Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do developers refuse to use this formula?

Texas Red

Whiner
I'm playing King's Bounty and it got me thinking. Why is it so addictive and its simplicity just so good? Why can't other RPG developers replicate this gameplay and give us another series as loved as Fallout and as time consuming as MMOGs?

The gameplay is damned simple and has been around for ages. You kill low level creatures to get more power and money and to be able to take on the main quest.

The reason Bio can't put out as successful series as BG(which got this element especially well) is because all of their console games don't have players wanting more power, thinking their next move and achieving the goal. That's the same reason why everyone is looking to rape Fallout. They're not raping in anything particular, they just can't understand what makes a person want to play, and so just raise the corpse and hope it will be good. From the perspective of someone named sk8terboi14, I can understand why he would favor MMOG grinding to Bioware/Obsidian cinematic, story driven experience.

It's a pretty sad day when we give a major steel be with you to Obsidian for their ZoS traveling system, since once would expect every game to copy RPG legends instead of completely forgetting about them.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The reason Bio can't put out as successful series as BG"

Funnily enough, NWN is BIO's most successful game/series. Moron. And, KOTOR and ME sold just as much give or take the individual BG games. Tool.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"BG is a PC-only game, idiot, and he was talking about PC games"

Tough fucking noogies.

Again, NWN (also PC only) is BIO's most successful game. Dumb ass. Not surprisingly, you conviently ignored that.

And, still, both ME and KOTOR sold basically as much as BG. And, they have done sod epsite being out for many years less. L0LLIGAGZ!

And, oh, you lied as usual. He never mentions PC at all. Idiot.

Micmu

Magister
Volourn said:
Again, NWN (also PC only) is BIO's most successful game. Dumb ass. Not surprisingly, you conviently ignored that.
Did he say it is the MOST successful or just successful? READ before you go all emotional, whiny kid.
And, still, both ME and KOTOR sold basically as much as BG. And, they have done sod epsite being out for many years less. L0LLIGAGZ!

And, oh, you lied as usual. He never mentions PC at all. Idiot.
Go try your awesome rhetorics skills on 4chan or something.

Pastel

Scholar
"Did he say it is the MOST successful or just successful? READ before you go all emotional, whiny kid."
Are you just trolling Volly or are you really that fucking retarded?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"It's, uh, kinda... implied."

No, it isn't. He mentioned BG as BIO's most successful 'series'. No mention of P0C at all. he does mention console once. Nice try, though.

"Did he say it is the MOST successful or just successful?"

You are an idiot. He wrote the following: 'The reason Bio can't put out as successful series as BG'

Sound sto me he's stating quite clearly that he is claiming that BG is BIO's successful series (and hence game) as he claims no game of theirs as been as successful. Gah. The tools here in this thread its embarassing.

"kid."

L0L I wish I was a kid. They get all the fun.

Disconnected

Scholar
Volourn said:
No, it isn't. He mentioned BG as BIO's most successful 'series'.
Since you already know that isn't the case in terms of sales, you can safely infer sales isn't the sole basis, perhaps not even relevant to, his definition of success. Thus you can either ask him to clarify or go play in traffic. I'd like to encourage you to do the latter.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
L0L Suicide is for cowards. Go jump off bridge. But, make it just a small one as I don't encourage people to kiill themsleves over video games. R00fles!

And, his defintion is irrelevant; because if he we go by his 'opinion' then someone can along and claim that ET wasthe most successful game ever using a perosnal opinion.

Bottom line is that BIO believes that NWN is their most successful game/series/franchise. That's all that matters.

Texas Red

Whiner
Thanks for derailing the thread with your annoying fanboyism, Volourn. With BG's success you have to take in to account that it was released more than a decade ago. Matching sales to something from 10 years ago for PC ONLY is not as successful. Consider also the licensing of technology, the increased size of the team and development time and you will get a lot less sales. Also, again a decade later the community for BG is still strong and numerous while that of JE and KotOR 1 all but non existent.

NWN 1 sold more because it was released 5 years later from BG 1. Every one of those fans who bought NWN did so in hopes of getting the BG goodness and was pretty much fooled by the retarded/bribed reviews. Plus, it's a goddamn multiplayer gamer where the element I wrote about is the most present!

Lesifoere

Liturgist
micmu said:
Go try your awesome rhetorics skills on 4chan or something.

4chan would rip him a new one. On average, the posters there are much wittier and more intelligent than Volly.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
It's a pretty sad day when we give a major steel be with you to Obsidian for their ZoS traveling system, since once would expect every game to copy RPG legends instead of completely forgetting about them.
What is your issue with SoZ's travelling system?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dark Individual said:
NWN 1 sold more because it was released 5 years later from BG 1. Every one of those fans who bought NWN did so in hopes of getting the BG goodness and was pretty much fooled by the retarded/bribed reviews.

I concur. I bought NWN, because I hoped it would really be the 'spiritual successor' to BG as it was hyped to be, and after all the 10/10s in every possible magazine, I thought I couldn't go wrong.

Well... guess I could go wrong, the shit bored me to tears.

Texas Red

Whiner
Wyrmlord said:
Dark Individual said:
What is your issue with SoZ's travelling system?

No issue. I'm just amazed that it took so many years to finally go off the tracks of linearity.

Radisshu

Prophet
I hope SoZ will do well and make Obsidian want to do more non-linear games. There's not really any big gaming company filling that niche, well, if you don't count Bethesda, but they don't really do RPGs and they always make things really really easy. Level 1 champion of the arena.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Non-linear games are completely overrated. Especially here on the Codex. Its a nice feature but it doesnt make sense storytellling wise. To make it work, you would have to go extreme lengths and nobobdy has the ressources to do so if they want to make any profit.

And btw, why do people respond to Volly? Some kind of tradition? Isnt it a well known fact, that he is a fanboy, retard and troll?

BethesdaLove said:
And btw, why do people respond to Bethesdalove? Some kind of tradition? Isnt it a well known fact, that he is a fanboy, retard and troll?
fix`d.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom