Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry 8 sucks! (LOL)

Is op a fag?

• Total voters
The problem is purely practical: Imagine a game with roughly 10 different "power levels", and 25 areas. At any given point, roughly 2 or 3 of them will be appropiate for your level, and 22-23 of the rest will not. Therefore, free roaming my ass. You'll be free to roam indeed, but will have no reasons to visit 95% of the world, nor will it be practical.

I don't think it's a problem. You always have a few areas that give you a fair challenge (which also serve as a hint you're on the right path), you gradually get more areas that you can easily deal with (and explore at leisure now that you feel safe), and you gradually get fewer areas that are still off-limits to you (you could still take a peek inside and see if you can score some goodies before getting creamed by the locals). Feels pretty organic.

Sooo many people don't know about using shift to run. Arnika road is possible with virtually no combat if you use lure and running and yet so many point to it as a breaking point.

I blame the monastery, it doesn't train you for what is coming with the enclosed spaces and hard to avoid battles.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always love to play the game... until it gets too repetitive.
Must've spent more than a hundred hours on it in total, but not once finished it.

Oh, well.
I'll just wait for Wizardy 9 then, right?

Black

Arcane
I always love to play the game... until it gets too repetitive.
Must've spent more than a hundred hours on it in total, but not once finished it.

Oh, well.
I'll just wait for Wizardy 9 then, right?
Go ahead.
A5yzPoz.jpg

treborSux

Arcane
Wiz8 is the best combatfag and character-buildingfag RPG ever devised as well as having excellent art direction, good soundtrack, awesome exploration and some of the best and funniest voice acting ever seen in avideo game.

You, sir, are a homo.
Homo checking in.

Wiz8 is the best combatfag and character-buildingfag RPG ever devised

Character building wasn't nearly as satisfying as it should have been, especially once you learn exactly how it works. Wizards and Warriors even had more effective and complex stat building, and came out a year earlier.

Combat is shit and tedious, even with speed hacks.

as well as having excellent art direction, good soundtrack, awesome exploration

Wizardry 8 was nice and polished for the most part. Exploration was bogged down by shit encounters and lack of any real or meaningful puzzles that were staples in earlier Wizardry games.

Good to see new posters here that don't always have the same shit colored glasses as the oldfags of this forum who actually think Wizardry 8 was anything above an average game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The LAST time I tried to play Wizardry 8 was when I did a back to back Wiz 6>Wiz 7>Wiz 8 (And yes, I had THE RING). I just got sooooooooooooooooooo fucking burned out on the random encounters. It's still a great fucking game though <3 <3 <3

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
The LAST time I tried to play Wizardry 8 was when I did a back to back Wiz 6>Wiz 7>Wiz 8 (And yes, I had THE RING). I just got sooooooooooooooooooo fucking burned out on the random encounters. It's still a great fucking game though <3 <3 <3

I consider doing the same at some point... I enjoyed wizardry 8 but never played the others. Would you recommend it? and what ring is that?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I consider doing the same at some point... I enjoyed wizardry 8 but never played the others. Would you recommend it? and what ring is that?

If I was to do a Wiz 6>Wiz 7> Wiz 8 run through again (and really, everyone should do it at least once, it is a excellent 3 part series), I would HIGHLY recommend possibly at least a month or two break before playing the next one (especially if you start burning out on random encounters, all three of them are filled with them).

Johannes

Arcane
I disagree with DraQ on no fuck-yous or few TPKs though. It's a game with instant death spells and uber powerful status effects (on highest difficulty every enemy in the game has at least one status effect I believe, while some feature multiple). Claiming anything else seems absurd to me.
Also glitching and the whole party falling down from that tree, for example.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If I was to do a Wiz 6>Wiz 7> Wiz 8 run through again (and really, everyone should do it at least once, it is a excellent 3 part series), I would HIGHLY recommend possibly at least a month or two break before playing the next one (especially if you start burning out on random encounters, all three of them are filled with them).

I recently finished 8, I'll give 6 a shot in early 2016. 8 was quite the slog until I got a teleporter beacon at the T'Rang base set up. Meanwhile in MM6 I can just run/fly/waterwalk past all the respawning trash.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

thanks for the advice, sounds reasonable. Is 6 really worth it, though? or maybe just 7 will offer as much as 6 in regard of advancements, tactics, etc?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
thanks for the advice, sounds reasonable. Is 6 really worth it, though? or maybe just 7 will offer as much as 6 in regard of advancements, tactics, etc?

Wizardry VI is a great and rewarding experience. You should definitely play it. Also you might find items that will stay with you all up to Wizardry VIII

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You can only find THE RING in VI, and you should definitely play it. It is where the whole 6/7/8 trilogy begins. Also where you start in 7 depends on what you do in 6.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Playing through Wiz8 for the first time after spending two hours speedreading tons of 'how to make a party that is not shit mid-game' guides and creating my characters named after shoot 'em ups
Although I was getting the hang of stuff and was making decent progress, I felt like I was doing something wrong
So I just fired up Wizardry 6 to repeat the process while getting anally devastated used to the high miss chances
It's quite fun, although something tells me it's going to take a very long while

pippin

I think there is a mod that helps you get better rolls during character creation in 6. You could see this as cheating, but this is a game where you can spend one hour trying to get a somewhat decent character.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Scrooge do you have that scrubbed Wiz6 item list I made for you? Might be handy for DavidBVal . The list contains basically all items available in VI but with spoiler type information removed such as curses etc. It is useful in that you avoid missing out on something nice due to not have meta-knowledge. As a fringe benefit what appears awesome may be cursed. Enjoy!

Durandal

Arcane
I think there is a mod that helps you get better rolls during character creation in 6. You could see this as cheating, but this is a game where you can spend one hour trying to get a somewhat decent character.
I don't like to cheat, but fuck RNG, fuck Skulduggery, and fuck bonus points.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Wizardry VI is a great and rewarding experience. You should definitely play it. Also you might find items that will stay with you all up to Wizardry VIII

This is terrible - I've never played any Wizardry (the horror!) and yet I have them all sitting here after buying the lot from GOG. I might just do what Jaesun suggests, lock myself away and play 6, 7, and 8, forgoing all other games. Then I could do a BLOBERT-esque review. Then I can greet the world with a smile again, knowing my shame has been absolved.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I always wonder why Blobber fans hate on JRPGS.
Isnt it like the same thing except from a different pov?

wack, thwack, sizzle. no movement, just pick attack/item/spell, random encounters, endure -- and in enduring grow strong.
these fans should really check out FF8, I hear it was the best blobber of the series.

/troll

Durandal

Arcane
I always wonder why Blobber fans hate on JRPGS.
Isnt it like the same thing except from a different pov?

wack, thwack, sizzle. no movement, just pick attack/item/spell, random encounters, endure -- and in enduring grow strong.
these fans should really check out FF8, I hear it was the best blobber of the series.

/troll
blobbers are to JRPGs as what Ninja Gaiden is to God of War and nearly every other Western hack 'n slash

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
blobbers are to JRPGs as what Ninja Gaiden is to God of War and nearly every other Western hack 'n slash

actually I like this. Especially since ive met blobbers that no amount of face-walling will beat, but a jrpg almost always can just by wandering around a little more.

Nael

Arcane
Just completed the Solo Faerie Ninja/Bishop run a few weeks ago. It was a lot of fun and I don't know if it was the 2.0 Jeff Ludwig mod or if the game scaled based upon the fact that I had only 1 live person in my party but there weren't nearly as many random encounters as I remembered in the past. Usually only about 3-4 groups at most when zoning in after having previously cleared an area out.

If you do try and go the Solo Faerie Ninja/Bishop route I highly recommend getting the Cosmic Forge program (EDIT: Actually it isn't the Cosmic Forge program. It was "Simple Editor" off Wizardry Vault.) and use it to twink out the grindy bits at the beginning (Stealth/Caster skills). Before you get all uppity at me for "cheating" I will have you know....

Fuck you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom