern features that today's RPG players have come to expect. It's intended as both a restoration and a reimagining of the original Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, one that is built for modern gaming hardware and lets players experience a true classic in the most comfortable way possible.

Where can I get the game?
The Early Access version of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is downloadable at Good Old Games and Steam.

Why is this being released via Early Access?
After two years in development, we're ready to share what we're working on with the community. We know there are devoted fans of this franchise worldwide, and it means something different to each of them. We want feedback from as many players as we can get, so we can incorporate as many improvements as possible before we bring this ambitious project to completion.

How much of the game will be functional during Early Access?
The entire core game is playable, though there will likely be some bugs. Additionally, some visual elements are not 100 percent complete. The team is still working on additional environment and object textures, audio elements, and character animations; some existing elements will be replaced or upgraded during development. Incomplete assets are marked with a special "yellow tools" icon to let you know they are still in active development.

Some elements may change or stop working during the development process. Save games, for instance, are something that could break between major updates, although we will make every effort to avoid this. During Early Access, Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord should be considered an early build that you can play before it's done, so you should expect and prepare for some inconveniences associated with a work in progress. If you would prefer not to encounter those elements, you may be more comfortable wishlisting the title and waiting until work is completed.

Will the price go up later?
Yes. As the team adds more content to the project, the price will increase. Anyone who has already bought the game during Early Access will receive that additional content at no additional fee; it will simply arrive in title updates and will not be packaged as optional downloadable content.

How long will the Early Access period last? What is the target ship date?
Based on current scope and resources, the dev team anticipates that Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord will be content-complete and leave Early Access before the end of 2024. However, this is far from a guaranteed commitment, as there are often unforeseen factors and various surprises that might lengthen the development process. As we navigate changes and obstacles, we will keep the community informed.​

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2518960/Wizardry_Proving_Grounds_of_the_Mad_Overlord/
https://af.gog.com/en/game/wizardry_proving_grounds_of_the_mad_overlord?as=1649904300

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Never heard of this project nor of the studio but based on the trailer and the description this looks pretty good.

That the party walks super fast is a good example of the things which make me think they know what they're doing.

Taurist

Scholar
Looks to be aa console ui.
Is the mac version still the only classic wiz game to make use of a fucking mouse?

JBro

Arbiter
When the Bard's Tale remakes released, I wanted Wiz 6 and 7 remakes in the same vein. Maybe I'll eventually get that. Never thought I'd play any earlier Wiz games, but this will definitely do it for me. Gonna get it eventually and hope they do the whole series.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Soulless. What's the deal with indies/small devs and semi-cartoony graphics?
wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord_2.gif

"so much soul wow"

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Will I still be able to transfer my party to Knight of Diamonds?

I predict the pretty graphics and fancy animations will be amusing for about an hour or so and then everyone will want to turn them off so they can get on with the game.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Surprising. Should be worth keeping an eye on. The end of 2024 release should give them plenty of time.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
If they fixed the infinite old man ghost spawning then it’s not worth playing
Those aren't old man ghosts you asshole, those are Murphy's Ghosts!
whatever it’s been like 4 years anyhow grinding them is the only reasonable way to play cause screw grinding strong monsters who give Jack for exp

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Had no idea this was even in development. I'll bite. This game was impossible for me when I was a kid. I had to switch to the Bards Tale because it was easier.

Falksi

Arcane
Graphics aren't the best, but I'm up for giving it a go. Certainly nice to see the series get a bit of love again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom