Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPGs are the best for beginners?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I don't mind that,if the mechanics are good why change them. Many people would like to see new BG game or Aracanum 2,and all of them will be pissed if they are different.

The issue with that school of thought is that you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who will say that BG2's mechanics are perfect; even the game's most ardent defenders will find flaws with it. The issue with any attempt to improve them is that beyond a few basics, what needs improving and how to improve it is a topic of much debate and contention.

Dorateen

Arcane
Oh btw make sure to have your thief steal all the stuff in stores (in the glass cabinets), there's no punishment for it

Good to know Scrooge doesn't consider

being thrown in jail for one year and receiving an "award" that labels the party convicted criminals
as something that counts as punishment.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh btw make sure to have your thief steal all the stuff in stores (in the glass cabinets), there's no punishment for it

being thrown in jail for one year and receiving an "award" that labels the party convicted criminals

That only happens when you attempt to steal with a non-thief.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane

That only happens when you atteampt to steal with a non-thief.
This is why government licenses exist.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

That only happens when you atteampt to steal with a non-thief.
This is why government licenses exist.

If it works for Ankh-Morpork it can work anywhere.

J1M

Arcane
I already played Baldur's Gate, IWD and PS:T.

So, which games a begginer in the genre should play now? Fallout, Deus EX, Arcanum, Age of Decadence, Morrowind...?

Tks in advance for the eventual tips.
Any RPG made in the last 10 years was designed for beginners at the expense of everyone else.

Atleticano
for a blobber try Paper Sorcerer; it is very accessible and newbie friendly. then M&M 5 and there are some solid jap blobbers for the DS - Dark Spire, Etrian odessey 1 to 3, SMT strange Journey etc.
Dark Spire and EO is a bit rapey for beginners though. SO i recommend Paper Sorcerer, M&M5 and SMT Strange Journey.

For hamster wheel hack and slash loot pinyata ones go for Titan Quest or Grim Dawn, Diablo2. personally I like Grim Dawn the best in this subgenre

For Roguelikes go for Tales of Maj Eyal => very accessible or beginners.

For cRPG; Fallout 1 and Arcanum.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Good beginner games need easy setup, easy to use interfaces, simplistic rulesets, and should also be enjoyable. So while I would advise you to play games such as Arcanum, Exile trilogy, Geneforge series, Morrowind, Planescape, Deus Ex, System Shock 1/2, Wasteland, Baldur's Gate, and the Gold Box SSI games further down the road, here are my suggestions for here and now:

Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 were good suggestions for beginners, though I would caveat that with advising you to stick to a certain character type and not spread your skill points too thin. In fact, if you find character builds to be too complicated of a thing as a beginner, you might want to stick with class-based systems instead of games where you advance through the distribution of skill points.

I also agree with Scrooge on some of the classic Might and Magics, and I would say both Might and Magic 3 and Might and Magic 4/5: World of Xeen are best for beginners that want to experience blobbers due to their very easy to understand user interface and mapping systems.

Final Fantasy Tactics is also pretty enjoyable on the jRPG side of the house, and you can grind if you run into problems advancing. It's a pretty forgiving game in that way, but the tactics are complex and may take a few reloads at the start before you really get into it. There are so many layers to that game that it can be fun to replay.

King's Bounty: The Legend falls under the easy to get into category of tactical RPG, and can be set-up to play itself with the auto-battle function. I can't say it's a great game, but it has its moments.

For action RPGs, Nox, Divine Divinity, Torchlight, and Diablo 2 are all fine choices. I found Nox, Torchlight, and Diablo 2 to be a bit mindless, but Nox and Torchlight had some light-hearted personality. I really like Divine Divinity the most out of all the action RPG recommends.

When you are ready for an action RPG that might require a bit more note-taking and puzzle solving while lighter on the RPG elements, then go for Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters. It's pretty tongue and cheek at times.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Good beginner games need easy setup, easy to use interfaces, simplistic rulesets, and should also be enjoyable. So while I would advise you to play games such as Arcanum, Exile trilogy, Geneforge series, Morrowind, Planescape, Deus Ex, System Shock 1/2, Wasteland, Baldur's Gate, and the Gold Box SSI games further down the road, here are my suggestions for here and now:

Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 were good suggestions for beginners, though I would caveat that with advising you to stick to a certain character type and not spread your skill points too thin. In fact, if you find character builds to be too complicated of a thing as a beginner, you might want to stick with class-based systems instead of games where you advance through the distribution of skill points.

I also agree with Scrooge on some of the classic Might and Magics, and I would say both Might and Magic 3 and Might and Magic 4/5: World of Xeen are best for beginners that want to experience blobbers due to their very easy to understand user interface and mapping systems.

Final Fantasy Tactics is also pretty enjoyable on the jRPG side of the house, and you can grind if you run into problems advancing. It's a pretty forgiving game in that way, but the tactics are complex and may take a few reloads at the start before you really get into it. There are so many layers to that game that it can be fun to replay.

King's Bounty: The Legend falls under the easy to get into category of tactical RPG, and can be set-up to play itself with the auto-battle function. I can't say it's a great game, but it has its moments.

For action RPGs, Nox, Divine Divinity, Torchlight, and Diablo 2 are all fine choices. I found Nox, Torchlight, and Diablo 2 to be a bit mindless, but Nox and Torchlight had some light-hearted personality. I really like Divine Divinity the most out of all the action RPG recommends.

When you are ready for an action RPG that might require a bit more note-taking and puzzle solving while lighter on the RPG elements, then go for Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters. It's pretty tongue and cheek at times.

Tks for the answer, I like a lot yours posts and reviews (I was reading your daggerfall review just today).

I must say one thing, I HATE easy games, I almost stopped BG1 because it was too easy (I had to mod it with SCS, because it was too easy even on insane difficulty). So, I am thinking that I will not like world of xeen because everybody said the game is just too easy with over simplistic battles. What do you think about it? I think I will start with mandate of heaven.

I bought divine divinity, lands of lore, M&M 1-6, Fallout 1+2, Jagged Alliance, Deus Ex, Shadowrrun Dragonfall and Ultima 7.

Tks.

Cael

Arcane
What do you think about it? I think I will start with mandate of heaven.

I don't think the later M&M games are much harder; difficulty was never the main draw of the series from what I've heard.
It has quite a number of demonic spiders in it that can suddenly end things out of the blue. So, more frustrating than difficult.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I must say one thing, I HATE easy games, I almost stopped BG1 because it was too easy (I had to mod it with SCS, because it was too easy even on insane difficulty). So, I am thinking that I will not like world of xeen because everybody said the game is just too easy with over simplistic battles. What do you think about it? I think I will start with mandate of heaven.

M&M world of xeen does not draw it's difficulty out of combat but instead how you explore the world. There is no tactical combat in any M&M starting with M&M III but they are among the best games when it comes to exploration and dungeon building. M&M VI and above are the same. Combat itself is simple but exploration and getting to know the world is what makes the "difficulty" of the game. Also going into the wrong dungeon and getting onehit by everything :D

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
What do you think about it? I think I will start with mandate of heaven.

I don't think the later M&M games are much harder; difficulty was never the main draw of the series from what I've heard.
It has quite a number of demonic spiders in it that can suddenly end things out of the blue. So, more frustrating than difficult.

And what games do you think are good for its difficulty, but, at the same time, is not excessive complex?

I am itching to play things like wizardry 6-7-8...

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik

M&M world of xeen does not draw it's difficulty out of combat but instead how you explore the world. There is no tactical combat in any M&M starting with M&M III but they are among the best games when it comes to exploration and dungeon building. M&M VI and above are the same. Combat itself is simple but exploration and getting to know the world is what makes the "difficulty" of the game. Also going into the wrong dungeon and getting onehit by everything :D

Nice answer. Whats your favorites M&M and why? I became interested too in isles of terra.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member

Nice answer. Whats your favorites M&M and why? I became interested too in isles of terra.

My favorite M&M is world of xeen and M&M VI-VII. World of Xeen just has that perfect exploration feeling since on every grid you might find smth while VI and VII feel very rewarding leveling up since you have a ton of skills to level up. Also VII has a very fun card game. M&M III is great too but is the hardest of the M&Ms after I and II (which are way harder).

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

My favorite M&M is world of xeen and M&M VI-VII. World of Xeen just has that perfect exploration feeling since on every grid you might find smth while VI and VII feel very rewarding leveling up since you have a ton of skills to level up. Also VII has a very fun card game. M&M III is great too but is the hardest of the M&Ms after I and II (which are way harder).

While that's a valid point, World of Xeen is still an easy game because other than time and dedication, nothing really bars you from exploring leisurely. I wouldn't recommend it to someone that states "hating easy games". Isles of Terra is my personal favorite. Hidden things everywhere, and a very challenging game that makes you really crave for increasing your power so you can get stronger. Exploration by itself is great, but when you're driven by need it's even better. Plus the advantage of starting at IoT is that Xeen comes right after, so you can keep playing in natural order.

Disclaimer: I haven't played II, VII or VIII.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik

Cool, I had not yet made my mind about what M&M I will play (xeen x mandate of heaven). I will read the manuals and some lets play on YT, but in respect to you I will see the xeen case with additional care.

PS: I have time to think because I am still finishing a solo Bg2 playtrough (I am already on ToB tho'). ^^

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Might and Magic X is nicely challenging in the first half. Combat approach and character building actually requires some thought there. Past level 15 or so you rolfstomp everything, but that is often the case in cRPGs. Combat is the best in M&M X, by far. Unless your wish is to quick-click-spam your way trough combat.

Cael

Arcane
Another thing: is ultima IV very dificult to a begginer? I loved the story of this game.

No. It is fairly easy going. You just need to understand what the virtues mean in-game, which may not coincide with your understanding of the word.

Cael

Arcane
Another thing: is ultima IV very dificult to a begginer? I loved the story of this game.

No. It is fairly easy going. You just need to understand what the virtues mean in-game, which may not coincide with your understanding of the word.

And is it cool to play the gog version with dosbox?
I don't know what version GoG has. My version is over 20 years old, and yes, you need DosBox to run it.

But the big question is: Is it free? Ultima 4 was released as a free game a long time ago, and anyone charging money for it is scamming people.

I know one of the newer versions (with VGA graphics) has has a game stopping bug in it that causes the game to freeze when you become a partial avatar of a particular virtue (Honesty or Humility, I think). I can't tell you which one for sure.

Cael

Arcane
I don't know what version GoG has. My version is over 20 years old, and yes, you need DosBox to run it.

But the big question is: Is it free? Ultima 4 was released as a free game a long time ago, and anyone charging money for it is scamming people.

I know one of the newer versions (with VGA graphics) has has a game stopping bug in it that causes the game to freeze when you become a partial avatar of a particular virtue (Honesty or Humility, I think). I can't tell you which one for sure.

It's free.
Good. I'd hate to see you scammed.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Ultima IV is an extremely easy game combat-wise, but you must pay attention, RTFM and take notes if you want to be able to advance, making it unplayable for most modern gaymers.

And be warned, the GOG manuals are not the originals and spoil some important stuff (like the solution to the final puzzle), so be careful.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Good. I'd hate to see you scammed.

I don't think whoever owns the rights to Ultima IV would dare to rip people off like that; even Beamdog made some "enhancements" before raising the price of the old BioWare/Black Isle games (though what they did for NWN is purely nominal).

Darkzone

Arcane
Man, RPG Codex with its indications of goold old rpgs saved my gamer life (not sure if this is a good thing), because newer games are so dumb and imature (aka Dragon Age series, and every AAA modern title with its rare exceptions). I am not a "true" gamer myself, but I am starting to love games again (I passed almost ten years without playing). Games like M&M, Wizardries, Fallouts (1+2), Ultimas (4/8), Betrayal at Krondor, Realms of Arkania, Darklands, Dark Sun, Deus Ex, Arcanum, Morrowind, JA2, Divine Divinity, Age of Decadence, SR Dragonfall etc really catched my attention for a world that was totally lost for me.
This RPGs were the pinnacle of computer games. The sad thing is that modern games rarely reproduce this feeling of gaming. I recommend you also Dragon Wars as a gaming gem and not only because of its cover.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom