Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wizardry 6-8 Released on GOG

Overboard

Arcane
You can't use a hex editor unless you know what are you doing. What use is to raise str to 18 if the associated derived stats (of which you might not even know, them not being shown ingame. tohit, for example) are stored somewhere separately and would not update? Nah, you get to do it the hard way.

I believe you just need to hex edit the stats and the derived stats will auto-update. At least, that's how it worked with Wiz7. Editing the items is also pretty entertaining.

mondblut

Arcane
I believe you just need to hex edit the stats and the derived stats will auto-update.

Possibly, but I rather not take the risks unless I am perfectly sure I am not losing on anything (and Wizardry must have a ton of hidden stats). I am certain hitpoints don't get retroactively updated with any con bonuses, for instance (ok, I am not 100% sure con affects hp to begin with, but we can safely assume it does, like everywhere else).

At least, that's how it worked with Wiz7. Editing the items is also pretty entertaining.

Yeah. They stored a lot of excess item info there for some reason, including a pointer to item sprite. You could basically create all new items that way.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's a Wizardry 6 savegame/game editor tool that lets you edit the maps, encounter rates, monsters, dialogue, graphics, etc., etc. Someone linked it in the last big Wizardry 6 thread in 2011 or so.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Japanese Wizardry games basically hover around Wiz 3-5 in terms of mechanics, so if you like those games cloned for the 6 billionth time, more power to you!

I don't know about Labyrinth of Lost Souls specifically, the only JWizardry I've seen constantly recommended is Tale of the Forsaken Land for the PS2.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lookin
Alright, I have a long three day weekend and want to start fresh on my Wizardry run with Wiz6. Any suggestions/ advice for party builds (race/ class/ spells choice/ equipment/ etc.) that will follow me through Wiz 7 & 8? (I ask while digging out my old packet a graph paper.... Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to graph old-school without any hands?!!! ;) )
Looking at your avatar I suggest

male human fighter
male dwarf priest
male hobbit ranger
female human thief
elf mage
male human bard

Shouldn't be too difficult beating the trilogy with them.
:lol:... but is the elf mage male or female...:hmmm:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Ok, after reading many sites, and obsessing over the magnitude of taking one party through countless hours, I came up with:

Male Human Samurai to remain Samurai (for starting equipment)
Female, Elf, Fighter to upgrade to Valkyrie around level 10 or so
Male, Lizardman, Ninja to remain Ninja
Female, Dwarf, Bard to remain bard (for sleep and starting lute)
Female, Dracon, Priest to switch to Mage around level 11 (instead of going Bishop)
Male, Mook, Mage to remain Mage

They'll probably be in this order. Damn, this is probably why I finished Wiz 7: I never obsessed over anything and just switched classes for the hell of it. I don't even think I read the manual except to look up spells. If I had played Wiz 7 like I am starting Wiz 6, I would have never even started.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That is a very doable party. The Lizardman ninja is a bit..... odd. But that's what this game is all about. Do whatever the hell you want.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
In Wiz7 it is good to have ninjutsu (hiding) for all party members towards the end. So a class change to ninja, bard, ranger, monk or thief should be done at least once.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It always boils down to "take whatever party you want". The most important part is that you'll enjoy being with them for three games without getting bored.
If you want a more challenging game, avoid class switching, or switch only once or so.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I bought Wiz 8 yesterday and so far I'm loving it.

Now there's also a weaboo version called Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls. Is that any good?

It's okay, but Tales of the Forsaken Land is far better. Twas a PS2 game though, and I'm unsure about the emulation.

Albers

Educated
I like to start with all spellcaster classes and then multi-class them into hybrid classes, i.e. alchemist into a ninja, mage into a samurai and so on. Supposedly you get improved mana regen if you start out as a pure spellcasting class.

Al3xand3r

Novice
First time playing Wizardry 8 and while I've enjoyed most of it so far there are elements that baffle me or annoy me.

For example, why do my seemingly pure physical/ranged combat characters suddenly all ask me to pick a spell for them to learn upon level up? Is everyone is a caster in this game after achieving a given level without dual classing them? I didn't put any points in the various magic schools so they're all kind of gimped now, I guess.

Enemy groups can be rather large. Why didn't they just make each enemy tougher rather than make you fight crowds that take a while to finish a turn regardless of speed settings? Nevermind when you happen to get in the middle of a skirmish with enemies and allies on top.

And finally, I have no idea how to progress the story, I guess I'm dumb. I've exited the monastery, gone to the first town, saved a damsell in distress that ended up being a capable fighter joining my group, got a rogue recruited as well, got various items I can't find a use for (like some destroyed black box I took to a machine that can read such things but it's too broken to do that, or some cop's keycard that doesn't really allow me to do anything much outside entering a building that didn't offer me any progress), I also cleared a graveyard further ahead with a weird ghostly body haunting it and a skull I took next to it (I liked how I beat some wizard and then had to beat his ghost though, lol), and I can't really find how to progress any more, should I just go to the next city already, or am I supposed to find a way to enter that tower after all? I feel like I'm wandering aimlessly. Maybe I missed some NPC or item in the monastery or elsewhere.

I didn't really wanna use a guide for this (or any) game or read up spoilers but I may have to if all of it is so vague. It's still cool, the combat system and character creation seem pretty well developed, the graphics hold up really well in my opinion and the world is fairly unique with its custom mix of fantasy and sci fi elements I haven't quite encountered elsewhere in the same way.

Edit: oh yeah there seem to be some skills that confuse me too, is it best to put points in things like ranged/close combat or better to upgrade the specific weapon skills, or keeping them both at the same level or what? Similarly for the magic categories, just the overall wizardry (or whatever it's called) or the specific schools? And I also see there are two schools that seem to apply to the cleric type spells, meaning there's three categories to choose from dividing points to for my bishop...

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Hello, welcome to the Code...

Oh, wait...

Anyway, go to Trynton and then Marten's Bluff (the old guy in the building that "didn't offer you any progress" gave you a hint about that).

The characters you took are hybrids, meaning they can learn spells past lvl 5, but they won't be as good at it as pure casters.

It is better to put points in schools (wizardry, psionics etc.) than realms.

Similarly it's better to put point into weapon skills than close/ranged combat but weapon skills rise steadily on their own while most melee chars will have stats responsible for raising close/ranged combat on a rather low level so you might reconsider.

Anyway, the character development in Wizardry is fucking awesome and experimenting with it is literally tons of fun.

Al3xand3r

Novice
Okay, I see...

What are the non hybrid classes I should pick for a traditional setup? I wouldn't mind restarting, it should be quick enough to get back to this point.

I'd just like to have, 2 close combat characters, 1 healing caster, 1 ranged combat character, one offensive caster, one support caster.

My current setup is human lord, human valkyrie, dwarf bishop, elf ranger, gnome wizard, fairy bard.

And I recruited another valkyrie and a rogue which works out well so far, having 3 melees in the front row. Valkyries do tons of damage.

Oh and I gave everyone else except the ranger thrown weapons, is that bad? I just wanted them to be able to strike from the back row when there's no need/ability to cast.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Really, just go with what you like!

But if you really need to know - fighter and rogue are the pure meele classes (they are also both very strong and thus good choice for a beginner).

Al3xand3r

Novice
Thanks, so there's no pure ranged or mage classes that can only fit under a specific school and not learn any more etc..?

I think I'll stick with my party after all, unless they seem too gimped later on, I did make a new one with those pure guys but eh...

Maybe if I could somehow replace them in my save game and redo the skill points and such without too much trouble or issues doing so...

TigerKnee

Arcane
Pure mage classes:
Mage (duh), Priest, Alchemist, Psionic

Pure ranged classes:
Shrug. Most fighter classes can equip and skill most type of ranged weaponry even if they don't get any special abilities for that. Engineers don't technically cast spells with MP I guess.

Al3xand3r

Novice
Those aren't pure in my game, they can learn any school's spells and it's encouraged to since each school doesn't open its later spells soon enough for you to pick them every level up.

KevinV12000

Arcane
I played Wiz6 when it came out on my trusty Amiga 2000 (with a 40 meg HD, suck it bitches!!!) and loved every geeky, difficult, mappy minute of it. I bought this on GOG last night and, guess what?

I'm loving every geeky, difficult minute of it, although it is *amazing* how much detail I remember. I couldn't tell you who I shared an office with last month at work, but damned if I don't know exactly where the Rotten Cheese is and what do with it.

belated

Augur
Those aren't pure in my game, they can learn any school's spells and it's encouraged to since each school doesn't open its later spells soon enough for you to pick them every level up.

If it's anything like Wiz8, the 4 classes each have their own spells list (realms). It's just that many spells belong in more than one realm, especially at low level. So while there are many spells unique to each realm (eg psionic fire (psionic), fire bomb (alchemist) etc in wiz8) other spells like Crush (mage, alchemist), Charm (priest, psionic) etc belong to more than one realm and can therefore be cast by several pure classes.

Edit: Oh, you are playing Wiz8. In that case it works exactly as I said above. :p
You can see it in this list: http://www.tk421.net/wizardry/wiz8spells.shtml

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My First Wiz8 Party, based on the received Codex wisdom:

Dwarf Priest -> 2 -> Valkyrie, or, Psionic -> 2 -> Monk
Cat Mage -> 2 -> Samurai
Elf Bard -> 18 -> Rogue
Mook Ranger
Hobbit Gadgeteer
Faerie Bishop
+Vi
+RPS

Anything horribly wrong with this race/dualclass setup before I start rolling them up? I know any party can work but I don't want to have a horrible grind either.
Any party can work but I'd never start with Bishop. I'd never choose Bishop. He's probably the second worst class in the game, after Psionic. You'd be infinitely better off to start with Mage and after a couple of levels switch to Priest. You'd have much more skill points, hit points and spells that way. Or, since you have two mages and one priest already, I'd suggest you take another Priest-Valkyrie (or roll with a Valk from the get go).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom