Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPGs are the best for beginners?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
For blobers go for MM series but begin from MM8 and go down. MM6 and MM4 are the best ;) . Good third person ones well...begin with Witcher 3 then Vampires bloodlines and then go for Piranha games. Try out spiderweb games and Arcanum. Don't forget Deus Ex. D:OS 1/2 are pretty easy games if you don't go for hard.
why would one go for the inferior series? if blobber for beginner than wiz 8. and i agree about arcanum but spiderweb games is too open to interpretation. it's probably better to get burned out on geneforge than the others and then not be able to play geneforge.
Now now :) do you want to start a MM vs Wiz battle. Wiz is not much for neophytes in my opinion. Will recommend it after he gets more exp. As for spiderweb games,it is better to begin with the newer ones like the escape from the pit and crystal souls. All of their games are addictive for people that like them. If you get in to one of them you get in to all. I have replayed all of their games at least once.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Man, Anvil of Dawn absolutely ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tks so much Scrooge for your suggestions (this and world of xeen).

Look the style:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, Anvil of Dawn is a good game for beginners.
It's the evolutionary dead end of the Real Time Blobber genre started by Dungeon Master, though.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Like many have said, the logical followup to Baldur's Gate etc. is Fallout 1. It's got a similar feel of exploration and similar level of graphics and user friendliness, but better interactivity. It has turn-based combat rather than real time with pause. To be honest, I never liked this game for the longest time because of the interface (and I grew up playing RPGs on my Commodore 64), but once I put some time into it I was able to look over the interface and appreciate what a fine game it is.
Although I never could get into it when the game first came out, I finally put the time in and was able to finish the game a few years ago. Probably one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

If you ever want to attempt Wizardry, I recommend the PSX version of the first 3 games (Wizardry Llylgamyn Saga). It provides an easy to use interface, and you can customize the game to make it as comfortable as you like (you can choose modern or classic graphics, and can choose to enable an automap). Wizardry 1 is actually balanced very well, assuming you explore every square and use caution as you play. This really surprised me, since the game has a reputation for being brutal (even the DOS version is very playable actually). However, it is a game that you have to be in the mood for, so you might want to save it for a rainy day when you want to put some effort into it.

My next suggestion was going to be Anvil of Dawn, but others have suggested it and you seem to be playing it. I am playing through it myself actually! I liked it a lot at first, but a TON of the game involves weighting down pressure plates with rocks and even waiting for your mana to restore so you can progress through dungeons. You might get a bit bored later on, but it's still a fun game. Great music too!

I would also recommend Pool of Radiance, but it might be too much at this point. The interface is very hard to get into, even for someone who knows the game well. And you should know about Dungeons & Dragons if you want to understand it. You might want to put this on a list for later though, because it is really amazing.

If you like Worlds of Xeen, I am almost 100% sure you would like Might & Magic VI. I recently started playing that, and the interface seems very modern. Great feel of exploration and building up your characters as you figure out what's going on. Be sure to invest in bows for all characters early on. :)

Reapa

Doom Preacher
For blobers go for MM series but begin from MM8 and go down. MM6 and MM4 are the best ;) . Good third person ones well...begin with Witcher 3 then Vampires bloodlines and then go for Piranha games. Try out spiderweb games and Arcanum. Don't forget Deus Ex. D:OS 1/2 are pretty easy games if you don't go for hard.
why would one go for the inferior series? if blobber for beginner than wiz 8. and i agree about arcanum but spiderweb games is too open to interpretation. it's probably better to get burned out on geneforge than the others and then not be able to play geneforge.
Now now :) do you want to start a MM vs Wiz battle. Wiz is not much for neophytes in my opinion. Will recommend it after he gets more exp. As for spiderweb games,it is better to begin with the newer ones like the escape from the pit and crystal souls. All of their games are addictive for people that like them. If you get in to one of them you get in to all. I have replayed all of their games at least once.
i don't think anyone will argue that M&M is better than Wiz.
and you're telling me you replayed all the remakes?
spiderweb is notorious for making nothing but remakes.
the mechanics are being reused, the assets are being reused, the stories are not that special and the writing is samey.
Geneforge at least has a different enough setting to make it interesting. and that also only lasts for maybe Geneforge 1 and 2, not the whole series. soon enough the repetition of everything becomes unbearable.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
i don't think anyone will argue that M&M is better than Wiz.
and you're telling me you replayed all the remakes?
spiderweb is notorious for making nothing but remakes.
the mechanics are being reused, the assets are being reused, the stories are not that special and the writing is samey.
Geneforge at least has a different enough setting to make it interesting. and that also only lasts for maybe Geneforge 1 and 2, not the whole series. soon enough the repetition of everything becomes unbearable.
Not only the remakes :). I do like the mechanics,that i why i play their games. I don't care for change and innovations,if you have a winning formula just use it and improve on it.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
No need to argue which series is better, both are awesome for themselves and can hardly be compared.

Not everyone has enough money/time to make the choice between the two; therefore, they must priorities their choices.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Scrooge, is it necessary to mod or patch World of Xeen and Legends of Lore 1? I will buy this games from GOG.

Last edited:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Scrooge, is it necessary to mod or patch World of Xeen and Legends of Lore 1? I will buy this games from GOG.

As Jaesun said, no need to mod or patch anything. Just play on and enjoy :) In M&M you can even go with the standard party if you don't wanna spend time in character creation, the standard party does the job perfectly fine.

Oh btw make sure to have your thief steal all the stuff in stores (in the glass cabinets), there's no punishment for it (except your thief takes a bit of dmg when they don't manage to pick the lock).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i don't understand the concept of a beginner RPG. there is no such thing.

what OP really meant was to ask for recommendations for someone who has recently begun playing RPGs.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

what OP really meant was to ask for recommendations for someone who has recently begun playing RPGs.
There is,good example for it is spiderweb games. If you play the oldest ones first you can get turned off by how clunky they are and how bad the visuals are. Also you can't appreciate them enough.

Cael

Arcane
The original Exile was basically Ultima V style of play, except the numbers were basically all over the place and there are builds that you can take that would have even your mages hit HP cap.

Avernum, on the other hand, is no improvement. It is basically another game using the same setting and quest lines, or, if you really want to push it, party-based turn-based Diablo complete with skill trees.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't mind that,if the mechanics are good why change them. Many people would like to see new BG game or Aracanum 2,and all of them will be pissed if they are different.

Cael

Arcane
That's the thing. Avernum's mechanics are complete different from Exile's. It is a complete change in game mechanics.

2house2fly

Magister

Hot damn. So by "beginner" he meant "someone who has recently begun".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom