Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the decline will NEVER stop

Deleted member 7219

My friend insists that shooters are best played on the Xbox. He thinks the 360 Controller is much better than using a mouse and keyboard.

He also has a gaming PC, but he only uses it for strategy games like Supreme Commander 2 and Starcraft II.

It seems like he plays everything on the 360. But he doesn't like RPGs. I swear he isn't as stupid as he sounds, he is just incredibly uncultured.

There's nothing wrong with not digging RPGs, but preferring a controller to keyboard and mouse is borderline retarded.

kasmas

Educated
Since the very beginning of game development the holy grail was to make the ultimate average of everything game that will sell millions.
I think this is why games had much more variety in the past than they have now. During the 80's and the 90's developers experimented a lot creating different genres and applying innovations in game mechanics.
What we see now is one company looking what sells best from the other and try to copy it while at the same time dropping parts that made their own previous games successful.
Sooner or later the average best game ever will appear , it will be a mix of FPS/RTS/RPG/G stratery/Arcade that will be played both RT and turn based single or MP .
After this game developing companies will have to search for new grounds going back to their roots and put an end to the decline .

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
BLOBERT said:
BROS YOU SOUND LIKE YOU ARE KINDA BEING ASSHOLES

I DONT THINK LESS OF ANYONE IF THEY ARENT INTO OLD SCHOOL CRPGS I JUST DONT TALK WITH THEM ABOUT IT

I ALSO REALIZE MANY PEOPLE DONT HAVE TIME TO PLAY WITH GAMES THAT HAVE A STEEP LEARNING CURVE CAUSE THEY HAVE OTHER FUCKING SHIT TO DO IN LIFE

BROS I GUARANTEE THERE ARE LOTS OF STUPID PRICKS THAT ALL OF YOU KNOW THAT THINK YOU ARE STUPID BECAUSE YOU LISTEN TO MUSIC ON THE RADIO OR BECAUSE YOU DONT WATCH FRENCH INDIE CINEMA OR BECAUSE YOU WILL EAT FOOD THAT ISNT FANCY ENOUGH OR WHATEVER

NONE OF YOU FUCKS ARE SMARTER BECAUSE YOU LIKE MORE SOPHISTICED GAMES BROS

BROS THIS FORUM IS A HOTBED OF ADOLESCENT ANGST I AM SORRY BROS YOU ARE NOT UNIQUE AND SPECIALL PEOPLE BECAUSE OF THE VIDEO GAMES YOU PLAY
Jesus fucking Christ, learn to read. Reading you spout stuff that is completely irrelevant to the topic of conversation makes me cringe.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
LordDenton said:
Alexandros said:
Well there are still a whole lot of PC gamers worldwide.
But that's the thing. There aren't that many. For example, almost all my computer science classmates who played games were console gamers. Some were "PC gamers" but only played World of Warcraft or Diablo 2.

In my dorm everyone played console games. No exceptions. There were even campus-wide organized gaming tournaments once in a while. This would be perfect for PC games like Counter Strike, but no, their games included Halo, Madden, and MLB on Xbox.

Even Europe which is considered the last bastion of PC gaming is being slowly transformed into a console gaming cash cow. Take Piranha Bytes:

Gothic 1-3: PC exclusive masterpieces.
Risen: great game because primary platform was PC.
Risen 2: consoles are now as important as the PC. Game world is now split in multiple small portions and designed in such a way that consoles can handle it.

Then you have Jowood which butchers the Gothic name by making Arcania in a hope to please console and casual gamers.

Sorry, but the decline is affecting the entire world, not just the US.

The only solution is the Double Screen, Xbox Live arcade, and PSN when Sony get their head out of their ass. PC RPGs can sell as much on those markets as they sold on the PC.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Matt7895 said:
My friend insists that shooters are best played on the Xbox. He thinks the 360 Controller is much better than using a mouse and keyboard.

He also has a gaming PC, but he only uses it for strategy games like Supreme Commander 2 and Starcraft II.

It seems like he plays everything on the 360. But he doesn't like RPGs. I swear he isn't as stupid as he sounds, he is just incredibly uncultured.

He is not alone. Have you seen how CoD sells on the Xbox or Halo? I dont see why this surprises you. The mouse was never much better than two analogs because people dont like moving with double Us S'es As and Ds.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The mouse wasn't much better than two analogs?

Why I guess this is why two analogs had their asses handed to them in Shadowrun by the WASD crowd

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
There's nothing wrong with not digging RPGs, but preferring a controller to keyboard and mouse is borderline retarded.

If an RPG is "worse" because it's on a controller rather than a keyboard or mouse, then it's highly likely it's a bad RPG to begin with and control scheme won't matter anyways. Especially if said RPG doesn't require the player to type anything out. If more RPGs required or at least heavily utilized typing boxes for info ala Fallout 1 you might have a point, but since most of them don't the control scheme is irrelevant.

MetalCraze

Arcane
- it's impossible to control a party with a controller
- as a result it's impossible to have flexible camera viewpoints
- it's impossible to have a good inventory with a controller
- it's impossible to have a good journal with a controller
- it's impossible to use many character functions at once (like having multiple spells in quickslots f.e.) with a controller
- it's very uncomfortable to have big skill- and stat- trees with a controller

More?

DragoFireheart

MetalCraze said:

- In a turn based combat system it's clunky at worse.

- In an isometric view-point this is irrelevant.

-Clunky maybe, but not impossible.

-Journals are so complex man. It's like making a schematic for a companies network system!
- it's impossible to use many character functions (like spells f.e.) with a controller

-With all the buttons on 360/PS3, switching between allies shouldn't be an issue. The Wii remote however... I see some serious potential there.

-This is the only point I agree with.

I'm not saying that a controller is BETTER than mouse + keyboard. I'm merely pointing out that control scheme isn't as vital as FSM was making it out to be. For FPS? Yes: if you want a controller over mouse + keyboard for FPS, you are retarded. But for RPGs (especially ones that are not FPS-hybrids)? Not quite as vital.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter

Its not an either or thing unless you include the mouse
qwerty-xbox-360.jpg

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter

Its not an either or thing unless you include the mouse
qwerty-xbox-360.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
DragoFireheart said:
- In a turn based combat system it's clunky at worse.
In real time it's impossible.
On PC it's comfortable anywhere.

- In an isometric view-point this is irrelevant.

Controlling something more than 1 character in top down 3D on consoles? Excuse me?

-Clunky maybe, but not impossible.
Nobody has made a good inventory yet with a gamepad in mind. Why?

-Journals are so complex man. It's like making a schematic for a companies network system!
That's about right if you want quests and clues not to look like a terrible mess and be sorted well and accessible at all times.

-With all the buttons on 360/PS3, switching between allies shouldn't be an issue. The Wii remote however... I see some serious potential there.

It shouldn't be an issue? Really? Why it is a huge issue then where it's takes a lot of time to command only 3 characters? Something you can do with a mouse in seconds.

I'm not saying that a controller is BETTER than mouse + keyboard. I'm merely pointing out that control scheme isn't as vital as FSM was making it out to be.

Obviously it is vital. Control scheme is one of the main reasons why all the dumbing down happens.

On PC you can have 30 spells in quickslots easily accessible (via combinations of ctrl/alt/0-9 ). On PC you can easily have parties of 6 characters (or more) and can control them with a pixel precision. And then you can have all those keys leading to various gameplay screens.
Open an inventory and drag and drop whatever item you wish - with them being depicted as several dozens of icons on the screen at once. With a gamepad you have to scroll a lot.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
- it's impossible to use many character functions at once (like having multiple spells in quickslots f.e.) with a controller

More?

Only if you are a complete and utter jackass. You can do all that with a controller... easily

FatCat

Educated
Kaanyrvhok said:
MetalCraze said:

More?

Only if you are a complete and utter jackass. You can do all that with a controller... easily

And much more easily with a mouse.It's like jogging in a sport shoes or high heels.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Kaanyrvhok said:
MetalCraze said:

More?

of course you can do all that "easily" with a controller but let's compare both schemes in a situation: In a PC game with a decent inventory you would just press I and double click a weapon or drag it to equip and then press I again to close the inventory. In a console RPG you have to open the menu, enter inventory, go to the weapons tab, go down the list, press A to equip and then B to exit.

Which one is better?

DragoFireheart

Read what I'm responding to, fucking retard.

Clarify your point instead of making it appear you are making a broad statement rather than specifically referring to FPS. Fucking kwan.

MetalCraze said:
Obviously it is vital. Control scheme is one of the main reasons why all the dumbing down happens.

-Well that's a retarded statement. Any game made with the controller in mind = dumbing down? What about older platformers that were CLEARLY superior with the controller? Controller scheme has nothing to do with dumbing down. Lazy designers and poor game mechanics, yes, but controllers? If anything they have become more complex throughout time.

With a gamepad you have to scroll a lot.

A gamepad is far more comfortable though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom