Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which wargame to get: Rev Under Siege or WiTE?

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Help me choose my second real wargame, wargaming bros! Between Revolution Under Siege and GG's War In The East, which one would you recommend (first)? Which one will present more of a single player challenge while also being accessible to learn? And which one promises higher replayability?

Don't care for mods (if there are any for either) or online play so this is strictly going by SP campaign/scenarios/etc.

Thanks.
:bro:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
RuS is more varied I'd say since you have several scenarios and more factions. Not to mention I really like their engine. War in the East I didnt play but seems more hardcore. Also set in the usual setting of WW2.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
WiTE is bloody massive and a gargantuan timesink. It's also the most 'sim' like of the two. Has plenty of scenarios to play and has been patched and tweaked enough to be wholly impressive. The game to go to if you like 'grognard' wargames and actually do read the fucking manual.

RuS is prettier, easier to get into but also very heavily scripted. It is indeed more varied in its scenarios but also much more limited. Atmospheric as fuck though.

Both games have some gamey mechanics and both will require a hefty amount of time to actually learn to play them. Of the two I would suggest WiTE only if you got the time and stamina. If you do have it you'll find one of the most hefty and impressive wargames ever. Otherwise go for RuS. It's impressive in its own right and lots of fun. Considering that you're kinda new to this I would suggest you go for RuS.

BTW, which was your first real wargame?

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Thanks for the response, guys.

Trash: yeah I think I will start with RuS. Although I really don't have the time investment for either (stupid work, social life, etc) it sounds like Rev is the better option right now.

As much as I love everything Eastern Front I am intrigued by RuS' setting.

Only other wargame I played was Unity of Command, which may or may not be a real wargame per de but I loved it even though it kicked my ass at first.

If your time is limited then definitely don't go with WitE. It took me the better part of a year to get to where I feel competent at the game, i.e. able to hold my own in multiplayer, although certainly not one of the experts. It is very fun, however, and worth the time if you're a true wargamer/grognard at heart.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Only other wargame I played was Unity of Command, which may or may not be a real wargame per de but I loved it even though it kicked my ass at first.

UoC reminded me of the old Panzer General games in the way each scenario feels like a puzzle. That it has an AI that knows how to put up a fight and some novel supply mechanics only makes it better. Still, it is firmly rooted in a particular type of 'wargame.' If you like it you might want to try Fantasy General, Panzer General, Pacific General and People's General. Also do try Panzer General II. It's the best of the series. The Matrix re-imagining of the game is called Panzer Corps and it has more DLC/expansions than you can shake a stick at. Plenty of stuff to try. Btw, UoC does have two expansions you might enjoy.

Anyway, here are a few wargames I can fully recommend to anyone with an interest. Ageod's Alea Jacta Est is a deep and fun take on Roman era warfare with a host of good scenarios. Commander: The Great War is both an accessible and fun take on WWI. Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is a more traditional hex and unit grognard game with pretty graphics at the side. A host of good scenarios and some very interesting mechanics make it really worthwhile.

The venerable giant in the room here is The Operational Art of War III. Massive game that basically lets you play all sorts of campaigns and scenarios in all kinds of settings. Busloads of mods as well. It has its quircks and it's kinda old today but the amazing amount of content and variety really adds to it. If you like smaller scale scenarios then Battlefront's Combat Mission games are the way to go. They just released Red Thunder which has all the latest gimmicks, looks brilliant and has you toy around on the east front with squad combat.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Heh wow look at all those recommendations. TOAoWIII looks amazing and Red Thunder looks like it might scratch my ever-nagging Eastern Front itch.
The only problem with all this (and gaming in general)? Where do I find the time to play all these wonderful games?
Aside from quitting my job, divorcing my wife, shunning family and friends and bypassing sleep, I mean? ;)

I will start with RuS and let you know how I do.
Thanks again
:brodex:

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
WiTE is a love-hate thing. On one hand, it's so detailed, on the other, the balance is so wonky.

I know you don't care about mods but...

I've been maintaining Clovis' awesome Fatal Years mod. Try it against the AI and tell me how it goes. It's got a lot of extra rules and information so be sure to read the manual.

If you don't win as the Whites, don't be saddened. That's supposed to be the result unless you're very good.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xks27o966gg9rm9/FY 1.09_redux.7z

Mr Grisby is the only answer.

Prepare for massive murder and clay takeover.

Also, watch out for those black counters. Seriously. Watch out.

And kill as many of those fucks as you possibly can.

Nikolaj

Educated
Of the two games mentioned, I'd recommend War in the East. It seems overwhelming, especially when browsing the (rather poorly written and organized) manual for the first time, but the basic mechanics are not too complicated, and you'll be playing the game pretty soon. RUS is a good game, too, and my favourite AGE game, but in my opinion it suffers from too many unresolved bugs. There's a new version being beta tested at the moment, called RUS Davai, so even if you decide to go with RUS, you might want to hold off until that's released.

Also, War in the East is half price this week in the Matrix store.

Nikolaj

Educated
Well, it's being beta tested now, so I guess so. I haven't been keeping up, though, so I don't know for how long it's been in development.

Yes, but that's half the point. If you want an abstract strategy game there are plenty of options. WitE unapologetically goes the simulator route.

I'd classify the micro more as "intimidating" rather than "insane". I'd save insane for War in the Pacific.

Nikolaj

Educated
Actually, I don't think the micro-management in WiTE is necessarily too bad. It mainly depends on whether or not you insist on micro-managing your brigades, but it's possible to automate it, which is how I usually play it.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Yes, but that's half the point. If you want an abstract strategy game there are plenty of options. WitE unapologetically goes the simulator route.

I'd classify the micro more as "intimidating" rather than "insane". I'd save insane for War in the Pacific.

Yeah, "insane" micromanagement is trying to play one of those old clunky SPI board games that simulated an entire front(War in the Pacific/Europe, World in Flames etc.). Depending on the amount of players and time commitment, sometimes the games lasted months, or years....

That said, for a computer game, and even a wargame, WitE has a hefty dose of management.

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
I'd like to add another difference between the two games. WiTE is hex and RUS is not. This has been shown to give the AI massive problems trying to sustain any sort of front in AGEOD engine. Improvements have been over the years but it is still a concern.

Now, in RUS, this isn't such a big deal as it was a clusterfuck for main operations, but it shows it's weaknesses in the Civil War games.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
What "simulator route"? How it simulates commanding a front when it's a game about 1 person manually pushing zillions of counters?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd like to add another difference between the two games. WiTE is hex and RUS is not. This has been shown to give the AI massive problems trying to sustain any sort of front in AGEOD engine. Improvements have been over the years but it is still a concern.

Now, in RUS, this isn't such a big deal as it was a clusterfuck for main operations, but it shows it's weaknesses in the Civil War games.

It's good for ancient-era games, where you don't really have a front. BoA, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom