Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which total war?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Yup, TW 1 engine best engine, those stupids from CA should stick to sprites and collision from TW 1 to this day.

and i'm having more fun with medieval so far :incline:

zmjUJLn.png

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Which total war game is the one to play shogun 1 medieval 1 or 2 ?
Shogun 1 is the best for just vanilla gameplay. Medieval 2 is best for playing with mods. Rome 1 also has some good mods though, but they in general feel unfinished.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Medieval 1 by a landslide, just make sure to use the resolution fix and button fix. Series declined massively when it ditched the flat 2D Risk board style campaign map which not only made managing and moving units between nations a lot easier, but also was just much more atmospheric.

If you really need 3D campaign map, then play Medieval 2 with Stainless Steel or Rome 1 with Roma Surrectum (I believe it was called). Fuck the rest.

Tried to reinstall both Shogun and Medieval a while ago and found them to be (nearly) unplayable. Thanks for this! Going to give Medieval another playthrough. I had that one installed on my pc throughout college and never quite got enough of it. Amazing game.

And Konjad is bullshitting about Rome 1 mods. There's an endless supply of them with some genuine modding classics amongst them. One of my favourites is the mod that basically transplants the Medieval Viking Invasion Expansion into the Rome engine.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any recommendations for mods for Medieval 2 or should I just start with vanilla?
Broken Crescent is my favorite because it feels complete and quite detailed. Focuses on the middle east.
Then Stainless Steel, not as detailed because it tries to have as many territories as possible.

Other than that... many, really. But I'd but the two above as top priority, or at least Broken Crescent.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Rome 1 and Medieval 2 for mods... and while the wearied units from the latter are nice addition the battles feel less dynamic and more sluggish than in Rome +M

For quality fantasy mod try the post ITZ mod for Medieval 2 Thera the legacy of Great Torment:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?991-THERA-Legacy-of-the-Great-Torment

and Commissars favorite the Dominion of Men for RTW much more :obviously: and more Tolkienesque than LOTR made for Medieval 2 and based on this horriblu Peter Jackson movie:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?675966-The-Fourth-Age-Total-War-The-Dominion-of-Men-(Open-Beta)-Released-gt-DOWNLOAD-lt

Open beta was just released and its not surprisingly at all more polished than AAA crap like Rome 2 or Attila. :incline:

Barbarian Invasion mods for both and East of Rome for Med2 are much better than this crap btw.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I wish there was a TW focusing on ancient Greece, for example during the Peloponnesian War. This would fit the TW formula perfectly, unfortunately CA are to lame to actually do this.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Elder Scrolls Total War mod was released... kinda... if you govorish po Ruski cause the english patch is incomplete and breaks game so far:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?663038-The-Elder-Scrolls-Total-War

OK here is the post with fix you need to add at a top of english patch:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-Total-War&p=14397743&viewfull=1#post14397743

Mod is still in beta and der Kommissar would wish the units from Oblivion and Cyrodil as XV century England would be cut and replaced by original MK vision but its still more fun to play than III Age Total War which is non tasteful rape on Tolkien in der Kommmissar most humble opinion.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-elder-scrolls-total-war

Edit link to MODDB added.

Last edited:

Disgruntled

Savant
I think Medieval 1 and Shogun 1 are still my favorites, followed closely by Rome 1.
The three above stand as masterpieces of PC strategy, CA practically overachieved with the originals. So far ahead of the curve, they've since rested on their laurels from lack of competition.

Went to twcenter recently and some guy compiled a list of features from R1 compared to R2/Attila. It was rather disheartening to see how much has not been carried through to the newer titles. That said, ive already empired out and won the originals so I end up playing the latest release.
Id recommend Shogun 2 for new players for the mix of new and old. That may change to Attila after some patches.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Medieval had these crazy things you could do with agents, spies, assassins can be used not only against your opponents but also against your generals/leaders.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The three above stand as masterpieces of PC strategy, CA practically overachieved with the originals. So far ahead of the curve
Huge overstatement imo. These game were always pretty much a "baby's first grand strategy" that rode mostly on eyecandy and accessibility rather than challenge or interesting mechanics. And before anyone feels butthurt: that's not inherently bad.

A horse of course

Any recommendations for mods for Medieval 2 or should I just start with vanilla?

Make sure you have Med2+Kingdoms and play either the Retrofit/Custom Campaign mod or the Kingdoms Grand Campaign mod, which, in general add most of the features and factions from the Kingdoms expansion into the vanilla Med2 campaign. Once you feel comfortable with the game you can start looking at the more popular total conversion mods like Third Age, Warhammer, Game of Thrones, Broken Crescent, Stainless Steel, etc. as these mods are invariably aimed at experienced players and often feature a major difficulty spike, partly due to buffing AI factions and partly because they tend to add a lot of new campaign features that are not present in the original game, some of which you really need to read up on before actually playing.

I wish there was a TW focusing on ancient Greece, for example during the Peloponnesian War. This would fit the TW formula perfectly, unfortunately CA are to lame to actually do this.

The final Rome 2 (mini) DLC is about the Pony War, they just called it WRATH OF SPARTA to attract retards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disgruntled

Savant
Huge overstatement imo. These game were always pretty much a "baby's first grand strategy" that rode mostly on eyecandy and accessibility rather than challenge or interesting mechanics. And before anyone feels butthurt: that's not inherently bad.

Idk, for me the ability to actually play out massive battles is a big deal.
Its easy to go for campaign complexity when everything else is autoresolved.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I downloaded Empire: Total War a while back. Spent maybe 10 hours on it, and I couldn't play it anymore. The campaign is just too micromanagement heavy. I think they should've just kept it simple like Medieval II: Total War.

The ones I've liked best are Shogun: Total War and Medieval II: Total War. I'd recommend Medieval: II, though, because I've spent so much time on it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
How is the micro in shogun 2 and fall of the samurai ?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This is a great video

Rome is the best Total war. Look at that cavalry charge, it just mowes down through infantry like it should, with medieval 1 coming in close 2nd.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It looks cool, but it's unrealistic. Horses, who don't have armor, can't just push armored soldiers out of the way over and over.

Medieval 2 is flawed, but it's the best Total War.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
They can't push, but they would run over them. Which Rome is the closest one.

2:10 horse stomps a soldier.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not a matter of where it runs it over, it's a simple matter of weight ratio.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
They can't push, but they would run over them. Which Rome is the closest one.

2:10 horse stomps a soldier.

Thats a fantastic movie by the way. Though I think with hindsight the horses are wrong.
A friend has a real knights horse and it weighs almost 500 kg. Whereas the Arabs are fast but fragile, these horses would be slow but almost unstoppable.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So if you meant the strategy part. You are upgrading buildings and constructing new buildings in provinces, making units, some of which needs multiple turns to train, and when you have sufficiently strong armies to not be overrun easily, you are making monks, ninjas, and geishas. Ninjas and geishas have funny animations during theirs attempts, BTW geishas are cyborgs.

You are trying to get these rich/gold provinces. You are trying to compete with foreign trade points. Try to get provinces with iron for more quality weapons. And when you are not Oda you are trying to not piss others by diplomacy. Oda is in fucked up situation anyway, so one more gore doesn't matter to him. As Hatori you must be very careful to prevent people to gang on you.

Or you can play easy mode of west clans.

In Shogun 2, morale works, and commands during pause allows tactical combat. It feels much better than Rome II.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom