Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do some RPGs dangle the "carrot" in this way?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
procrastinator said:
If you beat the optional boss in FF8 you get this. Is it any better?

That's just as bad if not worse. Why waste my time if there is no reward? Solely for the challenge? I suppose but it seems less enjoyable if fighting such a challenging monster yields nearly nothing from it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
jancobblepot said:
Surf Solar said:
What shit games do you play where there is only one single "best" item for each category? Good RPG have good items with upsides and downsides, not this stuff.

:x

playstation_Final_Fantasy_VII-Combat.jpg

Actually FF7 didn't have that trope. The "ultimate" weapons could be gotten very early (though as a good little mini-max retard you'd be using the ones that double materia points).

Machocruz

Arcane
I think extra, optional, tough content is the way to go, including increasing difficulty in + New Games.

In some cases, you would need the high level equipment to tackle the extra challenges. Like needing equipment with good resistances for certain branches in Stone Soup, or needing complete Heroic sets for WoW end game content (don't know if this is a true, just going by what people have told me).

Scoff at Final Fantasy, but it used to be pretty good at offering extra challenges that payed off having the uber shit.

DragoFireheart

Excidium said:
Bragging rights!

Eh I guess, but honestly I don't think those kind of bosses should be harder than the final boss.

Star Ocean 2 did something neat: if you did certain side-quest, it made the final boss SIGNIFICANTLY harder than any other fight. It was optional, but it's a concept I liked.

Zomg

Arbiter
The final super reward should be the abolition of evil from the world. Damn you are good at this video game. Now everyone lives forever and there are no miscarriages or deformed infants ever again, lions eat straw like an ox, sharks are cool with being petted

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You get the best sword in Gothic 2 after completing the expansion. It also scales with your level, but you have to sacrifice HP to upgrade it. To me it felt like a pretty damn satisfying weapon. You had to work hard to get it, it doesn't completely trivialize everything and it scales with your level so that it isn't a complete super powerhouse initially, although it is very powerful already as soon as you get it.

Bragging rights. Developers seem to assume that just having the Sword of Legendary Assfuck is a reward in itself (bling bling).

DragoFireheart said:
Star Ocean 2 did something neat: if you did certain side-quest, it made the final boss SIGNIFICANTLY harder than any other fight. It was optional, but it's a concept I liked.

Tales of Symphonia had an endgame sidequest (just kill some bosses, really) that made the final boss WEAKER. Considering that in the final battle he's locked inside his life support machine, just desperately slinging spells at you, it made an already depressing fight even sadder. I had to equip the lead's character's starting weapon (wooden swords) so it wouldn't be over in ten seconds. His final form at full strength is still easier than the bosses you had to fight just to reach him (he just has strong resistances), so I really don't know what were they thinking there.

UESP says it was supposed to be that way in Morrowind too, each Dagoth you killed would make Dagoth Ur weaker by a certain %. Because of a bug, Daggy is always at 100% strength.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Clockwork Knight said:
UESP says it was supposed to be that way in Morrowind too, each Dagoth you killed would make Dagoth Ur weaker by a certain %. Because of a bug, Daggy is always at 100% strength.
Not quite. The scripts are there, and they do work, but under one specific condition. Because of the way the engine works, an entity only exists in memory if the player has encountered it. So, for the whole weakening thing to work, you need to meet Dagoth Ur (no need to talk to him) so his stats get loaded into your game, and then you need to head back out and go kill the other Dagoths. Of course, since he's pretty easy to beat anyway, doing so is counter-intuitive and kinda pointless.

Radisshu

Prophet
Zomg said:
The final super reward should be the abolition of evil from the world. Damn you are good at this video game. Now everyone lives forever and there are no miscarriages or deformed infants ever again, lions eat straw like an ox, sharks are cool with being petted

:lol: :salute:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Rpgs are pretty retarded games. In a proper tactical game, your enemies should have access to the same items and abilities as you do. The "doesn't scale to your level" is potentially stupid shit in a game that has proper tactical gameplay. Why would you want to fight trash mobs or enemies that resort you to using overpowered abilities? It has to be a battle on equal terms. Either that, or your tactics should make the difference, not your items and spells. This is why those games are so shit and nonsense : rpgs are bastardized versions of tactical games. The character-building elements override the strategy ones. I'll have to write this up proprely some other time because this isn't the right thread for it

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Daemongar said:
Fowyr said:
Bard's Tale
Spectre Snare right after Mangar's room.
Corrected, and kind of annoying, that was a fun weapon and not game breaking :(
I can't really remember now, but probably Mangar's room has two entrances.

DragoFireheart

Serious_Business said:
Rpgs are pretty retarded games. In a proper tactical game, your enemies should have access to the same items and abilities as you do. The "doesn't scale to your level" is potentially stupid shit in a game that has proper tactical gameplay. Why would you want to fight trash mobs or enemies that resort you to using overpowered abilities? It has to be a battle on equal terms. Either that, or your tactics should make the difference, not your items and spells. This is why those games are so shit and nonsense : rpgs are bastardized versions of tactical games. The character-building elements override the strategy ones. I'll have to write this up proprely some other time because this isn't the right thread for it

I'd be interested in seeing it as it seem a lot of Strategy games use elements of RPGs, and vice versa.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
DragoFireheart said:
Serious_Business said:

I'd be interested in seeing it as it seem a lot of Strategy games use elements of RPGs, and vice versa.
What elements of RPGs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom