Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will DA be as dialouge-heavy as ME?

Dire Roach

Prophet
Or you could just let the screenshots speak for themselves...

PS:T dialog:
psarm2yo6.png

ME dialog:
mechattythumbek9.jpg

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I always pick "It was" because Shepard is so awesome that it's no fucking big deal for her to have incredible lesbian sexual intercourse with a damn dirty dopey-eyed sexy blue alien sex girl. It's just another day, another bitch. "Just hand me cigarette and get back to work!"

Also: LESBIANS!!

Didn't know that a word count beyond The Far Too Longest Journey makes for crisp narrative, solid characterization and a fluid experience just like that, in a game, on top of that. Every game maker should list the number of lines they put into the game as a feature as it's a clear sign of quality and quality writing in particular. That'd be like, awesome.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Quite true oneman, quality over quantity should be the key. I'm happy to read/listen to dialogue as long as it works, and makes the characters appealing.

PST is still a good example of this. ME maybe not so much.

But then again; BLUE ALIEN LESBIANS!!!1!

Barrow_Bug said:
PST is still a good example of this. ME maybe not so much.

Couple of months ago I was convinced that the first thirty seconds of the Brütal Legend trailer make for an ingeniously funny commentary on the narrative qualities of your average self-proclaimed hardcore Arr Pee Gee. This was a first for me: the moment I finally got to see such a cringe-worthy "narrator" getting his damn mouth shut and his butt kicked had me cheering. Sure, you may be tempted to yell "CONAN!" but since that's a big source of inspiration (apparently) for many a writer who grew up on Dee Ann Dee and shit, there you go.

No doubt, there's so many games that could do with heavy editing. The moment you take control over Jade in Beyond Good And Evil you're already totally into the characters and world, and there was little talking involved prior to that at all. It's rare for a game to actually have solid characterization though, for another good example of such, see this interaction between Ben and Mo in Full Throttle when they introduce themselves (fast forward to 3:30.) It's not the words. A good writer can do very much with very little actual words. Pointless exposition sucks donkey balls.

darthdarther

Novice
Is ME as good as DA will be?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom