Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which CRPG hooked you into CRPG's, and how?

Panthera

Scholar
I bought a collection of D&D games a whole while back. It had Dark Sun, Stronghold, Dungeon Hack, Unlimited Adventures and Fantasy Empires. I was totally drawn in and loved them all.

Okay, no, Dungeon Hack kind of sucked.

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, they're the ones what sucked me in.

And I went willingly.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Phantasie. I'm so pissed that the one on Virtual Apple isn't as close as I remember. Shits, I think I'd even run it on DOSBox if I could find it. I never even beat the game!

1eyedking

Erudite
Fallout hooked me, though it wasn't the first RPG I played.

Little did I know that only its sequel would give me the same satisfaction. After that, it's been a lonely road indeed.

Luzur

Good Sir
dont we already have such a thread from Andharia?

first CRPG ever? Pool of Radience.
first CRPG that hooked me? Might and Magic II on C64.

Liberal

Barely Literate
Diablo. I played that game literally 24 hours a day, until I beat it for the first time, after which I lost interest with it (I never replay a game).

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Probably Eye of the Beholder, although I have dim memories if playing another one of those first-person old school dungeon crawlers that had about three colours, from when I was really young.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Cadaver. It was pretty shit, but there was something about it I strangely enjoyed. Not even sure it was a "proper" RPG to be honest. But it was fucking nails and led me towards other Amiga RPGs like Heimdall and Hired Guns.

Fenril

Scholar
Ive been a gaming addict from a very early age and im now 28.
The genre I liked the most once I got my fantastic 286 with no hardrive was graphical adventures, mostly stuff from lucasfilm and Sierra, a few strategy and actiony games as well.

My first proper rpg was the savage empire, one of the "ultima worlds" spinoff titles, basicly the ultima 6 engine and the ultima style adapted for a sort of primitive setting with....dinosaurs, and stuff. I found the savage empire different from anything I had played until that time, beyond the statistical character development and the hunt for better items I enjoyed the freedom in exploring a very vast world that was consistent and very detailed.
Then I got ultima 6 which I didnt like as much as the savage empire, ultima 7, the ultima underworlds. So these ultima games were pretty much what got me interested in western pc rpgs, although in retrospective I dont think they were that good overall, at least in the case of Ultima 7.

Fallout 1 and 2 were the ones that presented me with a world and style of play that I really enjoyed fully, Arcanum was great after loving the fallout experience. I tried both baldurs gate titles but never finished any of them because quite frankly I didnt enjoy them much, baldurs gate 2 had alot of interesting moments but also alot of cheesy stuff, also I didnt like the combat and spell system, not a big fan of ADnD for pc rpgs since.
Planescape torment I played much later, a pleasant surprise and a wonderful ride in terms of atmosphere and story, but the combat was mostly a chore, although not as irritating as baldur's gate 2.

Now my PC is too old to run the next gen stuff properly except stuff like NWN 2 on low settings ( another game I couldnt bring myself to finish). To be honest Im trying to avoid buying a new pc because I dont think I can justify spending hours upon hours playing a pc game no matter how good. I still itch for a good rpg from time to time and sometimes I fall into temptation and do a replay of a game I really liked.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
San Francisco, 1997.
7pm.

A breathing mask made of steel stared menacingly from the box I was clutching in my arms.

My journey into the darkness of Downtown was a troubled one.The natives would've called it a fetch quest with nary a second thought. Yet my ST was only 3, my AG was 1, and my speech skills, 3 years out of Russia, were below average. Needless to say, a poorly chosen random encounter could've led my journey far astray.

Yet there I was, hearing not the strangers in the bus around me, not the creaking of the walls and hissing of doors, but only the music in my head. The music of victory. For I have succeeded in my quest, and from that point on, my life would never be the same.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
OKay, serious answer now. My first cRPG was Betrayal at Krondor, but what really and finally sucked me in was Morrowind. I wasn't that keen on cRPGs prior to that. I had played the usual Fallout 1 & 2 and infinity engine games, but they didn't suck me in to the genre.

Ultima 1 back in early 1988. Had just gotten a Commodore 64 for Christmas and a little booklet that came with the computer had tons of full color pages of various games, applications, and hardware doodads for the machine.

For some reason Ultima's tile graphics appealed to me, and first chance I had to buy a computer game at B Dalton's Software Ect (now Gamestop and utterly unrecognizable as the same store chain..) I was gonna get an Ultima.

U1 was the cheapest of the available titles, and since it was the first one, what better place to start?

It then got me into fantasy novels, tabletop gaming, and basically cemented me being a massive not gettin any nerd.

Relayer71

Liturgist
I also played some early Wizardry, Ultima games and most of the AD & D Gold Box titles.

Can't say any ONE in particular hooked me. I'm in my late 30s so I was playing ANY kind of game in the early days of PC and console gaming whether it was an RPG, text adventure, space combat, action game, etc. Gods bless Sierra, Microprose and SSL.

I will say I took a long break from long PC gaming sometime in the mid 90s and didn't come back until 2001 or so and the first game that got me back into it was Fallout. Then I went out and picked up IWD, BG, PS:T and it felt like the old days when I was gaming into the wee hours of the night.

ever

Scholar
They're not my fav genre but Baldur's Gate 2 made me love them and Final Fantasy VI started my love affair with them.

Diablo brought me in, Morrowind made me stay and Planescape made me believe..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom