Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why don't we get more games that look this good?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
skyway wins this thread. Blade Runner is fucking great.

30m26h4.jpg
Pressing down on the d-pad to make it look like she's giving a blowjob. How clever.

A user named cat

Hmm, I see no Silent Hill or Heart of Darkness screenshots. This should not be tolerated. There is only one course.

silent790screen027.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Also LucasArts adventures - I think they p. much have the best 2D cartoon-y graphics out there.

And decline is not only in looks. What about sound? Remember that gorgeous sound of Brosius from LGS games?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
And decline is not only in looks. What about sound? Remember that gorgeous sound of Brosius from LGS games?
SS2 was king in that regard. The soundtrack that often switched from dark slow ambient to something fast and heart pumping every now and then for a change of pace. And hearing the enemies growling, moaning, or muttering but having no clue where they were at and if they knew you were there. And nearly shitting your pants every time Polito contacted you on the radio with its fucking loud static sound shattering the silence from out of nowhere. It was fantastic.

And the shotgun BOOM was very satisfying.:cool:

Also this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XXZ9IpZoxk
Pure sex. I've all those SS2 techno tracks on my ipod, they're damn good. So much better than all that overdone "epic" orchestra stuff most games have these days.

spekkio

Arcane
Terri made an exceptional job not only in voice acting (Shodan/Victoria) but also as designer in Thief 2.
One of the reasons for me to play Thi3f was to hear her sexy voice once more :)

2e68sxh.jpg

:salute:

Eric's work in Thief 1-2 and SS2 makes him god of sound design.

And now Eric & Terri Brosius are working on Guitar Hero series :(

:rage:

One of the biggest signs of decline: talented people working on some stupid shit, instead of using their full potential.
Well, it could be worse - Molyfaux and Spector went insane, negating most of their previous work "I was wrong making creative and non-linear games, streamlining (a.k.a. bore and linearity) is the way now!".
Or Levine’s way: "LGS were kewl people, but I always wanted to make games that sell well". You should be proud of yourself now, moran. :(

Wyrmlord

Arcane
dr. one said:
Black_Willow said:
All previous games in this thread pale in comparison to Gumboy
looks good, but one of the previous games is Machinarium so ... no.

The Whispered World doesn´t look bad too:
TWW_screenshot_gold_02.jpg

flhc20.jpg

2908367e9355.jpg

5349-www.zockon.de-tww_screenshot_14.jpg
This wins the thread.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Looks mostly pretty good, especially that last pic with the compass. Character art looks pretty shit and very amateur tho'.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter

spekkio

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
In a recent interview it's said working on the Beatles Rock Band was the best thing he's ever done in game development.

OK, he joins the 2nd list with Peter and Warren.

:rage:

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
You'll notice I put "it's said" instead of "he said". That's because I didn't bother to read past the interview's first few paragraphs, I've no interest in the rock Band games. So I don't know if he really said that and the interview points it out at the beginning, or if it's just the journalist putting words in his mouth.

MetalCraze

Arcane
spekkio said:
Eric's work in Thief 1-2 and SS2 makes him god of sound design.
He also worked on Tribes Vengeance as far as I know and sound there was memorable too.
And remember the psycho-level in SWAT4 - Brosius-style was coming out of every hole there, one of the better levels in that game, considering that it was the only one where you had the least combat.

As for music even NFS original series had fitting music (fast techno, up to speed so to speak) and these days it's a motherfucking rap.
And then we have Klepacki, but he had no new games with kewl OST since Universe at War.

Zur and Soule is the new shit.

Jaqen

Novice
bs_1.jpg

This is one of the rare cases where I think graphics/art added so much to a game.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Spekkio

I think Edna and Harvey's release for the civilized world was, like, delayed to 2010 instead of canceled, but i am unsure.

@ Topic

While it isn't really 2D and stuffies I think some of Trine's stages are really beautiful and charming and stuffies and thingies. You may say it isn't, like, totally unique and original but a fairy tale thingie, but then i do love fairy tale thingies and while it may just be the usual places like a dark forest, a ruined castle, some dark caves, etc, they all look truly pretty. The forest village almost at the end is totally lovely.

Some random screenshots.

Forest thingie.
Gold!
Big mushroom thingies!
Big cogweel thingies!

A JEWtube video thingie so you can see it in movement and stuffies.

Ermm

Erudite
PLZZ POST MOAR 2D>

No but really if this is not too much to ask post some other 2D games.

Only just discovered Hammerfight and Gumboy. And The Whispered World looks promising and it seems it will come out in Q1 2010.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
spekkio said:
Speaking about 2D PC games, did any of you, German Ubermenschen / Russian Commies play Edna Bricht Aus / Эдна и Харви.?
English version (Edna & Harvey: The Breakout) was scheduled for 2009 release, but it didn't happen. :(

The first half or so of it was good. A bit constrained, but good. Then I got bored 'n tired. Blame repetitiveness.

EDIT. Played it in German.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom