Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why don't we get more games that look this good?

Black_Willow

Arcane
All previous games in this thread pale in comparison to Gumboy.
gumboy-25-max.jpg

Gumboy-3-max.jpg

Black Cat

Magister
@ JarlFrank

That's some, like, totally fine taste in independent gaming. Aquaria was bloody awesome up to where i played, nya.

spekkio

Arcane
I really dig this "whole game as a single, continuous area" thing of old 2d games (Metroid, Castlevania, Turrican, etc.).

2z5m7ty.jpg

Aquaria was p. cool to, for a Metroid ripoff. :)

Reaching the surface and jumping out of the water was really great moment.

28jd6s7.jpg

dr. one

Augur
Black_Willow said:
All previous games in this thread pale in comparison to Gumboy
looks good, but one of the previous games is Machinarium so ... no.

The Whispered World doesn´t look bad too:
TWW_screenshot_gold_02.jpg

flhc20.jpg

2908367e9355.jpg

5349-www.zockon.de-tww_screenshot_14.jpg

spekkio

Arcane
DraQ said:
Bwuh? But Turrican had distinct levels, huge as they might have been.
My fail. I played it on C64 with every level loaded from the tape, maybe that's why I thought it was originally continuous.

Melcar

Arcane
We already knew that 2D > 3D
One of the first 2D games I remember playing that I really liked was Abe's Oddysee. Among the recent ones I played Aquaria was cool too. Machinarium was alright as well.

DraQ

Arcane
Melcar said:
We already knew that 2D > 3D
No, it isn't and such opinion is a sign of 'tardation.

However, 2D is constrained in such way, that it is perfectly possible to make perfect graphics for a given resolution, while with perspectivic 3D graphics it is simply impossible today.
Plus, it's easier to stylize a 2D image, than it is to stylize a 3D scene.

lightbane

Arcane
Gerrard said:

Wisdom: So the game includes hentai. Does it gives a bonus to your male's stats? What about the chick, is there lesbian sex/hentai too?

And these games look jawsome, I'll need to get some of these ASAP.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Actually all of these screens look shit except for that one that looks like a point and click adventure.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
There seems to be some confusion in this thread between "looks beautiful" and "has highly detailed soft colour backgrounds". One does not equate the other.

30m26h4.jpg

Since the game is Japanese, I deduce from this picture that they are brother and sister.

spekkio

Arcane
MC said:
Pfft. Gimme some dark and gritty mature shit.

2l96zqx.jpg

Damn, LoK was released in 1996?
I remeber seeing a teaser of this game on some german-demo disc (In Deutsche Sprache Naturlich!) running on friend's PSX connected to old black&green 10-12'' monitor from Atari XE.
Good times :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom