Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will YOU try KOTOR Online?

Exmit

Scholar
This is what a GW2 fanboi replied to me when i told him that ToR got choices and consequences which GW2 does not have

are you ****ing joking me? have you not seen the character creation in GW2? right from the start you have to make choices on how your character will progress, every races main city will have an instanced area just for a player in which they can continue on with there personal storyline.
How ignorant are you to skip a video which is what, 5 minutes of explaining the character creation pages ago.

I'm starting to think that the Bioware lot is not so bad afterall in comparison to all other 'mmo gamers'

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Actually GW2 is planning to have some choice-ful personal storyline. Not as much emphasis as in SWTOR, though as Excidium says, I expect little to none C&C. Even if it weren't Bioware, there's not going to be C&C in an MMO.

Angthoron

Arcane
TOR playthrough with narration, HQ:

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/tar ... alkthrough

Highlights:

- Music "lifted" from the films reeking of a cash grab
- Slow and boring dialogues with "fun" things like 20-second meditations with a creepy Yoda
- Boring WoW-like combat
- Narrator that can't name a single skill or mechanic from the game but tries to make situations like a mob hitting healer for 30 seconds (to chip away 10% of healer's health) an exciting and dangerous situation
- Somewhat decent graphics
- Loading screens and cutscenes!

hyttenhoof

Novice
I'll try a free trial, just to see if it's good.

If it's bad, that's great.

If it's good, I won't buy it either. such is my hate for bioware

If it's incredible, I'll just sit here and shout 'YOU WIN THIS TIME' and the like.
:x

WalterKinde

Scholar
If i didnt know this was a mmo i'd think it was a fan mod for KOTOR 2, it seems to play that way.
Not interested in it really even from seeing this playthrough, it would have been better if they had shown us the starter areas, save that flashpoint event for later since they never completed it.

Angthoron

Arcane
Judging by the minimap on a yet another video, looks like the world is far from being an open-world design, more like Zul'Gurub or Zul'Aman if you know what I mean.

Graffix are nice, combat is uninspired and derivative. Might try a free trial but after seeing the dialogues in the video I linked, I think that even if Bio hadn't created a royal mess with DA2 and the previous projects, I'd not be my holding my breath for this one.

Exmit

Scholar
Combat seems same as KOTOR, which i think is ok. KOTORs combat wasn't anything superb, but it wasn't bad either.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There was hardly anything good about KOTOR's combat, so I wouldn't call it not bad either. But that may do more with the nature of the encounter design. MMOs are hardly a genre that will fix this problem.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"If it's incredible, I'll just sit here and shout 'YOU WIN THIS TIME' and the like"

Okay, I laughed...

Johannes

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
There was hardly anything good about KOTOR's combat, so I wouldn't call it not bad either. But that may do more with the nature of the encounter design. MMOs are hardly a genre that will fix this problem.
Shouldn't fighting other players with same possibilities as you, mean pretty good encounters? I odn't know shit about MMORPGs though, maybe it doesn't work that nicely.

I will be trying it out. I enjoy the Star Wars lore, history, etc... and I am not quite as violently anti-Bioware as most. I still think they have the capability to make a good game; or at least, I hope they do.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
A surprisingly objective review of recent info on a fansite:

I was not that pleased with it all. sure it was nice to see all the videos but... there still is something missing. Actually a lot of things were revealed that kinda contradicted the whole things that were said earlier. And mostly annoying that there still was no release date, or at least date for the planed beta.

For one, there still is a trinity. just because nearly every class can heal, or tank, does not mean you have no Trinity. Healers could do some damage and CC before, it is not that new.

No companions in Flashpoints, meaning the "you do not need each role for a flashpoint, everyone uses their companion to take care of that" line was not too true either (so much for releasing only things that are set in stone)

The way the dialogue sounded, you do not get anything from the talk options you chose. One bonus audiotrack, then you are back to the main voice track telling you the story you "have" to hear anyway.

Still no release date.

Instances still look like the same old. Small groups of trash mobs. then a big boss you all beat down, loot. Sure I do not know how to change that, but for me this sure does not look heroic, looks more like wow with space equipment.

Animations were not as cool as it was always said. no interlocking, no changing moves. Just stand in the back of that big rankor like thing and do the same battle animations, while the Rancor thing does its, eating away the green bar.

Consulars ability to throw objects was nice, but pulling out some metal pipe thing from the ground everywhere? And no change of the surface? Sure it would take a lot of processing power, but then change the description and animation of the power to something that is reasonable. Reaching down with the force several hundret feet under ground, ripping that metal thing through stone, Dura-Crete and worse just to toss it at somebodies head sounds... ineffective.

And the worst thing... spikes on shoulder pads... Just.... why? Hey, dude, Naga the Serpent called. she wants her shoulder pads back.

Though there of course were some good points too, just pointing out the bad ones. I was rather pleased to see no Trooper Bikini. No belly free consular. Solid controls and lots of positive feedback, that the game is not even half as boring as it looks on some videos.

http://darthhater.com/forum/topic/1035

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
SWTOR is going to flop so hard it would probably have killed Bioware if they hadn't merged with EA.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Worst case scenario is that the game flops, and BIO texas clsoes. It won't effect BIO EDM.

Black

Arcane
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/ ... -preview/1
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/ ... -preview/2

it’s one of the most boring titles we’ve ever had to endure. It’s plain and staid and deathly dull. It’s both exactly the same as every other MMO we've played, but at the same time so much worse
Throughout 48 hours-worth of play we didn’t see a single interesting or believably animated character; merely sock puppets with semi-decent voice acting.

The plotlines that we saw wouldn’t have been gripping even if they had been populated with Oscar-winning actors

Even fierce combat feels painfully static and uninvolving

We found ourselves wading through an almost obscene amount of combat too, usually against the type of wild beasties and bandits that typify every RPG, ever – but in greater quantity and in an area which felt far smaller. In some cases we’d clear out an area, walk into the next room, turn back and face the exact same enemies we’d killed only moments before. Once or twice we even saw foes respawning over their own corpses as conversations distracted us – very, very anti-fun.

What’s most disappointing of all is how empty and lacking in personality the worlds of The Old Republic felt

:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

And a bonus from the comments
I was surprised that Bit-tech didn't enjoy their time with SWTOR, every other site has been very positive with regards to the look and feel of the game.
I was surprised to see those positive previews too, as many of the other journalists I spoke to told me at the event that they were unimpressed with it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Party rolls over who gets to choose dialog option? r00fles!

The mission/instance/dungeon in that video looked really boring. Along with all the negative things I've heard and seen, I'm pretty sure I'll never play this and that it will flop.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
It really doesn't sound any worse than any other MMO. But I'm currently grinding through shitty f2p PVE so that I can RVR, so I have really low standards right now.

Seems like this article writer doesn't really play MMOs, though. He expects epic unique story, which isn't gonna come from Bioware, especially in an MMO.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Guess in the end most people will wait for free trial, create a Jedi/Sith, get bored after some hours and never play again.

Stabwound

Arcane
Wow, what a great game. A unique new MMORPG featuring robots and aliens rather than elves and dwarves. That could be any generic MMORPG with a Star Wars skin. Terrible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom