Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will YOU try KOTOR Online?

AndhairaX said:
Some updates regading The Old Republic. Apparently each class will have two specializations (i.e. two sub classes) The Sith Warrior for instance can go on to specialize as a Juggernaut (heavy armor) or as a Maurauder (twin lightsabers). Each specilization will have its own skill set.

Also each subclass will have 3 skill trees, one of which is shared by the two. This is fairly well known I believe.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So basically it's the same old WoW shit, this class MUST do this, this class MUST do this, this class MUST do this shit.

Not at all interested at all.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Yeah, this is not a case of bad or good - it's just totally uninspired and doesn't show anything that hasn't been done before.

Kraszu

Prophet
Hoaxmetal said:
Yeah, this is not a case of bad or good - it's just totally uninspired and doesn't show anything that hasn't been done before.

Oh yeah? What about a cinematic experience of seeing speaking NPC with close up view in an MMORPG. Move up with the times, fallout was good in 2008 when they didn't had yet the internet technology. If you would play it now instead of seeing it with your nostalgic memory, you would think:"where are the people to talk about lolz with?" and you would turn that Turdallout off.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Overrated. Also,
post-3884-1222211302.jpg

Jaesun said:
So basically it's the same old WoW shit, this class MUST do this, this class MUST do this, this class MUST do this shit.

Not at all interested at all.

Actually I'm pretty sure that there is a lot of leeway for each class' role. Trooper and Jedi Knight for instance can be DPS or Tanks, and the Smuggler and Jedi Consular can be DPS and Heal. Pretty sure there's some CC sprinkled in there somewhere too. But yeah, the subclass seems to be designed for you to lean a certain way, ie Sith Warrior Juggernaut is more Tankish than DPS. So we will see what happens.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Kraszu said:
Hoaxmetal said:

Oh yeah? What about a cinematic experience of seeing speaking NPC with close up view in an MMORPG. Move up with the times, fallout was good in 2008 when they didn't had yet the internet technology. If you would play it now instead of seeing it with your nostalgic memory, you would think:"where are the people to talk about lolz with?" and you would turn that Turdallout off.
Not sure if troll.

Korgan

Arbiter
That latest bit was so cliche and :bioware:, it's actually cute. I'm going to sign up for the beta. (Edit: I did, will post impressions if they let me in.)

Drakron

Arcane
Kraszu said:
Oh yeah? What about a cinematic experience of seeing speaking NPC with close up view in an MMORPG.

Back when I was playing WoW I seen about 2-3 people talking to the same quest NPC at the same time, you want a closeup camera with multiple players in the same area also talking to him?

BioWare can not even get that right on ME2 were in some instances I was looking at floating eyeballs as the camera was inside of a party member.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I'd rather have a pack of rabid goats gang rape me then play another shitty MMORPG.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
MMORPG SO DIFFERANT THAN RPG, WHEN PLAY RPG ELITE TIME, VERY VERY INTELLIGENT, NO WASTE TIME AT ALL, BUT MMORPG IS SHIT SHIT SHIT, FOR NO LIFE LOOSER, ME I AM BODYBUILDING POWERLIFTING EDUCATED ACEDEMIC UBERMENSCH THAT PLAY THE GOOD GAME, THE GOOD RPG, THAT IS RIGHT, OTHER GUYS WASTE THE TIME ON NO MEANING NO POTENTIAL BULLSHIT, HA HA I AM SMART I ENJOY FALLOUT

L'ennui

Magister
I may try this game for a short while, especially if there's a free trial of sorts. MMORPGS have so far not been able to get me "hooked" but I can't help being a retarded Star Wars fan. (And I loved KOTOR. Both of them. :M )

EDIT: It appears I have blatantly double-posted. Shit happens.

Nomnoming through a smoked meat poutine right abou
No, the graphics look too pretty to run on my laptop, and I'm not one to buy new electronics just so I can play a game (Main reason I don't own a TV or consoles.)

In fact that's one of the things I give WoW credit for, being the fact that they haven't done a major graphical update to keep their system requirements low and keeping a wider potential for a player base. I don't get why other MMOs have to have the purdiest graphics engine and stuffs when all they're going to do is limit who can actually play their game, let alone who will.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
We believe that telling a story begins with creating a deep, realistic world. Player characters should be the focus as much as possible, and be offered choices and decisions that meaningfully impact the world around them. NPCs should have understandable motivations, real character flaws, and believable relationships with the player and with each other. Cities should feel like centers of activity. The world's history should make sense.

We also have a personal storyline shaped for each character at creation. Choices a character makes in this storyline will affect their lives, their homes, and their interactions. Lastly, there are the ongoing stories of the world, with constantly changing events occurring throughout each region that allow the various factions, races, and individuals of the world to interact.

We've heard a lot of complaints that nothing you do in an MMO truly impacts the world. Fighting an epic enemy only to see him respawn a moment later, or feeling as if the most important thing you did today was murdering ten rats, can cause a game to have a flat, repetitive feel.

Your character is already a part of the world around them; they have friends, enemies, and a past. As the character advances, different stories will become available. As the game progresses, biography choices and decisions made in the game will shape your character's future. Every character experiences an interactive, distinct tale. We want you to build a character, not a character sheet.

A character's biography will influence their storyline immediately. Once you have created your character's race, class, and gender, you may choose your physical appearance - and there are a ton of options! From there, you are offered a chance to answer several detailed questions about your character's personality, history, and background.

In order to develop your character's personality, the biography also has questions that are applicable to all races and classes. If you describe your character as intimidating and unfriendly, the reactions of NPCs will be different than if you choose to portray yourself as charming and kind. If you are simply making an alt character to see if you enjoy a class or race, you can choose 'random selection,' and these questions will be instantly filled out for you. But if you take a moment and answer, your character's story will be tailored to meet your interests, and match your vision of the person you have created

With all these choices in the game, how many story combinations are there?
Thousands. Right now (the specific numbers might be tweaked in development), there are about ten biography questions, with three to five different answers for each. There are unique stories for your race, with minor alterations based on your class choice or other factors. Each of the stories in the game has at least one major moment of choice which can alter the chain of events, making every story a different experience. Plus, the stories for each order, which are separate, also have moments of choice.

Rewards
Choosing specifics of your character's biography, or making decisions during a storyline, will alter your character's story within the game. Some of these differences will be tangible, like having special NPCs or merchants in your home instance, getting pretty town clothes, or seeing special cinematics. On occasion, completing a storyline might give you less tangible 'prestige' rewards, such as titles or revealing special lore. However, while we want to make the stories different, it should be stressed that we are not planning to give any game play advantages based on your decisions. Story choices will not affect how powerful your character becomes, what weapons they use, or what skills they can access. It will not give your character unique benefits, and it will not alter your character's capabilities. While no storyline effect will alter the mechanics (or power level) of your character, all the stories, experiences - and the flashy fun stuff - are distinct.

Events
A character's story is independent from the greater activities happening all over the world. If a player does not want to continue their storyline on a particular day, there are thousands of events, activities and games happening across the world.

:smug:

Angthoron

Arcane
Okay, if we actually presumed for a moment that it's not another load of bullshit, the MMO LARPer in me could actually find some of those features relatively attractive.

But I'm still only trying this on a free trial, BioWare!

Darth Dan 12

Novice
LucasArts would ruin KotOR 2 and then cancel KotOR 3, and then make this sack of shit called TOR.

Fuck LucasArts. Fuck Bioware. Fuck the people who think this is KotOR 3.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
This thread was tl;dr.

Have we determined of there will be a codex clan/team/whatever to troll the Bio/Lucas fan-boys in game?

I can probably contribute a few months worth of trolling but what about the rest of you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom