Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the majority of the codex dont play the true classics?

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
I think that is a fine list. For Goldbox games I suggest FRUA (Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures), which has some UI and quality of life improvements over the original Pool of Radiance. As a fringe benefit, once you set FRUA up there are many good modules to play.

There is the thread Jaesun started. You can find module discussion, setup instructions. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ealms-unlimited-adventures-frua-thread.61909/

There is a link by Cyler Rubin to a zip file with pre-configured game and a bunch of modules: HERE

Pool of Radiance is FRUA module #39.

Ok, I will play pool of radiance. Are Curse of the Azurre Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness as good as PoR? I will read the books too.

I will play the gog version. Is that ok?

octavius, why dont you agree with this post?

Alkarl too

I liked Disciples of Steel too. It's easy to setup this game?

Last edited by a moderator:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Ok, I will play pool of radiance. Are Curse of the Azurre Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness as good as PoR? I will read the books too.

Because the conversion misses some things that are hard coded in the original, like the random encounter system and the genie bottle.
And you won't be able to transfer your party to Secret of the Silver Blades. Although nowadays you can probably use Gold Box Explorer/Companion for that.

Also, there are few FRUA modules that can match the GB games.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Alkarl too

I liked Disciples of Steel too. It's easy to setup this game?

Pool of Radiance is the best of the series. The game's objective is way more constrained than the typical 'save the world' quest, and the pacing is as good as it gets. Curse of the Azure Bonds is also fantastic, but the main quest isn't as gripping, nor does the story make a lot of sense. Secret of the Silver Blades falls short of both games, and it was a little more experimental, with an NPC quest that is pretty good, but an atypical dungeon design in the later half that fails to be anything but a slog. It is still an SSI Gold Box game, and thus still good... just not great. Pools of Darkness is a high-level, epic quest that ties a lot of these plot threads together. As a stand-alone game it is pretty good, but as a series finale it's one of the better conclusions out there.

I highly recommend all the SSI Gold Box games, even the Buck Rogers games that I felt were the weakest, due to their failure to utilize the skill-based system they were based. And also FRUA and Ray Dyer's mods. The GOG versions are fine. I never read the books, but TSR was hit and miss with their D&D novels in my opinion. Some real gems in there, but a lot more mediocre efforts too.

Freddie

Savant
Some ideas in old games were actually great and worked very well considering what was possible back in the day. Gold Box games are prime example of that and sometimes you need to play a classic to understand another classic. Without playing and Forgotten Realms or Krynn games, one cannot understand what was achieved in Buck Rogers games.

Some games have really bold ideas, say Sentinel Worlds: Future Magic. Was implementation that great? Nope.. but I have yet to see game which gets anywhere near it's ambitiousness. People may hate Ultima IV, but it's idea of character creation is worth pondering in some scenarios. Wasteland was influential title, that said, it preferred to play it as mod to Wasteland 2, but not going to happen.

Overall, it's also about how developers solved problems back then and people who understand that can also understand how little progress there are on some areas. Sure we have better inventories and better UI's but neither of those is cRPG. It's the vision, ideas, mechanics and quests in campaign to tie that all together.

I really don't know where to put Japanese games, Snather and Policenauts in this, but despite some sequences, I really appreciated that via emulators and fan translations I was able to understand what they were about and why they have certain status in gaming world. Dosbox has made many things easy in PC land and I would recommend anyone curious actually try those old classics, if not for other reason, but to demand better games than what we have today.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Betrayal at Krondor was the first PC RPG I played, due to my age. I liked it a lot but not sure I finished it. A replay has been on my to-do list for many years but you know how life vanishes.

Not playing the Ultima games is probably my biggest "RPG cred disqualified" but man, they're so before my time it's hard to deal with. I'd just rather play something more my speed a second time, like Fallout 2 or whatever. I do plan to play Ultima VII someday, and bought the GOG version for that purpose, but fuck knows when I'll actually do it.

treborSux

Arcane
I don't like the concept of nostalgia "lets all live in the past" but 80s-early 90s games were a product of a different time. They have a purity and charm modern games don't. Flaws of old games are like Cindy Crawford's mole above her lip, they weren't overanalyzed and calculated efforts based on years of do's and dont's of game design.

It's something no one can have back without collective amnesia. It doesn't matter your age or "muh graphics", it's something you either appreciate or don't.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Betrayal at Krondor was the first PC RPG I played, due to my age. I liked it a lot but not sure I finished it. A replay has been on my to-do list for many years but you know how life vanishes.

Not playing the Ultima games is probably my biggest "RPG cred disqualified" but man, they're so before my time it's hard to deal with. I'd just rather play something more my speed a second time, like Fallout 2 or whatever. I do plan to play Ultima VII someday, and bought the GOG version for that purpose, but fuck knows when I'll actually do it.

Well the big problem with the old ultima games is how tedious the inventory system was. In ultima 6 and 7 this probably adds like 10-15 hours to each game just fiddling around for shit in your inventory. Other games from that era generally don't have that problem.

I liked u7 and u6 back in the day when I was a kid but I really can't see myself going back and replaying them for that reason.

Cael

Arcane
Well the big problem with the old ultima games is how tedious the inventory system was. In ultima 6 and 7 this probably adds like 10-15 hours to each game just fiddling around for shit in your inventory. Other games from that era generally don't have that problem.

I liked u7 and u6 back in the day when I was a kid but I really can't see myself going back and replaying them for that reason.
I call bullshit on this one. I never had a problem with the inventory in U6 or U7. You just need to be smart about who you give things to. In U7, Iolo is always my gold man. Jaana holds the quest items. Shamino gets food. Dupre gets the surplus weapons (until I can drop them off on the carpet). Sentri is my powder keg mule. Spark is my gem and gold bar/nugget boy.

Half the time, the problem is people hoarding stuff when they should be dropping stuff off at a central repository. The carpet in U7 is the best mobile storage bunker in RPG history, better than even the vehicles in Fallout. You can "partition" it so that you know what items goes into which container, allowing you a level of storage organisation that you won't be able to find in any other game.

U6 is even simpler in that there is really no reason for you to have a long list of items. Most of the items you need a lot of (e.g., reagents, food/rations, gem, gold nuggets, etc.) stacks up to 144 or 255 or even more (gold). The only thing that might cause an issue is the 9 map pieces, each of which takes up its own slot. If you are a potion/ring/wand horder, give them to one guy to carry so that you don't have to keep tinkering with it (better still, use bags).

A bit of discipline goes a long way in those types of games.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

I call bullshit on this one. I never had a problem with the inventory in U6 or U7. You just need to be smart about who you give things to. In U7, Iolo is always my gold man. Jaana holds the quest items. Shamino gets food. Dupre gets the surplus weapons (until I can drop them off on the carpet). Sentri is my powder keg mule. Spark is my gem and gold bar/nugget boy.

Half the time, the problem is people hoarding stuff when they should be dropping stuff off at a central repository. The carpet in U7 is the best mobile storage bunker in RPG history, better than even the vehicles in Fallout. You can "partition" it so that you know what items goes into which container, allowing you a level of storage organisation that you won't be able to find in any other game.

U6 is even simpler in that there is really no reason for you to have a long list of items. Most of the items you need a lot of (e.g., reagents, food/rations, gem, gold nuggets, etc.) stacks up to 144 or 255 or even more (gold). The only thing that might cause an issue is the 9 map pieces, each of which takes up its own slot. If you are a potion/ring/wand horder, give them to one guy to carry so that you don't have to keep tinkering with it (better still, use bags).

A bit of discipline goes a long way in those types of games.

'I have more aspergers then you and I have no problem with micromanaging tiny items in a shitty digital bag' is what I got from that.

I don't give a shit what retarded nerds say on the internet, no offence. U6 and U7, U8 have terrible inventory systems and all your twitching and OCD isn't going to change that. I'm sorry but a substantial number of the population including RPG players don't have personality disorders.

Cael

Arcane
'I have more aspergers then you and I have no problem with micromanaging tiny items in a shitty digital bag' is what I got from that.

I don't give a shit what retarded nerds say on the internet, no offence. U6 and U7, U8 have terrible inventory systems and all your twitching and OCD isn't going to change that. I'm sorry but a substantial number of the population including RPG players don't have personality disorders.
I am sure that anyone with a neat and tidy office would be thrilled by your characterisation of their discipline in ensuring that things are put away properly so that they can be found easily at a later date.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

I am sure that anyone with a neat and tidy office would be thrilled by your characterisation of their discipline in ensuring that things are put away properly so that they can be found easily at a later date.

I keep everything neat and tidy in real life. Organizing ultima 6 and 7 inventories isn't something normal people enjoy.

Judging by your previous posts I can already tell you're a complete autist, there's no need to explain further.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I keep everything neat and tidy in real life.
Sure you do. Sure you do. There's a good boy. I didn't mean to call you out on your obvious bullshit. There, there now.

What did you call me out on?

First I posted that the Ultima 6 and 7 inventory systems are shitty and tedious to manage.

Then you made some type of beta male 'I'm calling you on your SHIT I have NO PROBLEMS with the ultima 6 and 7 inventory systems'

Then I called you an autistic nerd because if you don't have a problem with U6 and U7 inventory systems you're clearly autistic. I liked both games when I played them in the mid 90's as a kid, I thought they were fun back then but they objectively have the worst inventory systems of any games ever.

Then you tried to bring real life into it which had nothing to do when anything.

Then I called you an autist again which, no offense but you clearly are.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

The UI of these two (+) games is why I played the Dungeon Siege remake of U6 instead, and skipped U7 altogether on my play list.
U5 was the peak of the pure Ultima games IMO, both combat and UI wise.

Cael

Arcane
Sure you do. Sure you do. There's a good boy. I didn't mean to call you out on your obvious bullshit. There, there now.

The fact that you think people who automatically keep items in a neat, organised way are autistic. It takes a really butthurt person to make that kind of claim.

Tell me, did an engineer touch you inappropriately when you were younger? A scientist, perhaps? Or maybe an admin clerk?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I think that what can help the new crowd discover the classics is to play a modern rogulike with an ASCII mode, and really switch to that mode after some time. The brain of a modern gamer should hopefully quickly adapt and understand that the graphics are the just for representing the stuff in the game world and need by no means be photorealistic, and the UI of the roguelikes will prepare one for anything.

That said, I struggled a bit with the mouse interface in the mind-bogglingly awesome Ultima Underworld 1, when I played it for the first time just a few years ago.

Cael

Arcane
I think that what can help the new crowd discover the classics is to play a modern rogulike with an ASCII mode, and really switch to that mode after some time. The brain of a modern gamer should hopefully quickly adapt and understand that the graphics are the just for representing the stuff in the game world and need by no means be photorealistic, and the UI of the roguelikes will prepare one for anything.

That said, I struggled a bit with the mouse interface in the mind-bogglingly awesome Ultima Underworld 1, when I played it for the first time just a few years ago.
Angband is not a good introduction to games ;)

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

Tell me, did an engineer touch you inappropriately when you were younger? A scientist, perhaps? Or maybe an admin clerk?

Lets be honest, you're too stupid to be any of those things lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom