Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wizardry 6-8 Released on GOG

BobtheTree

Savant
Woo! Now I can finally play these games. Oh wait, they're over 100 hours long each? :eek:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Having never finished 6, or even played 8, I want to go from 6 - 8. Here are some dumb questions:
1. You can take the same party through all 3 in the GoG verison (that is, extract saves from DosBox, copy to 7 directory, then to 8 or something?)
2. Any advice for someone starting with Wiz 6 and planning on completing Wiz 8?
3. I liked exploring Wiz 7: is there any party makeup that speeds up combat the most? There was a lot to investigate, but it got to a point where some fights took a freaking long time.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Having never finished 6, or even played 8, I want to go from 6 - 8. Here are some dumb questions:
1. You can take the same party through all 3 in the GoG verison (that is, extract saves from DosBox, copy to 7 directory, then to 8 or something?)

Yes. It will ask for a save file to import.

2. Any advice for someone starting with Wiz 6 and planning on completing Wiz 8?

GET THE RING IN VI. Also class switching is VI is RAGE INDUCING due to the fact you cannot distribute stats at level up, it is picked at random. So possibly don't do any class switching until VII.

3. I liked exploring Wiz 7: is there any party makeup that speeds up combat the most? There was a lot to investigate, but it got to a point where some fights took a freaking long time.

Fights always take a lot of time in the Wizardry series. The only way to finally speed combat through them is not a particular party make up but just by grinding. Of which I like Samuri/Bishop/Valk/Valk/Bard/Ninja.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I watched the new GOG video on YT. 500 hours for the whole trilogy? I hope I will still have a suitable PC for them when I retire.

mondblut

Arcane
Woo! Now I can finally play these games.

Never this kind of commentary has ceased to amaze me.

No, really...

mp.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
GET THE RING IN VI. Also class switching is VI is RAGE INDUCING due to the fact you cannot distribute stats at level up, it is picked at random. So possibly don't do any class switching until VII.

Like you can distribute them in 7 :roll:

Just man up and keep reloading.

mondblut

Arcane
Just man up and use a hex editor like I always do.

You can't use a hex editor unless you know what are you doing. What use is to raise str to 18 if the associated derived stats (of which you might not even know, them not being shown ingame. tohit, for example) are stored somewhere separately and would not update? Nah, you get to do it the hard way.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
is there any party makeup that speeds up combat the most?
High level mass nuke spells like Asphyxiation or Death Wish are invaluable for dealing with trash to mid-level mobs very quickly.
As for non-trash combat, you don't have to speed up that as it is the most enjoyble part of Wizardry.

I watched the new GOG video on YT. 500 hours for the whole trilogy? I hope I will still have a suitable PC for them when I retire.
They say 700 hours for the whole trilogy but tbh I have no idea what are they basing it at.
I'd say if you want to take your time and reasonably explore everything, then it'll take you maybe a week of nonstop playing for each game? Provided ofc you don't get stuck forever on a puzzle which is more than likely if you're a first timer.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
GOG could actually provide Stones of Arnhem bonus materials together with Wizardry 8. It was supposed to be the original Wizardry VIII after all. Ask the people who bought things in the auction to scan and send them.

If they ever do send us anything, we'll accept it :D.
do it, I dare you
9egsUjj.jpg

:smug:
WO6fpag.jpg

KzBIv1M.jpg

0pVikXW.jpg
That's all I have, most of the sketches were bought by a mysterious totally unnamed non-codexer, so unless you make him suck it down you won't get a lot of scans.

Saved and waiting for more :D. Hopefully, I get more stuff from that auction one way or another :D

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alright, I have a long three day weekend and want to start fresh on my Wizardry run with Wiz6. Any suggestions/ advice for party builds (race/ class/ spells choice/ equipment/ etc.) that will follow me through Wiz 7 & 8? (I ask while digging out my old packet a graph paper.... Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to graph old-school without any hands?!!! ;) )

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I would honestly say read the manual about the classes and races and just pick what you like. This is a game where any party combo is possible (some groups are much easier and some more challenging).

But...my Favorite combo is:

Bishop (they cast mage and priest spells but slower progression)
Valkyrie
Valkyrie (Because having TWO people able to cast SILENCE rules!)
Fairy Bard that then switches to Ninja
Samurai
Fighter

Bards are VERY helpful in the beginning, later not so much (because your spellcasters then will 0wn everything).
GET THE RING when playing VI
Have at least 1 Mook for when you play 8.
Make sure to order your party in the correct formation (fighters up front etc...) AND EQUIP YOUR PARTY in the beginning.
Your stats at character creation don't really matter. As you level up you will be bad-ass in no time.
Have your characters use their skills constantly (i.e. have the Bard or Thief keep trying to unlock doors to build up the skulduggery skill).

kmonster

Augur
Lookin
Alright, I have a long three day weekend and want to start fresh on my Wizardry run with Wiz6. Any suggestions/ advice for party builds (race/ class/ spells choice/ equipment/ etc.) that will follow me through Wiz 7 & 8? (I ask while digging out my old packet a graph paper.... Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to graph old-school without any hands?!!! ;) )
Looking at your avatar I suggest

male human fighter
male dwarf priest
male hobbit ranger
female human thief
elf mage
male human bard

Shouldn't be too difficult beating the trilogy with them.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Mooks are for fags... oh wait...!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom