Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Gaiden III - Scripture of the Dark Now Available in English!

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Here to announce the release for the English translation of Wizardry Gaiden III - Scripture of the Dark for the Game Boy! Special thanks to Tangyi Chang, Suzune, Helly, Agent Orange, & Mark Patraw for all of their hard work involved in doing this! I hope everybody enjoys this release :) Hoping to release Wizardry Gaiden IV in English for the SNES soon. If anybody encounters any issues with this please feel free to message me MrRichard999 on anything wrong. The patch can be found at this download link.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2252/

2252titlescreen.png
creditsw3iz3.png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%203%20-%20Scripture%20of%20the%20Dark%20-%20ENGL_01.png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%203%20-%20Scripture%20of%20the%20Dark%20-%20ENGL_02.png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%203%20-%20Scripture%20of%20the%20Dark%20-%20ENGL_03.png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%203%20-%20Scripture%20of%20the%20Dark%20-%20ENGL_04.png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%203%20-%20Scripture%20of%20the%20Dark%20-%20ENGL_05.png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%203%20-%20Scripture%20of%20the%20Dark%20-%20English%20V1_02.png

TigerKnee

Arcane
Has anyone played all these Gaiden games yet and can tell me if they make any system changes between the games and which one is the best one?

edit: Answering a bit of my own question, but apparently this one adds in the Dark Savant era races and classes. Pretty shocked to see the Rawulf and Mook here. Also pretty strange to see the Dark Savant classes like Bard and Ranger being retro-fitted to pre Dark Savant era mechanics. Though I think Psionicist isn't in the game, guess they didn't want to create a new school of spells.

By the way, no translated manual for this release? There wasn't for Gaiden 2 either.

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
IIRC female gnomes are the only race/class combination that can become a ninja in this game.

I remember in one of the gaiden games casting some high level alchemy spell would corrupt your save. Does that still happen in this one?

What are you doing to my precious free time, you monsters?

By the way, no translated manual for this release? There wasn't for Gaiden 2 either.

I was thinking of doing this to help MrRichard and the gang out a bit, but as you might guess, coming across scans of the actual manuals is pretty difficult. However, if it's "just" more in-depth info about the games you're after, you might find what you need here, here, and here.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Mark's sites and Enoyoma's site (In Japanese) was the only relevant stuff we could find on this game but Mark's is a great wealth of help if you are playing. Unfortunately I dont think he provided maps for the 3rd one which is the harder one of the three :(.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Hey just wanted to let everybody know who downloaded the patch, there is a new one out which addresses a lot of dialogue issues. Version 1.01 has been released to correct these issues. Please apply to a clean Japanese ROM and not to an already patched one. Saved games that you have should not be effected by this so if you have already started playing, you will be OK :) The patch can be located at the same link provided on the first post listed above.

Repressed Homosexual
I've played the first Wizardry Gaiden, and it's a fun diversion but it seems to be not as well designed as the early computer Wizardries. The dungeons are also smaller, it's a 16x16 grid, although I think there are more levels.

I'm curious to see how the later games in the series, where they've backported the classes introduced by David Bradly, are going to be like.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
The first two in the series are like that and the 3rd one goes off into where its different areas sectioned off. Guess it was limited with the game body when they first started doing these on them.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Why couldn't you do this earlier, when I didn't have a tablet to play DS crap?
I would've been ready to drink your piss just half a year ago.
:x

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
It started with wanting to translate Wizardry Gaiden IV for the SNES and talking to just the right people. If it weren't for all the people involved in this project, this would have never happened. It was a matter of talking to the right people at the right time and getting a good collaboration. Mark Patraw & Tangyi Chang were really the ones who started off doing the Game Boy version of the first one. I think it was intended to be a private project at first but it was great to get involved with Tangyi on working with him on the first one. Tangyi & Suzune are based out of China and for them to do translate a game into English is a pretty big task. Helly also helped on doing the rest of the translations that were left to be done and with a combined effort, we did the first game boy release :) From there we went on to do 2 and finally 3. Tangyi had done some of 3 but had started a new job and with access restrictions in China, more work had to be done plus 3 is a bigger game too. With the similiar dialogue Helly did in the first two able to transfer over, AgentOrgange helped a great deal with the remaining dialogue, thus completing the release of the last Wizardry Gaiden for the game boy :) 4 unfortunately is a different ball of wax. The good news about working on it is that it has some of the stuff already done in English which can be seen when changing the options to English language but the option menus are in Japanese that you have to navigate through in order to change it to that..kinda weird. We got all the small font stuff done but the larger lettered dialogue requires advanced hacking in order to change it. FinS is currently working on it but it is hard and beyond my knowledge to do myself so it will take time to do. We got all the dialogue translated but now we are just waiting on the English dialogue to be inserted.

No piss drinking required and you can still play I, II, and III :)

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

It started with wanting to translate Wizardry Gaiden IV for the SNES and talking to just the right people. If it weren't for all the people involved in this project, this would have never happened. It was a matter of talking to the right people at the right time and getting a good collaboration. Mark Patraw & Tangyi Chang were really the ones who started off doing the Game Boy version of the first one. I think it was intended to be a private project at first but it was great to get involved with Tangyi on working with him on the first one. Tangyi & Suzune are based out of China and for them to do translate a game into English is a pretty big task. Helly also helped on doing the rest of the translations that were left to be done and with a combined effort, we did the first game boy release :) From there we went on to do 2 and finally 3. Tangyi had done some of 3 but had started a new job and with access restrictions in China, more work had to be done plus 3 is a bigger game too. With the similiar dialogue Helly did in the first two able to transfer over, AgentOrgange helped a great deal with the remaining dialogue, thus completing the release of the last Wizardry Gaiden for the game boy :) 4 unfortunately is a different ball of wax. The good news about working on it is that it has some of the stuff already done in English which can be seen when changing the options to English language but the option menus are in Japanese that you have to navigate through in order to change it to that..kinda weird. We got all the small font stuff done but the larger lettered dialogue requires advanced hacking in order to change it. FinS is currently working on it but it is hard and beyond my knowledge to do myself so it will take time to do. We got all the dialogue translated but now we are just waiting on the English dialogue to be inserted.

No piss drinking required and you can still play I, II, and III :)
I love the amount of detail in this message.
I'll still grab it and play it someday, when I'm tired of Wiz 1-5.
Thank you.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
No problem :) Its definitely different than 1-5 but is fun & difficult at times.

ALSO WANTED TO LET EVERYBODY KNOW I RELEASED A 1.02 PATCH, IT CORRECTS AN ISSUE WHERE "UNDEAD" WAS SUPPOSED TO BE "BANDIT" (A REAL DUMB MISTAKE ON MY PART :P) BUT THE PATCH IS AVAILABLE AT THE SAME LINK ABOVE :)

Exatron

Barely Literate
Ancient thread, I know, but I just got a Game Boy Everdrive and have been updating all my ROM translations. I got a bit stumped when I got to this game, so I'm looking for some help.

The latest patch for this game on RHDN is version 1.03. Not sure if it's new to this version or was present in the previous ones as well, but the zip file contains two separate patches. The English translation patch is obvious enough, but it's the second one I'm trying to understand. It's titled:

Letter Reversion for Character Importing into IV & Dimguil.bps

Seems obvious enough that it's related to the option to import characters from Gaiden III into Gaiden IV/V, but otherwise there's no documentation about what it is and when it's appropriate to use it. And after spending way too much time Googling, I can't find any discussion about it.

I can tell it reverts some of the changes in the English patch from hex address 60BF8 - 60FC6 back to what was in the original Japanese ROM. I'm guessing something about the English patch doesn't play well with the character password system, so this patch is needed to make use of the transfer feature? But if it's a separate patch that's not included in the translation patch, I can only assume there are times when it's appropriate to use it and times when it's not appropriate. At a guess, maybe it reverts some of the game text back to Japanese, and so it would be preferable to not use it if you're not going to use the character import? Or perhaps whether to use it or not depends on whether you're importing to a Japanese IV/V or a translated IV/V?

Would anyone be able to shed any light on this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom