Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the decline will NEVER stop

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
We have RPG Codex for that.

if codex games discussion is music skyway is the backup bass player

DragoFireheart said:
A gamepad is far more comfortable though.

also a gamepad makes it feel more like you're playing a game and there's newer control sensing mechanics like pressure sensors tilting and movement acceleration that a bloated unergonomic tool like the keyboard cannot feasibly have

Cassidy

Arcane
http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/IQ/1950-2050/

animation.gif

/thread

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Alexandros said:
Kaanyrvhok said:
The mouse was never much better than two analogs

:what:

Surely sir, you jest.

Only for people who were accustomed to it from the start. I was never a big fan of shooters or first person games until I was on a fishing boat with nothing but an Xbox and Halo. I got used to it.

Before that trip most of the first person games that I played on the PC were RPGs or old shooters like Doom. Halo controlled a lot better than those games so for me it was a smooth transition. If someone prefers the range of motion of the mouse that is reasonable I wont argue. I’m just explaining that If you were never in that Counterstrike crowed double analogs are good controls for shooters especially when they are designed so the movement has a range of motion that WASD cant rep. Now if you really want to spit on your keyboard consider this. I work in the game industry with people who did grow up playing FPS shooters on the PC yet still prefer controllers for CoD.

Excidium said:
of course you can do all that "easily" with a controller but let's compare both schemes in a situation: In a PC game with a decent inventory you would just press I and double click a weapon or drag it to equip and then press I again to close the inventory. In a console RPG you have to open the menu, enter inventory, go to the weapons tab, go down the list, press A to equip and then B to exit.

Which one is better?

Yo are stuck in Bethesda/Peter Molyneux thought. A better inventory for a console is just the PC inventory using an analog stick like a mouse. Devs outthink themselves trying to provide a 'console' experience and end up with shit inventories like Fables, Oblivion's and Dragon Ages. I played Baldur's Gate on the PSP which was much like a pure PC port and it was fine. Not as crisp as a mouse but much better than Mass Effect, Dragon Age etc etc.

Fallout on the PSP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vor-XcRC-Hg

Okay... look, I hate this shit, but the RPG Codex is seriously fucking declining as of late. I'm almost at the point of actually using the ignore function.

Esquilax

Arcane
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Okay... look, I hate this shit, but the RPG Codex is seriously fucking declining as of late. I'm almost at the point of actually using the ignore function.

Tell me more bro.

Achilles

Arcane
Kaanyrvhok said:
I work in the game industry with people who did grow up playing FPS shooters on the PC yet still prefer controllers for CoD.

Maybe because of RSI and/or sitting infront of a computer wielding a mouse all day?

ever

Scholar
Thumbsticks / joysticks for first person shooters is quite silly.

Something like head tracking with the kinect and a thumbstick for movement wouldn't be too bad if realism is the goal, because with mouse and keyboard you can turn around way too quickly, but with this it would be like playing doom, only you can move your head around to aim within the amount of movement you can afford yourself. Although this is probably a stupid idea, I can't imagine it being terribly fun, just clunky and awkward.

If realism is not a goal ( and it shouldn't be for something like Quake ) and you just wanna turn around as fast as possible then the keyboard and mouse are the way to go there, and this is the method I most prefer.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
4m3rica said:
Good, only about 24 million people are in my intelligence range.

I scored above 130 on my last test but I'm the dumbass in this thread for telling the truth. The world is long over the mouse controller debate. The decline will end when indie RPGs make big profits on consoles with good sophisticated games. The controller will not stop them from making those games.

ever

Scholar
Your above 130 IQ sure didn't stop you from confusing mouse control in a shooter with mouse control in a role playing game, doofus.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

Then fucking use it and rid us of your bitching.

DragoFireheart

Fuck off Drago. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. :prateek:

Little attention whore, are you upset that no one gives a shit about you? Think insulting me will get you Kool Kodex points? Stupid Kwan.

DragoFireheart said:
Fuck off Drago. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. :prateek:

Little attention whore, are you upset that no one gives a shit about you? Think insulting me will get you Kool Kodex points? Stupid Kwan.

I'm the attention whore? How many threads have you started in the last two days asking inane questions and only contributing bullshit? Ah, and I'm loving the "stupid kwan" comment. Keep it up, Dicksmoker 2.0.

DragoFireheart

I'm the attention whore?

-That's what I posted. Can you read?

How many threads have you started in the last two days asking inane questions and only contributing bullshit?

How many topics have you stalked me in, made a single-liner insult towards me, and didn't contribute shit?

At least 3.

I think you got me beat in that department moran.

Ah, and I'm loving the "stupid kwan" comment. Keep it up, Dicksmoker 2.0.

-Making topics = attention whore? God you are such a bitch AND a retard. Go perform a rain dance and get hit by lightning or something.

Edit: A retarded bitch that stalks.

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=61006

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=60948

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... &start=100

It's just that your dumbfuckery pervades so many threads, and I have a lot of free time at work. I tend to comment on dumbfuckery or when I have something constructive to say (which is admittedly fairly rarely). And if you think fucking with you would earn anyone any Kredits, you be trippin. If I cracked someone that was worth shit, sure, but you're just a gamefaqs fag who wants to run with the "cool crowd".

DragoFireheart

It's just that your dumbfuckery pervades so many threads, and I have a lot of free time at work. I tend to comment on dumbfuckery or when I have something constructive to say (which is admittedly fairly rarely). And if you think fucking with you would earn anyone any Kredits, you be trippin. If I cracked someone that was worth shit, sure, but you're just a gamefaqs fag who wants to run with the "cool crowd".

...and I have a lot of free time at work.

-Tell me, where do you work?

DragoFireheart

Why, you looking for Plane Tickets?

Nope, just a phone number so I can report to your supervisor that you are goofing off at work.

4m3rica

Educated
Hey guys, I brought you some painkillers for all the butthurt you've endured.

DragoFireheart

Jaesun said:
Is there honestly any difference between you and Mastermind?

I know there are some similarities but he for some reason actually cares about "winning" and being "victorious" or some stupid shit. I just like arguing because it amuses me.

Also, I'm on less peoples ignore list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom