Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the majority of the codex dont play the true classics?

Alkarl

Learned
I think that what can help the new crowd discover the classics is to play a modern rogulike with an ASCII mode, and really switch to that mode after some time. The brain of a modern gamer should hopefully quickly adapt and understand that the graphics are the just for representing the stuff in the game world and need by no means be photorealistic, and the UI of the roguelikes will prepare one for anything.

That said, I struggled a bit with the mouse interface in the mind-bogglingly awesome Ultima Underworld 1, when I played it for the first time just a few years ago.
Angband is not a good introduction to games ;)

I think he meant Nethack or ADOM. ;)

Even still, I think you either have a predisposition towards them or you don't. I personally can't think of any common threads between people who are only recently discovering a love for these old crpgs. I suppose a distaste for all things modern gaming has brought us could be one. Maybe a certain level of nostalgia. I started gaming with a Nes and Atari, plus I might have played the original Prince of Persia way back on some EGA pc. I would have been 3.

I bring this up cause I had a friend who was really into roguelikes, ascii ones even, but I could not get him into classic crpgs. Kid was about 5-6 years younger than me. So, I guess it isn't always a graphical consideration.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You'll lose lots of random encounters.
OTOH you'll also lose how you became an Avatar or Virtue, and exploring Britannia for the first time.

Alkarl

Learned
Will I lose much if I only play Ultima V?

Not really, but playing Ultima 4 before hand, whether you choose to import or not, can still be helpful in a number of ways. Not to mention, while I personally enjoyed 5 more, Ultima 4 is worth experiencing.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
VvRLO91.gif

Luzur

Good Sir
In the end, even the die-hards cant win against streamlining and dumbing down, because its what they want, everything to be easy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
In the end, even the die-hards cant win against streamlining and dumbing down, because its what they want, everything to be easy.
There is a difference between streamlining and dumbing down. There is nothing bad about having some simplification to some systems.

Cael

Arcane
Lets be honest, you're too stupid to be any of those things lol
Is that the best you can come up with? Make up fantasy stories about people you have never met in order to salve your bruised ego? You poor thing. You need to get out more. And no, you mommy isn't the best person to go for when you need that kind of comfort.

Cael

Arcane
I think he meant Nethack or ADOM. ;)

Even still, I think you either have a predisposition towards them or you don't. I personally can't think of any common threads between people who are only recently discovering a love for these old crpgs. I suppose a distaste for all things modern gaming has brought us could be one. Maybe a certain level of nostalgia. I started gaming with a Nes and Atari, plus I might have played the original Prince of Persia way back on some EGA pc. I would have been 3.

I bring this up cause I had a friend who was really into roguelikes, ascii ones even, but I could not get him into classic crpgs. Kid was about 5-6 years younger than me. So, I guess it isn't always a graphical consideration.
Rogue-likes appeal to people who like uncertainty, to perhaps gamble on what they can get. They tend to be more unpredictable and every run is different because what you get is different. Angband is a perfect example. In one run, you might get a strong randart early and help you breeze through the dangerous first few levels. In another, you are dead by level 2 because an out of level boss chases you down and eats you.

Classic RPGs are not like that. They are pretty much fixed in many ways, and their replaybility is based on exploration, different classes or just the sheer beauty of the game. Ultima is a good example. You replay it to explore more of Britannia, or do things you didn't do the first time around, but everything is actually the same. Where every piece of equipment is is fixed, the spells are fixed, even the keywords and where you find quest items are fixed. You can practically make the same run multiple times if you do exerything the same every single time.

The lure of playing is different and that could explain why your buddy doesn't like classic RPGs. He probably thinks they are too linear and there are no surprises and no variation.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Lets be honest, you're too stupid to be any of those things lol
Is that the best you can come up with? Make up fantasy stories about people you have never met in order to salve your bruised ego? You poor thing. You need to get out more. And no, you mommy isn't the best person to go for when you need that kind of comfort.

What bruised ego? You're a soft nerd lol, you've never bruised an ego in your life haha

Cael

Arcane
I will keep telling myself that, buy some acre cream bro all the stress I have you. You're having another break out :D
:nocountryforshitposters:

At least try not to reveal your uneducated, toddler self with your complete lack of vocabulary or grammar...

Cael

Arcane
UI is not a problem. Even the goldbox series have the goldbox companion.
Dafakk is this? This is awesome, why didn't I know about this earlier? This might improve the experience of playing the the Goldbox game a lot!.
I thought people here would know about it. GBC has been around for a very long time, although it has problems with the Krynn series, for some reason. Can't seem to read the DQK files properly.

Cael

Arcane
Don't be too mad about your aspergers, I'm sure you have some pens to organize .
The fact that you keep harping on and on about something you claim I have makes me wonder if you are merely projecting. Given that you went OCD with the claims when I disagreed with you with regards to the inventory control of U6 and U7, it would seem to be the case.

I'd like to say that you have my most profound pity, but that would be a lie. Go call daddy or mommy and tell them you have been bad on the computer. There's a good boy.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Don't be too mad about your aspergers, I'm sure you have some pens to organize .
The fact that you keep harping on and on about something you claim I have makes me wonder if you are merely projecting. Given that you went OCD with the claims when I disagreed with you with regards to the inventory control of U6 and U7, it would seem to be the case.

I'd like to say that you have my most profound pity, but that would be a lie. Go call daddy or mommy and tell them you have been bad on the computer. There's a good boy.

Well you said you enjoy the U6 and U7 inventories, the only logical explanation I can think for that is that you have OCD.

Cael

Arcane
Well you said you enjoy the U6 and U7 inventories, the only logical explanation I can think for that is that you have OCD.
No. I said that I didn't have a problem with them. I never said I liked it. I didn't have a problem with them because I use the basic principles that professionals are taught in order to deal with multiple demands on their time. Being orderly and having a disciplined mind is a major efficiency methodology used by people who want to be on top of their game, not just content to be mediocre.

That you call it autism not only shows the kind of envy-ridden deadbeat that you are, but proves beyond a doubt that you are either not a professional and nothing but a lackadaisical unskilled labourer/dole bludger or someone who is autistic and hates it so much that you will accuse anyone else of the same in an effort to drag them down to your low level.

Whichever one you are, I have little interest in, so don't bother telling me your sob story.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
No. I said that I didn't have a problem with them. I never said I liked it. I didn't have a problem with them because I use the basic principles that professionals are taught in order to deal with multiple demands on their time. Being orderly and having a disciplined mind is a major efficiency methodology used by people who want to be on top of their game, not just content to be mediocre.

That you call it autism not only shows the kind of envy-ridden deadbeat that you are, but proves beyond a doubt that you are either not a professional and nothing but a lackadaisical unskilled labourer/dole bludger or someone who is autistic and hates it so much that you will accuse anyone else of the same in an effort to drag them down to your low level.

Whichever one you are, I have little interest in, so don't bother telling me your sob story.

Didn't read your post after the first line, don't care enough.

All I know is you seem really mad and your aspergers is acting up big time :D

Cael

Arcane
Well, at least you admit to your stupidity and projection. It takes an... autistic person to keep using the same thing over and over and over again.

As for mad, I think your mental retardation is showing up again. I am actually bored. Most people stop using repetitive taunts by the time they are 8. It seems you never got past that stage.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Well, at least you admit to your stupidity and projection. It takes an... autistic person to keep using the same thing over and over and over again.

As for mad, I think your mental retardation is showing up again. I am actually bored. Most people stop using repetitive taunts by the time they are 8. It seems you never got past that stage.

Someone is mad about their aspergers :D

Didn't read your post again

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom